It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:28 am

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 41 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 44

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:46 am 

SquellDay wrote:
Heres a download for the mod, let me know if the download doesn't work.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/bec5n ... uitMod.rar

So far in my first trial it really doesn't work, what is the possible solution for this to be able to work again?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:44 pm 

Something I've realised, which embarrassingly has been available the entire time, is that custom campaigns use a script to add overlays. and after editing the example custom campaign script provided by Pasik to get my mod running in a campaign it wont start.

It recognises my custom campaign, but when i click start it pauses, then nothing happens. So I checked the rwr_game.txt to see if that could give any insight and it just gives the error:

WARNING, failed to read a valid length

Does this ring any bells for something I've done wrong? If not I can upload the mod or the error files in my AppData\Roaming\Running with rifles. The script is the start_invasion.php. which i'm not also sure if i need to change the name of? just for etiquette's sake.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/4uxavbqihibpwic/ExtraFactions_x_GhillieMod.rar

Last edited by SquellDay on Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:45 pm 

FrankWood wrote:
So far in my first trial it really doesn't work, what is the possible solution for this to be able to work again?

The download link I posted was only to the mod overlay not the merged file version I had got running.
What is it you tried to do?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:41 pm 
Site Admin

I'll try to get to test the mod too tomorrow, finding it interesting how it's coming along. I hope the customized invasion example php was still compatible, I'm not entirely sure if somethings had already been changed there.

start_invasion.php doesn't need to be named in certain way, it can be anything. Spaces in folder names can be a problem, I vaguely remember a case where it caused challenges.

I wrote this one for getting started with custom campaigns: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2203. Realized I had forgotten the part about the start script that the overlays indeed need to be added there, so just defining that starter script in overlay_config.xml isn't enough for a custom campaign to work properly.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:01 am 

pasik wrote:
I'll try to get to test the mod too tomorrow, finding it interesting how it's coming along. I hope the customized invasion example php was still compatible, I'm not entirely sure if somethings had already been changed there.

Thanks I really appreciate the support and assistance you've been giving me! I spent quite a while looking into the Metagame.txt and rwr_log.txt and have been testing on a off with varied results. Sometimes to campaign loads without the mod, sometimes it crashes on 1% loading.

One thing i'm not sure of is the start_invasion.php has:
Code:
// include vanilla invasion gamemode class
include_once("../../../packages/vanilla/scripts/gamemode_invasion.php");

Upon checking the directory I noticed the file wasn't there, as you stated you hope the example was still compatible so i'm assuming you've changed a fair few things since it was made. That being said, am I right in changing the directory to:
Code:
// include vanilla invasion gamemode class
include_once("../../../packages/vanilla/scripts/gamemodes/invasion/gamemode_invasion.php");

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:44 pm 

Good news. I've managed to get the mod working in a custom campaign. My additional items and models are all there.

However i'm still getting an error when trying to launch the campaign as one of my modded factions. rwr_game and metagame don't put out info that immediately outlines an error so i'm unsure what the cause is.

Trying to add the extra factions through the php script causes the game to crash without any kind of exception handling so I've just commented that code out for now. It's there just in case i'm right in thinking that code is necessary, it's just I've missed a hundred things.

Here's the working version - minus the extraFactions. Please excuse the name, I don't really know what to call it.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/bd82a5vdud9t6x8/Factions_Ghillies.rar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:05 pm 
Site Admin

Good job! The reason it fails with any of the factions over the first three is probably that there's likely something in vanilla invasion that assumes three factions to exist for the system. It would need a closer look to get an idea what it is exactly.

At least all stage settings are configured for the first three factions only, but that as such shouldn't cause such a fail to happen. (friendly faction always gets rotated to index 0)

A modded faction, such as DesertStorm, appears to work fine at least if you do e.g. this:
Code:
// --------------------------------------------
class MyMapRotator extends MapRotatorAdventure {
   protected function get_available_faction_configs() {
      $available_faction_configs = array();

