It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 9:18 pm

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 48 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 23

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:22 pm 

Long time no see hmmm? I had some computer related problems that led to a completely new computer.

Now to my idea about this mod it is somewhat computer related, but can be extended outside of what I suggest here.
As a backround, I'm currently using all three. One at work, two at home, and all seem to have their up's and low's and it does not really matter, since in the end, if it boots and connects to internet ITS GOOD ENOUGH. And still people (on internet) seem to think it is very important that a) they are using the one and only one that works properly and b) everyone else should use the same thing.

I'm talking about Windows, OSX and GNU Linux/OpenBSD. When I was building my new hardware setup I was reading some forums and found out that the war is raging. Mainly between Win and OSX people, there was some Linux geeks too, but the real flame was between Win and OSX (because who the f**k uses Linux? ;) )

And then came the idea. As it seems RWR will be ported to OSX too, it would make it a perfect platform for a Platform wars. You could reprisent the OS Platform of your liking and show with your martial superiority that which platform really is the best.

All we really need in te beginning is three faction named Windows, OSX (or Mac OSX) and GNU Linux (or GNU Kernels if you are really in to that stuff, and who wouldn't be)
+ Faction fitting wears (OSX is the easyest here, white/grey ("silver") overalls for them, maybe a blue shits with brown pants (business casual) for Win and tux for GNU (randomised civ clothes would be best since there is a million distributions of those around)
+ Faction specific weapons is a key for the success, I think we could use kinks as the names of the weapons. For example Win guys dont have granades, but "blue screen of death bombs" etc
+ All faction should have at least one weapon that has a kink in it too. Like a machine gun with a 100 bullet magazine, that will only fire in 35 bullet bursts (usability issue), or rocket launcher that can fire 2 rockets once, but in the opposite direction than you are aiming (know issue with a easy workaround available) or assault rifle with so high rate of fire that its nearly impossible to fire a burst that would leave some bullets for reserve (you need to reload almost every time after firing, and high rate of fire can only be good right?)

And offcourse, this mod can be extended to other platform types (Soda wars, StarWars vs Star Trek vs something else, code editor wars etc)

So that is the idea, problem I have is time, and my skill set. A I can modify text files just fine on my own. I have limited programming ability. But on visual side im so limited that my 4 year old niece draws better stickperson than I do. 3D and animitions are way out of my ballpark.

So, If anyone is interested, I can put some effort to this (on unknown time scale) and hopefully someone can do something on vizual side too.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:16 am 

k i didnt quite get the idea now, mind explain more shortly and better the idea? My brains sucks i know.....

EDIT: no wait i think im getting it now. Well hell why not :D may the war begin between the operating systems! I could also contribute something to this mod. Guns, some other small things :D

btw linux could have soldier skin like penguin,
lol i actually got some ideas already.

But yeah i can join up with visual side. Well the soldier skins are not a interest of mine but maybe someone else can do that.

steam vs origin XD

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:45 am 

Yep basically the starting idea is just OS Wars, but with a little change that can turned to more "adjustable" mod like:

Quote:
steam vs origin

Yeah, this is the kind of stuff I was talking about. And this would then unlock the fight between "Steam" faction and "Windows" faction. You know since Gabe went and said those few selected words about Win8...

And then there is the Coca-Cola vs Pepsi thing too.

I could try to clear up the original post, it is not the best one.

Pinguines as linux "soldiers" is very good idea too. That would cover also having the "Tux" in the mod.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:43 pm 

what we are basically missing now?
Those guns and dat probably, guns are whatever to be same but if needed/ wanted those can be modified.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:33 pm 

joneau wrote:
what we are basically missing now?
Those guns and dat probably, guns are whatever to be same but if needed/ wanted those can be modified.

I think all we need to do is come to some understanding about naming of the things we are going to mod.

To get started I propose:

3 factions (I will start by looking into renaming the faction / what else is needed on that front)
Windows
Apple (or Mac OSX)
Linux

-Faction specific clothes
- Looking at Windows lately I think they have a thing going on with blue. Maybe "skyblue overalls"?

- OSX I think should be "silvery" outfit (Lately tho they have used black / silver contrast)

- And Linux... if you can manage the penguines that would be awesome. :D Maybe thorw in a red fedora or something? Just so that Linux and OSX can be differentiated with ease.

-Weapons
- At the beginning I think I will just mod the weapon names and add some faction specific quirks. I will work with just the standard models for time being, but a few special models would go well with the scope? maybe?

If you have any ideas for the weapon names / faction specific quirks on the guns feel free to throw them in here. BSOD Bomb / Rocket (win) and Kernel Panicator (linux) are going in definately going in. For OSX.. something about that BeachBall but dont have a good specifier for that (all related to the system crash)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:14 pm 

:D good to start on those, ill try to get some penguin skins from somewhere.

Hmm, maybe riot shield could be named as anti virus system and placeable cover as firewall :D

law could be a virus cannon
medikit could be advanced system care
vest could be personal firewall
Nothing else coming to my mind at the moment