It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:55 pm

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 47 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 147

All times are UTC

Post subject: Beta 0.76, Windows/Linux
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:46 pm 
Site Admin

All right, beta 0.76 marks the point where Linux desktop becomes experimentally supported. Some reports have been heard about the demo build based on the same code working fine in Ubuntu Precise, Debian 6 and Mint, some with 32-bit and some 64-bit, but e.g. Arch 64-bit seems to be experiencing some issues with the non-bundled curl library. I'm working on this by downgrading my Linux dev setup and trying to bundle as many dependency libs in the package, we'll see soon how it turns out.

And here comes the change log for beta version 0.76:

linux: linux compatibility added
resources: resource tree revamped, introducing packages and overlays; mods made accordingly are easy to distribute, take into use and remove
outfits: support for multiple soldier outfits, a few added
effects: global particle effect support added, it's snowing in map4
modding: faction names and colors can now be defined externally
modding: map-specific weapon support added
weapons: rifle kill range reduced except sniper;
weapons: shotgun, pkm and mp5 boosted slightly, ak47 got nerfed
togglekeys: crouch and prone toggle logic reworked
opengl: a few glitches fixes
map4: step sound ref range fixed, was mixing hard and soft surface sounds
map2: renewal, new details and meshes added
maps: road surface paint improved
ai: driving improved slightly
config: remade using wxWidgets for cross-platform

Note, because of changes in the resource system, the mods are likely not working anymore or at least needs to be copied into the game differently than in < 0.76 versions.

Here are some general hints for modders about the new resource system, off the top of my head:
Weapon mods:
* weapon_specifications.xml is out of fashion these days, but it should still work, as long as you refer to it in the right/wanted place
* if you want to overwrite all weapons in all vanilla maps, you can do that by creating a folder in media/overlay and name it anything you want, e.g. my_weapon_mod, create weapons-subfolder under it, and copy your weapons specifications xml file there, and rename the file as all_weapons.xml.
* why this works? All vanilla maps are made to load weapons according a file all_weapons.xml in media/packages/vanilla/weapons/. Having content in the overlay-subfolder will override files with the same name.
* on another note, it's good to separate your new weapons in their own files, as seen done in media/packages/vanilla/weapons/ with the vanilla weapons. This makes it easier to mix & match them by other modders.

Map mods:
* content packages containing maps are best to copy under media/packages, right beside the vanilla packages.
* if the map mod is old, you may have to come up with a package name for it, as the map might have been distributed earlier without a package
* check out the vanilla-package for folder structure, if you're familiar with the old one, you see that textures, sounds, models, etc. are now actually there
* when the resources are loaded, whole of the vanilla folder is always gone through first to have some basis for content in the game, and then the chosen package and map are gone through; this allows one to vanilla resources in all other packages, so you don't have to have duplicates around
* later the system will be extended by allowing a package to become dependent of other packages as well by definitions in package config, in addition to just vanilla
* that's probably too much detail for most of people, just look at how vanilla.winter package has been handled and ask if you're having problems with modding

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:10 pm 
Site Admin

Linux players should note that there appears to be a rather serious glitch which makes text input impossible in-game -- try to avoid chatting and changing user name in-game. Gonna fix that, and the curl bundling, next thing in the morning.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:29 am 

This is soo nice, especially boosting MP5 made my day. It was so long that you'd need to shoot 2 clips to kill someone :)
Better looks is always a plus too, though I don't think I've seen any other soldier models yet. ComJak said that there's fur hats and rolled up sleeves, but all I'm seeing is the ordinary jumpsuit guy. Are the other guys more rare or something?

Speaking of soldier models, they get screwed up pretty easily in small resolutions now. I play with 1024x768 and they have holes all over their body even when not looking up-close.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:37 am 

Monsteri wrote:
ComJak said that there's fur hats and rolled up sleeves, but all I'm seeing is the ordinary jumpsuit guy. Are the other guys more rare or something?

Comjakovski saw squids and turtles in my game logo so don't rely on him! :D
Seriously, the new suits are only for map4.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

Monsteri wrote:
This is soo nice, especially boosting MP5 made my day. It was so long that you'd need to shoot 2 clips to kill someone :)
Better looks is always a plus too, though I don't think I've seen any other soldier models yet. ComJak said that there's fur hats and rolled up sleeves, but all I'm seeing is the ordinary jumpsuit guy. Are the other guys more rare or something?

Speaking of soldier models, they get screwed up pretty easily in small resolutions now. I play with 1024x768 and they have holes all over their body even when not looking up-close.

Doesn't look too bad here, even with letter box resolutions. Can you take a screenshot of how bad it is?

Rolled up sleeves are in non-winter maps.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:46 pm 

Here's the normal view: http://i.imgur.com/e4jiC.png
And here's slightly close-up view: http://i.imgur.com/G9Cmg.png

You can see much more holes and model disortion than in 0.70 for an example.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:48 pm 

Monsteri wrote:

Me!

Proud to be a RwR forum moderator!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:23 am 
Site Admin

Monsteri wrote:
Here's the normal view: http://i.imgur.com/e4jiC.png

You can see much more holes and model disortion than in 0.70 for an example.

That looks definitely weird, nothing like that here. If the point rendering and especially their sizes differ that much on systems, I may have to add a slider for it too in the options, rather disappointing really.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:41 am 

This is awesome! When I get my laptop and buy this game I will do my best to make some crazy mods! (Some things I plan may not be possible as of yet like throwing a granade that shoots (3) 3 round bursts while mid air if I decide to make a future themed mod for example and being able to change the soldier animations gives me some ideas)
Also is it possible to make tunnels or interiors of buildings at the moment? :D <--Pumped

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:38 am 

Droid15243 wrote:
This is awesome! When I get my laptop and buy this game I will do my best to make some crazy mods! (Some things I plan may not be possible as of yet like throwing a granade that shoots (3) 3 round bursts while mid air if I decide to make a future themed mod for example and being able to change the soldier animations gives me some ideas)
Also is it possible to make tunnels or interiors of buildings at the moment? :D <--Pumped

I think it isn't. They have decided not to have interiors if I remember correctly.

Look here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=486