It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:46 am

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 42 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 33

All times are UTC

Post subject: Projectile customization
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:54 pm 

Hello everyone,

I was messing around with various gamefiles the past days and ran into some problems. I altered the tank main cannon to shoot more of a laser than a traditional tankshell. I created a .xml to represent the laser projectile but:

I. it is rotating around its motion axis depending on the direction the projectile is fired at. This creates issues since at some angles you can only see the top, bottom or side of the projectile. The only "rotation class" I found so far that would be suitable is "motion" but I havent found any line of code that would restrict the orientation in any way.

II. it is affected by shadows ( self and casting ) which is not desired for an object that presumedly emits light itself. I found the lines

Code:
lighting off
scene_blend add

in the flash.material file and tried to implement these into the projectile file of my laser.projectile but i didnt get it to work. I also tried pushing the alpha value in the laser.xml file to possibly overtrump the selfshadow of the laser midflight, with no success either. Is there a way to disable receiving and casting shadows for meshes/xml's ?

III. I havent found a way to parent the xml to a particle or emitter. Giving the laser some kind of glow midflight would look quite nice I think. The only workaround I could think of is using

Code:
<effect class="activated"

with a really high "emission_rate" and a really low "time_to_live" to create the illusion of a moving sprite but I consider that rather improvised. Is there a way to parent a particle/texture to a mesh/xml or even set a particle/texture as the visual representation of a projectile ?

Thank you and happy modding :)

---

Edit:

After some talk in IRC it seems the resources needed for this are not externalized in the current version. The mechanics that attaches the bullettrail to the bullet of smallarms would come in handy here.

[18:22] <@JackMayol> ya, we might gonna change that, add that to your thread Eloxite and we might externalize it as well to allow customization

So yeah, if this could be addressed, thank you very much in advance :)