Game servers 42 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 75

All times are UTC

Snipers!
GET DOWN! 54%  54%  [ 7 ]
Cover me! 46%  46%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 13
 Post subject: Snipers! GET DOWN!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:41 am 

Now, I have this crazy idea of new "role-specific" Sniper Rifles. I honestly couldn't find anything right away about snipers in the forums (and guilty for not looking hard enough... maybe) but I thought we just might expand on snipers a bit, just a bit.

Okay! First up, a Heavy Sniper Rifle! Doesn't matter to me what brand or name of it, but I was thinking of it acting about on the same lines as the M240, firing from a supported position or prone. Here is where others can pick up the call: could it have longer range? or maybe nullify vest wearing Runners? or maybe have some light vehicle penetration? I personally like the longer range.

Next up is the Suppressed Sniper Rifle! I thought maybe some elaboration on the stealth side was in order! Same effect as the MP5SD, just sniper form, obviously haha! Now I cant remember if the rare sniper, the VSS (I think) is suppressed. Had it for like 5 seconds, then decided to become a ragdoll, story of our lives! So if it is, don't need suppressed snipers anymore! If its not, more power to the thought!

Last and certainly not least, something Marksman-ish! Really you could just call it an assault weapon like the g36 with a smaller clip and single fire. You could also just click-tap for singles on a auto weapon, but this would be kinda cool! Im not sure what else to add to this. Can't expand on a assault weapon too much,unless you DO call it a sniper and decide to put a scope on it for like a slightly longer range than a regular assault rifle, but there ya go!

If I think of anything else Sniper-y, I'll stick it up here. But not now! we must see what others think first. Till next time Runners!

Post subject: Re: Snipers! GET DOWN!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:41 am 
Site Admin

Rinn wrote:
Now, I have this crazy idea of new "role-specific" Sniper Rifles. I honestly couldn't find anything right away about snipers in the forums (and guilty for not looking hard enough... maybe) but I thought we just might expand on snipers a bit, just a bit.

Okay! First up, a Heavy Sniper Rifle! Doesn't matter to me what brand or name of it, but I was thinking of it acting about on the same lines as the M240, firing from a supported position or prone. Here is where others can pick up the call: could it have longer range? or maybe nullify vest wearing Runners? or maybe have some light vehicle penetration? I personally like the longer range.

Longer range is basically not possible, not in the way vanilla is normally played. Only the close surroundings of the players' positions are in active state, while the farther away area is being approximated; physics don't apply, soldiers are nothing but moving points, results of battles are simulated with giving a chance for someone to shoot and a chance to make a hit effectively making bigger squads win most of the time, but not always.

There is a way around it, http://modulaatio.com/runningwithrifles ... e_switches and no_simulation -- this will make the whole map active, also means visuals aren't ruled out from rendering that well (they still should be largely), so expect a performance drop.

Playing with that switch, it would be possible to use weapons that have sight_range_modifier set to something much more than was it 160% as max in vanilla.

Quote:
Next up is the Suppressed Sniper Rifle! I thought maybe some elaboration on the stealth side was in order! Same effect as the MP5SD, just sniper form, obviously haha! Now I cant remember if the rare sniper, the VSS (I think) is suppressed. Had it for like 5 seconds, then decided to become a ragdoll, story of our lives! So if it is, don't need suppressed snipers anymore! If its not, more power to the thought!

Yea, VSS Vintorez is a suppressed sniper, I've also had my hands on it like once :) Was alone in Sainte-Anne on one of the bridge towers in the middle in Invasion, farming XP by taking down numerous Greys and Browns, took forever until they ended up looking in the tower.

Quote:
Last and certainly not least, something Marksman-ish! Really you could just call it an assault weapon like the g36 with a smaller clip and single fire. You could also just click-tap for singles on a auto weapon, but this would be kinda cool! Im not sure what else to add to this. Can't expand on a assault weapon too much,unless you DO call it a sniper and decide to put a scope on it for like a slightly longer range than a regular assault rifle, but there ya go!

