It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:54 am

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 43 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 91

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:43 am 

Me and 2 of my friends were trying to play together on my Halo mod. Just a quick match. Which I had port forwarded and successfully played with one of them the night before without error. But just tonight my new friend(Rick) whom I had not tested this before with experienced this error:

Code:
: Resource setup received
20:07:42: : game reset
20:07:42: : Complete sync packet received
20:07:42: : game reset
20:07:42: : ERROR, getting soldier group with id 33, not found, groups 10
20:07:42: : id=0, name=default
20:07:42: : id=23, name=Spartan
20:07:42: : id=24, name=Donator 1
20:07:42: : id=25, name=medic
20:07:42: : id=26, name=Odst Overwatch
20:07:42: : id=27, name=Odst AT
20:07:42: : id=28, name=Odst Casual
20:07:42: : id=29, name=Odst Stealth
20:07:42: : id=30, name=Odst Leader
20:07:42: : id=31, name=Medic
20:07:42: : execution halted
20:07:42: : uninit comms

The friend I had played with the night before(George) didn't have this error and we played on Keepsake Bay. After some troubleshooting with each other we thought it was an issue with the version. Which happened to not be the issue because we were all playing the exact same copy of the mod and version of the game.

So I had tried changing a few things around that were needed to be done anyways for the final release then sent the copy to George. Rick had left shortly after the error so I was never able to test it with him again.

George and I tried Bootleg Island to see if it would work and it crashed for him with the same error. I had 3 factions activated, So I thought maybe that was an issue so I decided to try Rattlesnkae Crescent. Same crash for George again. Leading to my last ditch effort, which was Keepsake Bay. George experienced the exact same error again.

I am completely lost on what the issue is. I tried looking for that line in my game.log to see what the next line was it would check for. But couldn't find it. So maybe I didn't look hard enough or maybe it isn't even there. Either way I need help to solve this :? So pls someone aid me :cry:

Note: Those names are not the actual names of the friends. I'm leaving them anonymous.

Last edited by Testpilot14 on Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:42 pm 

I'm having a similar issue with my mod and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's my issue:
In singleplayer, the mod works fine. There are no crashes or abnormalities out of the usual. I can play the campaign against all factions and encounter no issues.

This changes in multiplayer. When fighting against a vanilla factions, the mod works fine and there are no issues. Once you start fighting against the mod's new faction, however, clients crash with no error in the log and a generic crash dump pop-up. The server host is perfectly fine, but anyone joining is doomed to drop.

It's worth noting that clients can run around for a little while before crashing and it seems to have something to do with them actually encountering the mod faction's characters. If I had someone to test this with, I'd do more research on my own, but none of the people I play with are willing to help me on this matter.

If it would help, I can provide a crash dump. I just hope this is something I can fix myself.

I'M COOKIN' WITH GAS! I've got a handful of vertebrae and a headful of mad! Yeah! That's your spinal cord, baby! Dig it! Who's the man? I'm the man! I'm a bad man! How bad? Real bad! I'm a 12.0 on the 10.0 scale of badness!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:55 pm 

As far as I know I got it fixed with Testpilot. The client and the host had slightly different mod content. Testpilot, you could maybe edit this thread and tell that it has been fixed ;)

@Insano-Man: What you could do is starting a game, activating your server and joining with a second local client, you need to know the port of course and for the IP just enter "localhost". If it will crash then there is definitely something wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:51 pm 

Something is most assuredly wrong. I connected to my own server on my own machine and I reproduced the exact same crash. I was able to wander around the starting base just fine, but as soon as I started seeing necromorphs, the game gave up the ghost and crashed the same way.

I have a feeling this has to do with a specific character class as I was able to see a couple of slashers without crashing, but it boggles my mind as to why it'd only do this for clients and not the host or solo players. It's going to be Hell to try to narrow it down on my own - computer's about six years old and it's only gotten slower as time's gone on - but I'm going to do the research either way.

Update:
Seriously doubting that it's character classes now. I ran all of the spawn scores down to 0 save for the unitologist class (default, player class, behaves no differently than other factions) and it still browned its pants shortly after contact. I'm beginning to wonder if this might have something to do with my campaign scripts somewhere.

Double Update:
A few more crashes later and I found this in the verbose log. I don't fully understand what it means, but I do know it happened right when the game crashed.
Code:
13:20:25:                                         : send: <dummy_event />
13:20:25:                                         : send: is connected 1
13:20:25:                                         : send: success 1 len=23 num bytes=23 error=10035
13:20:25:                                         : Setting init data, machine id = 1
13:20:25:                                         : onUserDisconnected, force die
Seems that the "Setting init data" part has a hand in it somewhere as I've noticed twice over that it's popped up in the instant before the client crashed. I'm going to continue looking around the campaign scripts to see if it's there. Any advice on the matter will be greatly appreciated - to say I'm clueless is an understatement.

I'M COOKIN' WITH GAS! I've got a handful of vertebrae and a headful of mad! Yeah! That's your spinal cord, baby! Dig it! Who's the man? I'm the man! I'm a bad man! How bad? Real bad! I'm a 12.0 on the 10.0 scale of badness!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:14 pm 
Site Admin

Does the client produce a crashdump at %appdata%\Running with rifles\rwr_crashdump.dmp? If you send it to me at support@modulaatio.com or make it available in some other way I can take a look into it.

Testpilot14's case appeared to be because of game/mod content not being in sync between the server and client, it was evident by comparing the verbose game logs from the server and the client and studying the part where resources are loaded. The loading of factions, their soldier groups and their id handling was happening in different ways, suggesting that different content was being loaded from files.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:49 pm 

I've made more progress. I can reproduce the crash on demand by firing a pulse rifle near the client. I don't know if this extends to all other necromorph-related weapons or sounds, but it's a very repeatable crash and the first verifiable cause other than "something something necromorphs something something nearby".

Crash dump sent. Hopefully, it'll be of more help than the log and my useless sputtering.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:32 am 

JackMayol wrote:
As far as I know I got it fixed with Testpilot. The client and the host had slightly different mod content. Testpilot, you could maybe edit this thread and tell that it has been fixed ;)

@Insano-Man: What you could do is starting a game, activating your server and joining with a second local client, you need to know the port of course and for the IP just enter "localhost". If it will crash then there is definitely something wrong.

Good point, will do so :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:14 am 

I wish I could say I have happy news after all the testing I've done over the past couple of days, but I don't. If anything, I've only confused myself more.

I made a complete head-to-toe insert of a working weapon's code into my test candidate. Even despite this, it still caused a crash. It didn't use its original model, its sounds, its animations, nothing. I did further testing and found the root cause - which I honestly hope I'm mistaken on - of the client crashes. Whenever a weapon, whether it works to begin with or not, exceeds the index of 128, the game will crash nearby multiplayer clients if it's fired or not currently equipped by a character.

I really hope I'm wrong here. Having a hard cap of 128 weapons in multiplayer would seriously shut down new content generation for my mod, especially with regards to unitologist weapons.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:29 pm 
Site Admin

Got the crashdump checked now, found it in the spam folder :roll:

The dump is pointing to releasing a projectile from a weapon which type id has been interpreted as -115. It fits very well with your conclusion of 128 being the max count for weapon types in online.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:41 pm 

pasik wrote:
Got the crashdump checked now, found it in the spam folder :roll:

The dump is pointing to releasing a projectile from a weapon which type id has been interpreted as -115. It fits very well with your conclusion of 128 being the max count for weapon types in online.

Well that is a good idea and I am thinking of applying it someday soon.

Last edited by bennyowen857 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.