It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 11:19 am

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 46 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 108

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:38 pm 

I would really love to see this game support Steam Workshop. I would be more than happy to upload my Running with Trench Foot there for ease of use and updates, and I'm sure many other modders would use it too!

I would also really like to sell a mod that I'm currently working on (*not* Trench Foot, it's a Zombie mod that combines a wide variety of elements inspired by DayZ, Killing Floor, and other zombie games), and I just found out today that Steam is beginning to support selling mod content starting with Skyrim's workshop. I hope RWR devs will consider getting on that train as well! (I'm assuming <perhaps incorrectly, dunno> that a portion of mod sales also go to the original Game Developers.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:33 pm 

I'm not entirely sure you can sell your mod? I think you'd be allowed to monetize the download process, as in through an ad-fly link but i don't think you can physically sell a mod. But i've been wrong before.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:47 pm 

Steam (Valve moreso) has just allowed the developers of games to monetize any mods for that game. Moreover, the mod owner has no say in the process. Something that a lot of people don't find agreeable, me included.

Steam workshop would be fine, in fact better than what we have now. But monetizing the process isn't something I'm interested in doing or support.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:32 pm 
Site Admin

I don't know all the details about Steam Workshop monetization, but let's just say we are not looking into enabling it for RWR. There's just too much negativity going on with it, and most of it for very good reasons.

Quote:
Steam workshop would be fine, in fact better than what we have now.

There is a chance Steam Workshop support itself will happen at a later time. The main obstacle with it is that it requires a separate application to be created for uploading and managing the mod content.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:37 pm 

Maybe it's just my outlook on mods.

I can understand why you'd want to sell a mod but for me you're just editing what's already there. Even more so with Running with Rifles.

The Soldier wrote:
Steam (Valve moreso) has just allowed the developers of games to monetize any mods for that game..

So would it be Pasik getting money for mods, the mod creator getting money, or both?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:47 pm 

@pasik
Well, that's a relief. :) No mod purchase system, phew.

@SquellDay
It depends on how it's set up. It's generally split into some groups: the money the modder gets, and the money the modder doesn't get (which is further split into the money that Valve gets and the money that the developer gets). For example, with Skyrim (the only game currently to have the system, which seems to be backlashing horribly), the modder get a flat 25% cut (which to be honest is a rather pitiful amount - compare that to the Apple app store, which gives 70% to creators), Valve gets 30%, and the developer, Bethesda, gets 45%.

Oh, and furthermore, if the developer has a producer behind it (for example, how SEGA is behind the Total War series), the producer gets the final word. The developers can't even do anything at that point, let alone the modders themselves.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:52 pm 
Site Admin

SquellDay wrote:
The Soldier wrote:
Steam (Valve moreso) has just allowed the developers of games to monetize any mods for that game..

So would it be Pasik getting money for mods, the mod creator getting money, or both?

Somewhere it was said that content creator himself gets only 25%, rest of it is split somehow between Steam and the game developer. Sounds off if you ask me, especially if people go the lengths of making new models, maps, etc.

The Soldier wrote:
Moreover, the mod owner has no say in the process.
This part sounds so preposterous that I don't think even Steam would do it this way, but who knows :)

In Steam it is said for mod makers that "As creator of your Workshop submission, you get to set the price. You can specify a set price or choose to sell as pay-what-you-want and let the customer decide how much to pay.". http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/aboutpaidcontent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:58 pm 

Well, that's nice to know I guess. But that still doesn't mention if the mod creator has a right to put his mod up for being paid content in the first place (at least, I haven't found that anywhere so far). I guess that's still a bit unclear, but I'm going to remain pessimistic on that aspect until more information gets out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:07 pm 

pasik wrote:
I don't know all the details about Steam Workshop monetization, but let's just say we are not looking into enabling it for RWR. There's just too much negativity going on with it, and most of it for very good reasons.

Quote:
Steam workshop would be fine, in fact better than what we have now.

There is a chance Steam Workshop support itself will happen at a later time. The main obstacle with it is that it requires a separate application to be created for uploading and managing the mod content.

Fair enough. I will still look forward to SWS support as it will really streamline mod support for developers to make updates, and for the community to access them. Thank you for letting us know your considerations :)

The Soldier wrote:
Well, that's nice to know I guess. But that still doesn't mention if the mod creator has a right to put his mod up for being paid content in the first place (at least, I haven't found that anywhere so far). I guess that's still a bit unclear, but I'm going to remain pessimistic on that aspect until more information gets out.

I don't expect selling mods is legal unless the developer of the original game permits it; because most mods will contain (or utilize) the engine and some other resources which would be owned by the developer. I know selling Unreal engine mods requires a license (or did, now I think the new UE engine just requires a monthly payment to use the developer environment) and also (not 100% sure about this one) I think selling Source mods requires a license from Valve.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:13 pm 

Thing is, when you make a mod, you have to agree to terms and agreements to do so (generally with more "official" modding, like Company of Heroes 2, for example, with the official modding tools and Steam Workshop integration) - you pretty much sell your soul to the developer when making it. Relic Entertainment, at least, reserves the right to take down any mod for any reason, without warning and indefinitely. You don't follow what they want? Bam, your mod is no more.