It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 1:16 am

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 49 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 55

All times are UTC

Post subject: Fancified maps.
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:54 am 

So I opened up the map files and to see if I could add the actual base borders to them.
Before I knew it I had been fiddling with them in PS for three hours or so and then they looked like this:

More screens:
http://imgur.com/a/fQOCv

DL:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/279 ... MapMod.zip
To install simply unzip this to your RWR folder.

Edit: Now it is a set of overlay mods. Thanks, Pasik. :mrgreen:

Last edited by DoomMetal on Fri May 10, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Fancified maps.
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:46 am 
Site Admin

Hmm, true this couldn't be made with single overlay mod, but it would be possible with separate overlays for each map. Each overlay_config.xml could be set to target the right map, so the correct overlay option would appear only for the specified map in the map changing menu.

Code:
overlay_config.xml:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<overlay>
   <target package="vanilla.winter" map="map4" />
</overlay>

I haven't tried that in a while, but that's how I think it worked.

The maps look great btw! Been intending to pimp the map view texture generation myself for a long while now too, would need a way to make it completely automated.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:08 pm 

pasik wrote:
Each overlay_config.xml could be set to target the right map, so the correct overlay option would appear only for the specified map in the map changing menu.

I tried this now and it shows up in the right map when selecting overlays, but when I load the map it still shows the vanilla one.

pasik wrote:
The maps look great btw! Been intending to pimp the map view texture generation myself for a long while now too, would need a way to make it completely automated.

Thanks. :)
And yea, a better automated map "baker" would be neat.

The .psd files for this are set up so that I just need to change out the exported layers though. Almost everything here is done trough styles and adjustment layers. I think I could make a Photoshop action for it to automate it.
The obvious downside to this is that it requires Photoshop. :P Gimp gets so terribly confused when confronted with Photoshop styles, or at least it did last time I tried it.

Now if only there was a way to automate the layer exporting from Inkscape somehow...

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:56 pm 
Site Admin

DoomMetal wrote:
pasik wrote:
Each overlay_config.xml could be set to target the right map, so the correct overlay option would appear only for the specified map in the map changing menu.

I tried this now and it shows up in the right map when selecting overlays, but when I load the map it still shows the vanilla one.

Hmm, that's surprising. The overlay locations are added last as resource locations, which should mean they override everything else.

In which subfolder under your overlay root folder did you add your modded map.png? It's only those specific folder names that get picked up for resource loading, which are factions, fonts, models, names, particles, sounds, textures, weapons, vehicles, items.

DoomMetal wrote:
pasik wrote:

Thanks. :)
And yea, a better automated map "baker" would be neat.

The .psd files for this are set up so that I just need to change out the exported layers though. Almost everything here is done trough styles and adjustment layers. I think I could make a Photoshop action for it to automate it.
The obvious downside to this is that it requires Photoshop. :P Gimp gets so terribly confused when confronted with Photoshop styles, or at least it did last time I tried it.

Now if only there was a way to automate the layer exporting from Inkscape somehow...

The RWR Inkscape extension shipped with the installer under tools-folder does some layer exporting, the terrain splat and height layers are exported separately, and it combines most of layers into that placeholder-y map view. I suppose it would be possible to adjust that to fit the exporting needs here.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:46 pm 

pasik wrote:
In which subfolder under your overlay root folder did you add your modded map.png? It's only those specific folder names that get picked up for resource loading, which are factions, fonts, models, names, particles, sounds, textures, weapons, vehicles, items.

I just copied the folder structure as it was in the vanilla folders. Like this: "overlay_folder/maps/map1/map.png". I forgot that only the filenames mattered, hehe. :roll:
I put the "map.png" in textures now and then it worked. :D

pasik wrote:
The RWR Inkscape extension shipped with the installer under tools-folder does some layer exporting, the terrain splat and height layers are exported separately, and it combines most of layers into that placeholder-y map view. I suppose it would be possible to adjust that to fit the exporting needs here.

Oh, that's nice. I didn't look into that one yet.
I wrote a quick Processing sketch for exporting each layer to a separate transparent png, and it seems the only thing it didn't quite get was the heightmap, with only parts of it visible (the "cloudy" part was gone). The processing .svg implementation has some bigger limitations than I initially thought.

Here's the processing sketch in case anyone is interested btw:
Code:
PShape rwrMap;

void setup() {
  rwrMap = loadShape("objects.svg");
  exportLayersToPng(rwrMap);
  exit();
}

void exportLayersToPng(PShape svgFile) {
  println("Exporting layers:");
  PGraphics pg;
  pg = createGraphics(2048, 2048);