It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:07 am

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 39 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 57

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:17 am 

Welcome :) This will be another short suggestion.

Currently each weapon has certian % to kill on hit. If somebody have vest, than he is not killed, but injured and needs a medic. But those are serious injuries. I would like to suggest some minor injuries. Those would be happening when You got hit by enemys' fire, but not killed (or seriously injured). What would be their effect? I would say to keep it simple - character slowing down for some short time, so it does not really matter when fighting entrenched war, but when trying to run away it would be making it harder. That is all, thank You :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:48 pm 
Site Admin

0.90 has the vest set up with 3 stages, first lethal hit gets ignored, second hit stuns, third hit wounds.

Later, it will be possible to define different probabilities for kill, wound, stun or no particular effect for weapon projectiles. Tweaking stun animation and length for vanilla (or modding it) could be used to do what you suggested, for slowing down movement without getting killed.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:32 pm 

Quote:
0.90 has the vest set up with 3 stages, first lethal hit gets ignored, second hit stuns, third hit wounds.

Wow! So vests will be a lot more usefull! :) Great! Not that it is useless right now - it is very usefull even in it's current form (partly because it is also cheap).
And all that sounds great :) It seems like 0.90 will bring a LOT improvments into RWR :) Can't wait! ^^

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:00 pm 

pasik wrote:

Later, it will be possible to define different probabilities for kill, wound, stun or no particular effect for weapon projectiles. Tweaking stun animation and length for vanilla (or modding it) could be used to do what you suggested, for slowing down movement without getting killed.

Thats perfect Pasik. I was hoping for that!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:20 pm 

pasik wrote:

GG snipers. You're useless now.
GG stealth. You're useless now.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:57 pm 
Site Admin

The price on vest has also gone about 10x, so chances are PvP still won't see too many vested soldiers, which I prefer. I personally don't see vests fitting PvP in the first place, but it's there anyway currently. Would be easy to disable it server side of course but I hardly understand PvP anyway, therefore it's an everything's-enabled-sandbox -mode.

I still think only rare weapon -heroes should be using a vest, hence the price. Not sure though if the price is enough yet :)

The probabilities to make hits wound rather than kill in vanilla will be set somewhere in the range so that killing probabilities stay about the same as they have been, with a small chance of getting wounded on top of that. That way there should be the same amount of dead guys and a few more wounded rather than alive ones.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:53 am 

Papa wrote:
pasik wrote:

GG snipers. You're useless now.
GG stealth. You're useless now.

I agree i think. Not a fan of vests for purchase.. Or purchasing at all really but everyone knows that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:25 am 
Site Admin

MattFromElkford wrote:
I agree i think. Not a fan of vests for purchase.. Or purchasing at all really but everyone knows that.

This is a deviation from topic obviously, but I do want to know more about this. We had that chat about purchasing calls (practically same as with DocStone on forum, your stand was that calls could preferably all be open for use but would require different ranks and times to become available, using any of the calls would reset the timers so to speak -- probably analogous with mana that accumulates over time and has cap, spells cost different amounts of mana, mana cap increases with XP to unlock new spells), and I can relate to that to a degree with calls, but I still prefer the current way, for now.

Having player to have to choose what he has at his disposal on his mission is better I think -- basically you buy scrolls which get consumed on execution. Getting to an armory should also not be an issue as if you were doing the major tasks to get stuff from armory, you would've ended up in the armory anyway. Taking those valuables there makes you be there, and you're right there to do a few purchases now that you got RP from the delivery. At this point, you prepare for your next (self chosen) mission by getting the right items and calls, e.g. stealth mission will need a completely different set of stuff than run & gun.