Dragunov SVD is set to sit somewhere between assault rifles and M24-A2, but I think it's not that effective currently as it used to be when it was introduced when it was a bit overpowered. I believe we will be adding a few alternatives like that as rare weapons later.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:46 am 

What a nice ideas :) Telling the true - I support both of them :) I think that kind of havy sniper rifle and suppresed sniper rifle would be great. Don't get me wrong though. They would be great, but they are not necessary, nor needed. It would be just fun and good to have it :)

Heavy Sniper Rifle - heare I do not agree with longer range, and reason is purely mechanical - curently sniper rifles have very long range, to the point that in some cases you are able to see "border of action" (it is aera afther which battle is not played, but simulated, so there is no bots, just pure AI calculations). If Heavy Sniper Rifle would have even longer range, than you would easily see to places where action is just calculated by AI. And since there is nobody there, you may not shoot anybody. So why have longer range at all? Should that matter change - I would be supporting also longer range. This is what I would suggest insted - no, or nearly no recoil from shooting, small vehicle penetration (can kill soldiers in truck), total man penetration (so you can kill many with one shoot). Of course long reloading time and long magazine reloading time.

Suppresion Sniper Rifle - yes, VSS is suppressed, but it is rare weapon so does not count in my book. In my opinion suppresed Sniper Rifle would be great.

And yes, some kind of marksman assault riffle also would be interesting - with silgle bullet per click :) I am all for it :)

<I had been slower than Pasik... Still decided to post what I managed to write without making any changes>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:11 am 

just simply grab that sniper and SHOOT!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:17 pm 

joneau wrote:
just simply grab that sniper and SHOOT!!!

I agree! Although I do like some variety in what kinda sniper I shoot. sometimes

Modest wrote:
What a nice ideas :) Telling the true - I support both of them :) I think that kind of havy sniper rifle and suppresed sniper rifle would be great. Don't get me wrong though. They would be great, but they are not necessary, nor needed. It would be just fun and good to have it :)

Yeah! Sniping is sniping, but its a tad different in RWR than a FPS or 3rd person game. Therefore I love unnecessary weapons and the sort, adds variety!

pasik wrote:
Here is what I think

Modest wrote:
And here is what I think as well

And both of your points are pretty good! I learned that we have simulation going on outside a certain range of my runner, and that the VSS is suppressed (maybe I should pay more attention!)

Modest, I love your idea for the Heavy Sniper of hitting runners inside closed-in vehicles, as well as the reload time. I was gonna add to the point of smaller clips if more useful stuff like the many-man hit was added. Something like 5 or 6 rounds, adds balancing maybe!
-I liked the idea of a Suppressed Sniper just because of the fact that you wont always find the awesome VSS in the battlefield. Same effect to this as well, 5~6 rounds of clip, at least I thought that might work
-And Single Fire rifles would be too cool. Something maybe along the lines of a FN SCAR stuck on single shot, what kinda rifle would you choose?

Pasik, you have taught me much on how to mod my game to make sniping from longer ranges doable, but I rather keep my performance, haha!
-I was admiring the VSS after I picked it up, although it was smack dab in the middle of a brown raid. I never did get that rifle back... Fortunately another one popped up just the other day so I played secret spy while dropping in airborne troops!
-For this matter, what are you saying man?! The SVD is still in its prime in my eyes, its like the M24 drank a red bull!

There! so glad you gave your opinions (and facts I was oblivious to), so now I retreat and come up with more weapons to bring to the table! Kinda like, if the Greens have the G36, and the Browns have their AK47, will the Greys have their own faction weapon? or will they share the others rifles forever more?. In my opinion, I kinda see Greys with the G36, Browns with their AK47, and Greens with some weapon that fits them. Maybe an ACR? Someone tell me some opinions!

Done for now, have fun!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:04 pm 

Oh :) I am so glad to se here some disscusion starting :) Well, I will be more than glad to put my opinions every now and then ;)

So just to give one about faction specific weapons - the way I see it...

G36 should be for greys. Reason? Grey sound/looks like Nazi for me - it is dark and sinister, and want to prove that Grey is the strongest color and can rule other, weaker ones ;) And G36 is actually a German weaopon. So it fit.

AK47 goes to brown, as they are like Warsaw Pact Army, which is trying to bring communism to other colors of course ;) There can be no mistake about it ;) Right? :D

As for greens, currently I would suggest M16 to be their assault weapon, as they are the "Good guys" of western democracy, which are coming to liberate You, wheder You want it or not (so they may end up liberating You from Your liberty ;) ) But M16 is not standard assault weapon as AK47 or G36, as it has series shoot, so I would opt for adding another, third assault weapon which would be working in the same way as AK47 and G36, but with slighty diffrent stats (G36 and AK47 have diffrences in how they are working, right?). I would suggest Brithish L85A1/L85A2 to fill that role.

Why not ACR? ACR seems for me a bit too modern... AK47 designed in 1947, and modernised several times (with core design still intact - real master piece in my book). G36 put into mass production in 1995. But ACR is from 2006, while L85A1/L85L2 is from 1985 (mass production). Which is making it a little better fitting than American ACR in my opinion.