// these need to match with whatever lobby campaign menu finds from all_factions
      $available_faction_configs[] = new FactionConfig(-1, "brown.xml", "Brownpants", "0.5 0.25 0");
      $available_faction_configs[] = new FactionConfig(-1, "DesertStorm.xml", "DesertStorm", "0.8 0.8 0.0");
      $available_faction_configs[] = new FactionConfig(-1, "OpFor.xml", "OpFor", "0.8 0.0 0.0");

return $available_faction_configs;
   }
}

class MyGameMode extends GameModeInvasion {
   protected function setup_map_rotator() {
      $this->map_rotator = new MyMapRotator($this);
   }
}

$metagame = new MyGameMode();

all_factions.xml:
Code:
<factions>
   <faction file="brown.xml" />
   <faction file="DesertStorm.xml" />
   <faction file="OpFor.xml" />
</factions>

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:30 pm 

pasik wrote:
Good job! The reason it fails with any of the factions over the first three is probably that there's likely something in vanilla invasion that assumes three factions to exist for the system. It would need a closer look to get an idea what it is exactly.

At least all stage settings are configured for the first three factions only, but that as such shouldn't cause such a fail to happen. (friendly faction always gets rotated to index 0)

I tried your method and for some reason I can't get it work (I think it's just me though not your method). Does your method only allow for 3 available factions in the campaign?

One thing my friend did find was an alternate method to what you suggested which may allow for a campaign with 5 factions.
He copied all of the vanilla scripts and pasted them into the mod folder, edited map_rotator to include the extra factions, then edited the scripts entry point from
Code:
set_include_path("../../../packages/vanilla/scripts");

to
Code:
set_include_path("../../../overlays/xMod/scripts");

Which I think is what your method does but through the start_campaign? We placed all of the vanilla scripts just for safety and it works for now allowing us to play as any factions against the world.
So far in the campaign we played as the DesertStorm against the Brownpants and GreyCollars but only those. This means a campaign will only use 3 of the 5 available factions upon testing I had the Greenbelts against DesertStorm and Brownpants and also had DesertStorm against OpFor and GreyCollars.
I never planned for this to happen but it works quite nicely for a more random campaign.

I'd still like to get your method working as it's the more conventional way, and it's always good to trust the developers methods! I'll keep working on it, but for now there's a few bugs I'm getting with the modded campaign.

After you beat an area you always the get the final mission available and I keep spawning with an item in my inventory with a quantity of 0 which disappears after viewing my inventory - i'm not sure if that's a general bug or if it's due to me screwing around with files? I'll upload the latest version, Thanks once again for all your help Pasik!
http://www.mediafire.com/download/oppya2m886rbf6d/xMod_v1.0.rar

Edit: Got the proper Pasik method working. Thanks.

Last edited by SquellDay on Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:25 pm 

I know this is going off on a slight tangent. But if I were to edit a faction file to change the model of a character depending on their primary weapon. What would happen if they were to have their model changed by their primary weapon whilst also wearing a vest? Is their a hierarchy in which the game deals with models, for instance equipping the weapon then the vest leaves the vest model showing, and the vice versa, or would it just crash?

I'm asking because my mod allows the user to equip a ghillie suit, but what if i were to change the model requirements to have a sniper in the primary slot, this would allow for a vest to be equipped and all snipers to have a ghillie suit, meaning you don't get any ghillied up guys with light machine guns.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:36 am 

SquellDay wrote:
I know this is going off on a slight tangent. But if I were to edit a faction file to change the model of a character depending on their primary weapon. What would happen if they were to have their model changed by their primary weapon whilst also wearing a vest? Is their a hierarchy in which the game deals with models, for instance equipping the weapon then the vest leaves the vest model showing, and the vice versa, or would it just crash?

I'm asking because my mod allows the user to equip a ghillie suit, but what if i were to change the model requirements to have a sniper in the primary slot, this would allow for a vest to be equipped and all snipers to have a ghillie suit, meaning you don't get any ghillied up guys with light machine guns.

In my current dev version of my WWII mod, I've got things like that. In the end, it's determined by the order you equip them in - the last one you put on or take will be the one that affects the skin. For example, in my mod, if you're holding an MG, you get a different soldier model with some grass in your helmet and ammo belts across your neck. But I've also got a paratrooper vest that changes your character model into, well, a paratrooper. If you put on the vest and then take an MG, then your character model will be the MG model. If you've got an MG and put on the vest, then your character model will be a paratooper.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next