It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:05 pm

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 44 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 40

All times are UTC

Post subject: Short-Ranged Bullet
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:21 am 

I've been trying to make a gun that shoots lightning and I've gotten it mostly functional. I have the unique trail, the right sounds, and just about everything else, but I've hit a very serious snag in the way I want it to work.

For this weapon to look right, the "bullet" it shoots needs to stop existing entirely - visually and functionally - after a very short distance. I've gotten it to lose any lethality at the desired distance, but I haven't been able to get the bullet itself to disappear at that range.

I've gone over this a couple of times now and I just can't figure out how to do this. "time_to_live" doesn't seem to have any effect on the bullet's lifetime and using time triggers (which, admittedly, I don't have a whole lot of knowledge about to begin with) ends up causing some very strange behavior.

This whole thing is driving me bonkers. Is there something I'm missing?

I'M COOKIN' WITH GAS! I've got a handful of vertebrae and a headful of mad! Yeah! That's your spinal cord, baby! Dig it! Who's the man? I'm the man! I'm a bad man! How bad? Real bad! I'm a 12.0 on the 10.0 scale of badness!

Post subject: Re: Short-Ranged Bullet
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:03 am 

I'm not sure if you can make the bullet disappear entirely, but I've got a workaround for the moment. You could theoretically give the bullet very high gravity ("pulldown_in_air" in the code), which makes it drop faster into the ground, so it just disappears then and there. Regular bullets have a gravity of 4, try increasing that to 16 and see what happens.

Post subject: Re: Short-Ranged Bullet
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:53 pm 

I tried that not long after seeing your post and, unfortunately, the desired result was not achieved. The bullet still goes wherever the player points the weapon - I even tried increasing the gravity scale to 500 and, while there was noticeable drop on the projectile, it didn't manage to limit its range. Was worth a shot, though.

I'M COOKIN' WITH GAS! I've got a handful of vertebrae and a headful of mad! Yeah! That's your spinal cord, baby! Dig it! Who's the man? I'm the man! I'm a bad man! How bad? Real bad! I'm a 12.0 on the 10.0 scale of badness!