But do not get me wrong - this is not an argument agains ACR. It is only argument, why it should not be a standard faction weapon. I think that such modern weapon could make great rare gun :)

And digresion from mine side - I would LOVE to see forth faction in game, which would be Japan based ^^

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:09 pm 

The faction specific weapons were made more for Invasion campaign where it would be green vs greys. Thus, the weapons are only split among greens and greys rather than with brown as well. So the G36 I think is a green weapon and the AK is a grey weapon. At least that is how it is now afaik.

ComJak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:55 pm 
Site Admin

ComJak wrote:
The faction specific weapons were made more for Invasion campaign where it would be green vs greys. Thus, the weapons are only split among greens and greys rather than with brown as well. So the G36 I think is a green weapon and the AK is a grey weapon. At least that is how it is now afaik.

ComJak

The Browns are in Invasion as well.

The split currently is as follows:
Code:
function get_green_resources($faction_id) {
   return
      "<command class='faction_resources' faction_id='" . $faction_id . "'>\n" .
      "   <weapon key='g36.weapon' />\n" .
      "   <weapon key='m16a4.weapon' />\n" .
      "   <weapon key='m240.weapon' />\n" .
      "   <weapon key='mossberg.weapon' />\n" .
      "   <weapon key='m24_a2.weapon' />\n" .
      "   <weapon key='mp5sd.weapon' />\n" .
      "</command>\n";
}

// --------------------------------------------
function get_grey_resources($faction_id) {
   return
      "   <weapon key='ak47.weapon' />\n" .
      "   <weapon key='g36.weapon' />\n" .
      "   <weapon key='famasg1.weapon' />\n" .
      "   <weapon key='m240.weapon' />\n" .
      "   <weapon key='spas-12.weapon' />\n" .
      "   <weapon key='m24_a2.weapon' />\n" .
      "   <weapon key='mp5sd.weapon' />\n" .

"   <weapon key='dragunov_svd.weapon' />\n" .
      "</command>\n";
}

// --------------------------------------------
function get_brown_resources($faction_id) {
   return
      "   <weapon key='ak47.weapon' />\n" .
      "   <weapon key='famasg1.weapon' />\n" .
      "   <weapon key='pkm.weapon' />\n" .
      "   <weapon key='mossberg.weapon' />\n" .
      "   <weapon key='dragunov_svd.weapon' />\n" .
      "   <weapon key='qcw-05.weapon' />\n" .
      "</command>\n";
}

Now that the faction specific resources are supported, there is more "space" again for more weapons, and I agree Green full auto assault rifle could be changed to something else. The weapons will end up near clones from each other inside a weapon class stats-wise, but in terms of theming, it would be nice to have more weapons, in Invasion at least.

Faction specific weapons will be enabled for quick matches too in 0.91 I believe. I guess there could be an option to disable it as well per match rather than using a mod, but if all weapons are enabled for all factions, armories will end up hard to use because of too many items (with 2/3 of items just being skins and sounds for the 1/3 of items).. so not quite sure what to do with it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:07 pm 

Quote:
...armories will end up hard to use because of too many items (with 2/3 of items just being skins and sounds for the 1/3 of items).. so not quite sure what to do with it.

How about that:

In pvp weapons must be more equal for each side. But it is also fun to have every weapon possible to have. So why not put weapons into three categories.

1. Common Weapon
Like now - you can get it everywhere, you respawn with it, you see bots running with it, you can get it in armory.

2. Uncommon Weapon
You may find bots having it on each side, you may respawn with it, but you may not get it in armory.

3. Rare Weapons
Like it is already.

Uncommon Weapons would not be OP, they should fit nicely to Common Weapons. Only not to be aquired in armories.

Quote:
The weapons will end up near clones from each other inside a weapon class stats-wise

I have strong hope, that by saying "near clones" You really have in mind NEAR clones :) Right? :) You know, this type of clones that one have a bit higher chances to kill, while other a bit better aim on long range, and other only a bit faster reload... And by bit, I ment really only a bit. Eoungh to know about it, but not eoungh to say - this one is cleary better than other two.

And my question - how is it looking right now betwen AK47 and G36? Are they clones?

Ahh! I forgot, and wanted to ask many times before! What is that deal with Neosted 2000 right now? It cost 100 Requsision Points and no bots have it. Was it on purpose? Or mistake? :) I wan't to point out, that if it is on purpose - I am by all means NOT negating such decision. I am just interested why :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:19 pm 

Oh. well since my campaign doesn't work yet :D

Also, for a green AR, you can use the M4.

ComJak