Let's say you went for such a mission and got plenty of paratrooper requests with you, using most of your RP. On this mission, it can not happen that you'd suddenly again have a lot of RP for more calls which to your disappointment you can't use as there's no armory -- that simply doesn't happen as you need the armory to get the big chunks of RP in the first place, getting and using RP happens largely at the same spot :)

Ok, if we step aside from calls, and consider whether items, such as vests, weapons, support items should or should not be purchased (or exchanged). What would be the alternative solutions for this? Getting stuff for free at the armory, being able to spawn items at your position by request? I sense again the issue is with getting to the armory, but I fail to see the logic as you basically should be there every now and then. You can also select your spawning position after you've got killed, so you could choose to spawn closest to an armory too if you've got RP from other stuff than deliveries.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:38 am 

pasik wrote:
MattFromElkford wrote:

This is a deviation from topic obviously, but I do want to know more about this. We had that chat about purchasing calls (practically same as with DocStone on forum, your stand was that calls could preferably all be open for use but would require different ranks and times to become available, using any of the calls would reset the timers so to speak -- probably analogous with mana that accumulates over time and has cap, spells cost different amounts of mana, mana cap increases with XP to unlock new spells), and I can relate to that to a degree with calls, but I still prefer the current way, for now.

Having player to have to choose what he has at his disposal on his mission is better I think -- basically you buy scrolls which get consumed on execution. Getting to an armory should also not be an issue as if you were doing the major tasks to get stuff from armory, you would've ended up in the armory anyway. Taking those valuables there makes you be there, and you're right there to do a few purchases now that you got RP from the delivery. At this point, you prepare for your next (self chosen) mission by getting the right items and calls, e.g. stealth mission will need a completely different set of stuff than run & gun.

Let's say you went for such a mission and got plenty of paratrooper requests with you, using most of your RP. On this mission, it can not happen that you'd suddenly again have a lot of RP for more calls which to your disappointment you can't use as there's no armory -- that simply doesn't happen as you need the armory to get the big chunks of RP in the first place, getting and using RP happens largely at the same spot :)

Ok, if we step aside from calls, and consider whether items, such as vests, weapons, support items should or should not be purchased (or exchanged). What would be the alternative solutions for this? Getting stuff for free at the armory, being able to spawn items at your position by request? I sense again the issue is with getting to the armory, but I fail to see the logic as you basically should be there every now and then. You can also select your spawning position after you've got killed, so you could choose to spawn closest to an armory too if you've got RP from other stuff than deliveries.

What about being able to pick primary, secondary, and kit from a spawn menu?

The problem for me is that if I have to around picking stuff up off the ground to go sell it, I'm spending like half the time I'm alive just interfacing with the armory.

You were saying earlier that most anything could be para-dropped onto the field as well.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:53 pm 
Site Admin

MattFromElkford wrote:
What about being able to pick primary, secondary, and kit from a spawn menu?

Why not just spawn at the armory? I'm sure there's a spawn point there. Having both armories and spawn menus would be distracting.

Quote:
The problem for me is that if I have to around picking stuff up off the ground to go sell it, I'm spending like half the time I'm alive just interfacing with the armory.

I usually collect at least 2-3 items before I end up going to the armory (if I die with them, I spawn and fight to get the items back), unless the armory is right there where the battle is, and I've never felt I'm spending too much time at the armory - quite the contrary, I'd like the armory to be more important than what it is.

Weapon swap is an ok basic thing to do at the armory, but I hardly ever do it at the armory myself, I always change my "class" based on a whim and the items I happen to find. Now that vests allow you to survive extended periods with k/d ratios of 60:1 and more, getting to an armory to purchase a vest makes a good purpose, there could be a shortcut button to refill grenades and secondaries too to make it even more useful for this kind of long lasting survival. The cover deployment items are coming in 0.91, I've found myself refilling those multiple times at armories which is pretty nice.

There's also a new objective type announced by armories for bringing in enemy weapons for RP prices and unlocking the weapon, but that's just another way of obtaining RP than anything else. Also RP is now reduced when respawning when your items are filled, so indeed you need to keep the relation up with the superiors somehow.

What makes armories a bit less important in 0.91 is that call handling is changing, in that you don't need to purchase the calls as items from the armory, instead, you have access to any calls you can afford with RP. I'm not sure if this is the right change to do, but we're trying it now. It removes the scroll/strike code thinking turning the call into just a request, requiring good relationship with superiors for them to fulfill your requests.

Quote:
You were saying earlier that most anything could be para-dropped onto the field as well.

The items don't exactly come with parachutes if you try it with a mod, they bounce around when they hit the ground. It is possible to control the height of the drop though, so if you can live with it, they can just appear in front of you.