It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:16 pm

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 48 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 138

All times are UTC

Post subject: Rapid-Fire Artillery
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:00 am 

With weapon production shut down for my mod, I've turned my effort towards the things I can work with; faction-specific calls and individualized throwables. Continuing on with my series of "kind of weird, but not really" questions, tonight focuses on the concept of an A-10 Warthog call with an appropriate cannon strafing run.

That said, my problem - as the title suggests - is that I can't quite get the call to do the whole "shoot fast" thing right. When using fractions of a second on the spawn time for individual round instances, it doesn't seem to work right - or at all, really. Fractions of a second just round up to the next second and send all of the cannon shells in at once.

As I seem to end a lot of my posts with, my question is simple; is this possible? Is it not possible directly, but doable with a workaround? Or am I barking up the wrong tree again?

I'M COOKIN' WITH GAS! I've got a handful of vertebrae and a headful of mad! Yeah! That's your spinal cord, baby! Dig it! Who's the man? I'm the man! I'm a bad man! How bad? Real bad! I'm a 12.0 on the 10.0 scale of badness!

Post subject: Re: Rapid-Fire Artillery
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:09 pm 
Site Admin

Seems right, the update interval is 1 second for call request processing.

If having several rounds at the same moment is handled correctly, you might be able to simulate more rapid rounds by spawning some of the grenades higher than others so they'll hit the ground later.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:18 pm 

That's what I've settled on. After doing a bit of work with the effects and spread pattern of the rounds, I've actually gotten it to look quite nice (or terrifying, depending on where you're standing).

Here's another thing that's bugging me, though; the shells come from a random angle, whereas the Warthog's shadow is always along the same path. As I doubt there's ever been a broadside variation on the A-10 model, I'd like to change that. I have some theories on projectile activation effects, but I'd love to hear suggestions before I go beating my head against the brick wall of what I don't know.

I'M COOKIN' WITH GAS! I've got a handful of vertebrae and a headful of mad! Yeah! That's your spinal cord, baby! Dig it! Who's the man? I'm the man! I'm a bad man! How bad? Real bad! I'm a 12.0 on the 10.0 scale of badness!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:19 pm 

The shells always come from 90 degrees up, directly above where they're going to land. I'm pretty sure the random-angle thing is a trick of your perspective.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:01 pm 

Using "vertical_offset_at_spawn" and "horizontal_offset_at_spawn", I can definitely tell that they're coming from different angles with each round instance. It's particularly noticeable in urban environments; shells from the strafing run cut into buildings at an angle and can completely miss targets hiding behind cover unless they spawn from the right direction.

The lower angle that the arriving call comes in at is entirely desired and I have no issues with it arriving from a random direction, but the disconnect between the shadow and gunfire isn't ideal. Were I working on an AC-130 strike, it wouldn't matter as much, but the more direct approach of the A-10 makes the difference a visual oddity I would like to get rid of.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:59 pm 

If you wanted to know, most A-10 strafing runs come from a nearly vertical angle, and from an incredible altitude. They do this to maximize accuracy and reduce collateral damage. It's also more effective against tanks, hitting the top armor instead of the thicker side, front, or even rear armor. The impact area is roughly circular, but every square inch is pretty much eviscerated.

If you want to keep it that way, however, I don't think there's any way to do that. Far as I can tell, you can't take the random angle from from one projectile and use it to get the other. You might, you might be able to fix the angle for both, though - but don't count on that actually being possible.