It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:27 pm

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 43 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 151

All times are UTC

Post subject: Decreasing RP Loss?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:18 pm 

One change I haven't liked since the last version is that you now lose RP instead of XP on death, and you lose quite a lot. Is there any way I can change that?

Post subject: Re: Decreasing RP Loss?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:55 am 

Suspicious Pilgrim wrote:
One change I haven't liked since the last version is that you now lose RP instead of XP on death, and you lose quite a lot. Is there any way I can change that?

You lose RP on death because you're Re-buying your last loadout that you had died with. I believe there is a way you can change it, but i'm unsure how to.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:24 am 

That's a pretty stupid system - you have to pay for the grenades you ran over while in a firefight.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:52 am 
Site Admin

That's a pretty stupid system - you have to pay for the grenades you ran over while in a firefight.

Nothing to do with those grenades you picked up before you died in particular - you anyway drop most of them when you die and you don't carry them to your next life. When you respawn, you're filling your loadout as much as you can afford / carry, which could mean more than you had in your previous life.

Before this change, it used to be that you spawned with random amount of stuff for free, that hardly had any logic in it.

You can change it by modding all stock weapon and grenade prices to 0 RP, that's nearly equal to the old system, with the exception that you'll get max loadout regardless of chance or your RP level.

Anyway, the system will still go through some changes, that's for sure. One thing that needs to be handled is the sandbag barrier items, they cost plenty, and if you die having those as your secondary weapon, it means you'll respawn with them too, losing a lot of RP. Well, in a way, that should tell you to try not to die especially when acting as an engineer, or change to another role at the armory if you can't handle being an engineer.

Another idea floating around has been that once you reach a certain RP level, you'd get armory stuff for half price / free, fitting the idea that R stands for relation - you're in so good relation with superiors that they don't think much of it if you're wasting their resources and pulling minor favors. Not sure though if it makes much sense in gameplay, as if you had much RP, it would seem you're doing good job obtaining it, and losing 10-20 RP on respawn wouldn't hurt you that much anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:04 pm 

Losing 10-20 RP is pretty punishing, in my opinion. The manual says pure PVP rewards 10 RP a kill, which would balance everything out, but in campaign you have to gather collectibles and only cash them in when you want to call something in. Considering how often I find myself the only soldier attacking in campaign mode, I think the 10 RP a kill should be extended to campaign as well.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:56 pm 
Site Admin

Losing 10-20 RP is pretty punishing, in my opinion. The manual says pure PVP rewards 10 RP a kill, which would balance everything out, but in campaign you have to gather collectibles and only cash them in when you want to call something in. Considering how often I find myself the only soldier attacking in campaign mode, I think the 10 RP a kill should be extended to campaign as well.

10 RP a kill would sound fairly pointless against bots. Drop a successful mortar strike on them and you almost get that 100 RP back from the kills you make with the strike. Also K/D around 10 and killstreaks of 60 can be quite common in campaign.

Playing against people it's very different. In PvP without bots, most of people have K/D below 1.

It's obvious there's a lot of range in playing skills as well, so ultimately there needs to be some options for campaign too that will allow some convenient customization how much things cost or how big rewards you tend to get from things.

We won't go into that stuff until we've found a system we're happy with. E.g. one way to ease the pain of losing RP at respawn would be that you'd spawn with max 50% loadout fill - your rank could allow carrying 4 grenades, but you'll spawn with 2 grenades if you can afford it. This would halve the "price of dying" in general + bring some of that crate smashing back into the game.

Completely different idea I was juggling with the other day was that what if XP didn't really exist, or at least wouldn't have too much meaning in the game itself, but RP would be the thing. Fellow bots would follow you based on your RP level, you'd obviously have to get some RP from bot kills too this time. Didn't think it through yet but it would at least mix the system up so that you would potentially lose lots of bots from your squad if you requested one of the bigger favors, could be interesting, or not.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:39 am 

I think XP and RP should remain separate. Your rank commands authority and subordinance from lower class soldiers, whereas RP is supposed to represent the resources HQ has authority, and is gained through extending their reserve, i.e via capturing territory. Perhaps certain spots on the campaign map should give some sort of RP generation to the player when they reach a high enough rank, though this is reset every map change?

In any case, the point I'm trying to make is that it's impossible to maintain a decent RP level in the campaign at the moment.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:10 am 

it's impossible to maintain a decent RP level in the campaign at the moment.

Absolutely not, as long as you concentrate on staying alive first, and then the objectives second.
Gather items and weapons to sell, the armory sometimes request enemy non-rares, they'll get you 100 RP each, that's enough for two vests. And then with vests it should be a bit easier to stay alive.
Also at the start, before you rank up enough to have some more squadmembers, try to go for the same objective the AI does. As long as you do that you shouldn't be the only one attacking, and sticking close to friendlies greatly improves your chances for survival. Even more so if you have a vest, because a medic might be nearby in case you get hit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:16 am 

I feel you could borrow a concept from Red Orchesta 2 (though in there it's reference to XP, rather than RP as I propose) where if you kill enemies while you are in the capture zone for an objective, it'll give you 1 RP for every kill. If you shoot an enemy in the capture zone, it's also 1 RP per kill. (This would stack for a total of 2 RP per kill if both are in the objective zone) This would only apply to current objectives (IE: what your commander is telling you to attack or defend).

Currently there's a 50 RP bonus when you capture an enemy base. We could have some sort of defending bonus (25 RP?) to allow defenders some sort of RP income as well.
From a gameplay perspective, this will provide an incentive to defend. From the perspective of "relation points" as you mentioned, Pasik, a commander is also likely to be pleased with you for attempting to defend an objective (though, of course, not as happy as you going out and TAKING an objective) though.

So - against AI you have the possibility of getting a few RP here and there by fighting at the objectives of the commander orders. And ANY base you defend will also net you some RP (similar to how it works for attacking - just be in the zone during capture)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:08 pm 

I think XP and RP should remain separate. Your rank commands authority and subordinance from lower class soldiers, whereas RP is supposed to represent the resources HQ has authority, and is gained through extending their reserve, i.e via capturing territory. Perhaps certain spots on the campaign map should give some sort of RP generation to the player when they reach a high enough rank, though this is reset every map change?

http://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/en/