It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 9:46 am

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 44 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 122

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:34 pm 

Well hello there. Hail and well met! :)

I'm Techmight and I've got a proposal for all you modders.

I came in here somewhat dubious about how much modding capability this game has. But seeing as there seems to be a pretty healthy amount of content produced relative to the number of game owners, I think I could give this a shot.

I've got 3 questions, but before that: I'm new here. I've played RwR (or at least tested around with the demos) since .60 I believe. However, this is my first time on the forums. This is not my first rodeo regarding modding, tinkering, or getting a team together to accomplish a goal. I'm just new to this particular niche of the Interweb.

The questions stand as follows:

One: What kind of modding tools are necessary to make mods for RwR? If they are unique to RwR, what learning curve do they have?

Two: Have any of you heard of Planetside 1 and Planetside 2? If not, here's a few links with info/vids that should describe it pretty well.

http://www.planetside2.com
http://www.planetside-universe.com

Three: Would anyone be convinced that working on a total conversion (ALL sound, background/maps, textures/models, even the addition of new gameplay/changes to current gameplay, if possible) that centers RwR around the PlanetSide 2 universe to be something that is possible?

I'm convinced that this is possible. RwR supports 3 factions (there are 3 in PS2), there are ways to insert new art into the game through use of overlays, and the gameplay seems to already be moving in the general direction of PS2-which is to say, massive, deadly, and enjoyable fights.

I'd like any and all feedback that I can get. If a few of you are interested in getting this ball rolling, I'll work with you as much as I can while balancing this with real life. :cheers:

-Techmight

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:01 pm 

ill answer your questions,

1. well you need 3 programs for simple modding :
text editor(modding stats)
voxel editor(weapons and soldiers skins)
advanced picture editor(the artwork,HUDs,rest visual which is not voxel made) like gimp or any other similar kind of.

for more advanced modding example creating a map, you need a edit:inkscape not blender as jack told
NOTE: these are minimum tools (someone fill the list if its not complete)

2. yes i have heard and played planetside 2 but not the first one.

3. i can consider it if i would have more time, ive got school and my mod which i should focus more.

Last edited by joneau on Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:46 pm 

Hi Techmight and welcome to the community! :)
Joneau is right about what he said but for making maps you need not Blender, but Inkscape. Comjak wanted to make a map tutorial which didn't happen yet though :D
If you want to make custom vehicle models you need something that exports as *.mesh file, Blender does this with an addon and it is the tool we use (it's free).
We still wonder why noone made a custom vehicle model yet, which is a modding part noone touched yet afaik (apart from harrified but he didnt release it (yet)).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:55 pm 

JackMayol wrote:
We still wonder why noone made a custom vehicle model yet, which is a modding part noone touched yet afaik (apart from harrified but he didnt release it (yet)).

well im just too lazy for that, and actually blender is too professional for me to understand XD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:22 pm 

Thanks guys. I feel quite welcome. :D

I actually took a look at Running With Bolters, and that's right up my alley in terms of what I want to do. I want new sounds, new weapons, new models for units, new effects and damage, along with a custom UI.

The maps would be based on PS1-style areas, and overall it would have more of a Planetside 1 feel to it. PS2 has some stuff in it that I honestly don't think would fit in with RwR very well (JETPACKS. How on earth could I code that?? :lol: ) so I'll stick with ground-based units and vehicles like the AMS/Sunderer, Harasser, etc. I really think it'd be cool to do.

I would probably need some help though, if I decide to get started on it.

In short, if I DO decide to go forward, I'll make a post within the next while* with a storyboard-style plan of what exactly I'd want to do. From then on, people could contribute ideas, media, anything they want to. Including joining up to help. :)

*could be anywhere from tomorrow to next month. Depends on how things go. :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:48 pm 

Indeed. A PS2/PS mod would fit RWR quite well. Especially since the vehicles are all pretty much set for you except aircraft.

Anyways, definitely ask Harrified or MrNuckFuggets for help if you need any. They seem to be the most well versed in the creation of overhaul mods.

ComJak

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 1:44 pm 

Hey, I know its been a while, but I am wondering if you are still working on this mod. I have kinda started my own in a similar vein, but I am doing PS1 style weapons and armor.

Currently have the 3 factions all modeled and added, as well as a standard assault rifle to go along with. Anyways, good luck, and I hope to get a response from you. Would be interesting to see another take on planetside for RWR.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:54 pm 

I'm fairly sure he's gone now :(

ComJak

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:28 pm 

About Techmight:

Code:
Last visited:   14 Aug 2013, 21:22

So ya, unlikely he'll come back anytime soon.