It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:24 am

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 40 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 97

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:27 pm 
Site Admin

Some kind of bullet points about the rules and the game mode system would help a lot, whoever that is that is going to try scripting some of those objectives and set up the mode.

Getting even one of those objectives running would be a great start :)

The main system in the mode is still a bit unclear to me. Do you, as players + some AI, hold one base as home base and you always spawn there and start the objectives from there, and base capture logic is disabled? Or when you complete a certain objective, a certain base is given to you, as a kind of checkpoint where you can spawn and continue on to other objectives until you've this way captured every base in the map?

I'm kinda lost how linear or non-linear the mode is and how the objectives are generated for the players. E.g. are all objectives available at all times or do they generate and become announced to the players one by one? Are they generated randomly or is there a defined plot behind them?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:52 pm 

pasik wrote:
Some kind of bullet points about the rules and the game mode system would help a lot, whoever that is that is going to try scripting some of those objectives and set up the mode.

Getting even one of those objectives running would be a great start :)

I'll add bullet points to sum it up in the main post. I don't know scripting so I don't know howto make them myself...

pasik wrote:

The main system in the mode is still a bit unclear to me. Do you, as players + some AI, hold one base as home base and you always spawn there and start the objectives from there, and base capture logic is disabled? Or when you complete a certain objective, a certain base is given to you, as a kind of checkpoint where you can spawn and continue on to other objectives until you've this way captured every base in the map?

I'm kinda lost how linear or non-linear the mode is and how the objectives are generated for the players. E.g. are all objectives available at all times or do they generate and become announced to the players one by one? Are they generated randomly or is there a defined plot behind them

There isn't a base for the players to spawn, they have a very small area "Radio HQ" where they receive missions and thats it. The way players respawn would be the "Officer" player who calls in re-enforcements, thats why players need to protect him.

Missions come one at a time, after each mission is complete the players go back to where their "radio" is and recive another randomly selected mission. There wouldn't be any friendly AI aside from friendly NPCs needed for the Mid Mission Objectives or if the player is playing single player.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:50 pm 
Site Admin

newabortion wrote:
There isn't a base for the players to spawn, they have a very small area "Radio HQ" where they receive missions and thats it. The way players respawn would be the "Officer" player who calls in re-enforcements, thats why players need to protect him.

Hmm, that certainly complicates things up to point that it's hard to get even started with an early hack of the mode.

The biggest gap for that is that the only way for a player to gain control of a soldier is by spawning, and spawning happens through spawn points, mobile or static. Static spawn points are usable only on friendly turf, mobile spawn points are associated with a vehicle and when the vehicle owner and holder is same (i.e. the vehicle is not stolen) the mobile spawn point is usable. Vehicles can't exist without being associated with bases; the owner of the vehicle is determined by the origin base.

The mechanic in some vague future plans about players arriving with a helo to an enemy controlled map is honestly in complete dark at this point. It's possible it'll never happen, too. Bots being dropped with the helo could still happen, as we can fake so many things when it's just bots who are in the helo. There's a chance the game might support changing the soldier a player controls by overtaking the soldier from a bot through the script commands, which could make it possible then for such a reinforcement mechanic + players. Sad to say that does feel like it's quite far away, see you in December eh? :)

If let's say respawning the players arriving as reinforcements with a helo would be possible, how would that work? Would the officer have unlimited calls and he would be able to call reinforcements at any given time, so that making the call to get even just one player back to the game would be ok to make, or is the idea that the officer should try to juggle with calls so that the max count of reinforcements are brought on one ride? If the latter, it could make some players remain dead for longer periods, not fun?

I'm kinda trying to look at the problem if there would be an easier way to handle a similar mechanic. What is the purpose of having to need to make the call to get players back to game? Is it that it makes the officer a VIP so that he should be protected? Wouldn't medikit + ability to revive others work for the same purpose? What happens if the VIP dies?

Or is this mechanic somehow related to a system where it's desirable that the whole team (or most) should spawn together roughly at the same place and same time, so that players don't get scattered around, which they do if they spawn on will and then don't wait for others to die->spawn too?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:14 pm 

pasik wrote:
newabortion wrote:

Hmm, that certainly complicates things up to point that it's hard to get even started with an early hack of the mode.

The biggest gap for that is that the only way for a player to gain control of a soldier is by spawning, and spawning happens through spawn points, mobile or static. Static spawn points are usable only on friendly turf, mobile spawn points are associated with a vehicle and when the vehicle owner and holder is same (i.e. the vehicle is not stolen) the mobile spawn point is usable. Vehicles can't exist without being associated with bases; the owner of the vehicle is determined by the origin base.

The mechanic in some vague future plans about players arriving with a helo to an enemy controlled map is honestly in complete dark at this point. It's possible it'll never happen, too. Bots being dropped with the helo could still happen, as we can fake so many things when it's just bots who are in the helo. There's a chance the game might support changing the soldier a player controls by overtaking the soldier from a bot through the script commands, which could make it possible then for such a reinforcement mechanic + players. Sad to say that does feel like it's quite far away, see you in December eh? :)

If let's say respawning the players arriving as reinforcements with a helo would be possible, how would that work? Would the officer have unlimited calls and he would be able to call reinforcements at any given time, so that making the call to get even just one player back to the game would be ok to make, or is the idea that the officer should try to juggle with calls so that the max count of reinforcements are brought on one ride? If the latter, it could make some players remain dead for longer periods, not fun?

I'm kinda trying to look at the problem if there would be an easier way to handle a similar mechanic. What is the purpose of having to need to make the call to get players back to game? Is it that it makes the officer a VIP so that he should be protected? Wouldn't medikit + ability to revive others work for the same purpose? What happens if the VIP dies?

Or is this mechanic somehow related to a system where it's desirable that the whole team (or most) should spawn together roughly at the same place and same time, so that players don't get scattered around, which they do if they spawn on will and then don't wait for others to die->spawn too?

To get the ball rolling on the game mode there could be a very small base that cant be captured by the AI, that way the MMOs can be implimented and with time other features could be added such as when the helicopters come out.

If players couldn't be re-spawned by Helicopter re-enforcement then at the base there could be a Helicopter battle taxi (I know your working on the battle taxi and you already said thats pretty much all the heicopter would be, AI controlled not human) As far as how ofter an Officer could be able to call re-enforcements I figured a four minute count down (To start somewhere, balance the time as needed...) that way dead players wouldnt have to wait too long, and to negligent any wait time or when in a urgent firefight players could be revived by the medic.

The officer is a meta WIP mode, if he dies you can't call in re-enforcements but the medic could always revive him, if there is no medic alive and the officer is dead then I'd imagin it would be game over?....(maby...?)

The Helo respawns servers several purposes, the first is that it would get players right back into the fight without running 3 miles to catch up with the rest of the squad. The second is that it would group spawn to re-enforce in waves. The third is that it helps the VIP officer meta game and not to mention it would look amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:21 pm 
Site Admin

A friendly base that can't be captured by the AI would be a good start. Practically same thing is already doable by setting the enemy AI commander to not attack, starting the battle with one base and designating that base for goodies in the map.

The upcoming battle taxi feature is mostly meant for on-ground and water vehicles, but if the helicopter implementation ends up looking promising, why not for helo's as well. So far in the plans, helicopters have been a completely fake, off map resource that appear out of thin air and do their thing and leave and disappear, therefore mostly suitable for bot spawning or for almost cutscene type trickery, e.g. to be replaceable with paratroopers if must.

How crucial part of the game mode would the reinforcement mechanism be anyway actually? I had a feeling the game mode description was implying that dying as such would be something much more rare than in vanilla, because of less capable enemy (the zombie reference) although much bigger count. Add medikits and reviving to this and the automatic reinforcement carry might not be needed all that much given dying-respawning wouldn't be something that keeps on happening constantly like in vanilla.

I suppose it could be done so that no one can respawn until all players are dead; the script would handle enabling/disabling respawning in the game based on this, it would be fairly easy to add but currently not supported. If everyone dies, i.e. the mission was a complete disaster, all would spawn back in the base and start another mission there. It might be totally different mission then, so you wouldn't necessarily even return to where you just got whacked.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:50 pm 

pasik wrote:
Newabortion, I hate you.

:(

The re-enforcement part of the game I supose isn't a must have right off the bat, and dieing is supost to be semi- rare but when you do it would suck to have to run across the whole map by yourself to catch up with your squad, it takes away the "team" in teamwork.

I think to start, before Helo re-inforcements are implimented how about "Players" bodies just stay when they die and a medic has all the time in the world to revive them?....that still sounds lame...imagin being the dead guy on the ground and your trying to coach the medic into finding your body and he can't find it because its in a pile of about 50 other enemy bodies.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:14 pm 
Site Admin

newabortion wrote:
The re-enforcement part of the game I supose isn't a must have right off the bat, and dieing is supost to be semi- rare but when you do it would suck to have to run across the whole map by yourself to catch up with your squad, it takes away the "team" in teamwork.

I think to start, before Helo re-inforcements are implimented how about "Players" bodies just stay when they die and a medic has all the time in the world to revive them?....that still sounds lame...imagin being the dead guy on the ground and your trying to coach the medic into finding your body and he can't find it because its in a pile of about 50 other enemy bodies.

I agree, for this mode it wouldn't make sense to make others spawn completely other side of the map, hence I suggested the respawn lock and a workaround to keep everyone together by allowing reviving over extended periods.

Ok, if extended reviving isn't good enough, how about if you die during an objective, you'll just stay dead until everyone else dies too (the same respawn lock method) and therefore everyone respawns back at the base at the same time (stay-together achieved). A lot of round-based team match games carry out this way; if you die during the round, you'll wait until the round is over, then everyone respawns for the next round. It's shitty for that player who dies at 10s marker and the round takes 15 minutes, but maybe there's a middle way there.

I could actually think of a hacky way to bring a mobile spawn point near the location of the players, let's say the officer would have this ability. The officer would make the call, i.e. actually write "/omg_respawn_here" in the chat, the script would pick that up, and forcibly reset the location of a mobile spawn vehicle (originally located at the home base) to somewhere near the officer. The mobile spawn vehicle would appear there and if there would be no enemies nearby, the fallen players could spawn there. What would this mobile spawn point "vehicle" actually represent, who knows :) A door in the middle of nowhere would be my favorite :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:27 pm 

Sounds like a start :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:27 am 

sounds like a good plan :D :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:05 am 

pasik wrote:
What would this mobile spawn point "vehicle" actually represent, who knows :) A door in the middle of nowhere would be my favorite :lol:

Couldn't this be accomplished by simply copying the spawn truck, making it immobile and then changing the model with a door?

Actually. I think I'm gonna suggest a Image.