It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:45 pm

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 41 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 28

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:02 pm 

I have alot of idea's, and as /viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24 said,
firefek wrote:
You must have noticed a lot of comments said that the pre-alpha had a very battlefield-esque feel. I Agree, and that should be capitalized upon, but your game is NOT Battlefield, and I really believe that you know it, so you don't have to give in to all the requests for planes, tanks and the like, its a game about running with a rifle anyway

So crosing out the vehicles; let's spice up the game in Rendered's Way! Hop along the path, cause you're in for a brainSPLOSION of ideas!

PART ONE:: Useful Base Captures

So, we all know the Hospital, Warehouse, Airport, Farm and all that? What do we capture them for? Nothing! Let's add some spunk to the game, and put them to good use!

HOSPITAL: Creates a Mobile Medic unit that follows anyone, lower rank or not, and fixes up wounds* after battle.

TOWN/SUBURBS: Adds units to the maximum number that can fill up bases.

WAREHOUSE: Allows the supply of more ammo*, refills to grenade crates*, and supplies materials to build trenches*.

FARMS: Grows food for the feeding of soldiers*.

TRENCHES: Can be used for cover, or build/reroute trenches.

AIRPORT: Allows for the support of AirStrikes*.

* = Other suggestions.

WOUNDED IN BATTLE:: When you're shot, you take a wound. When jumping over a large object (Chain-Link fence) there is a 10% Chance for getting a broken leg. These can be healed up by a Medic (See above) directly at the hospital, or in the field.

EMPTY AMMO/GRENADE CRATES:: And infinate spring of ammo and grenades from crates? Uh.... no. How about grenade crates can RUN OUT of grenades? Each crate contains enough grenades to refill four complete stocks of grenades (24 Grenades)

And while we're at it, let's add ammo clips and Ammo crates? Each clip has 30 bullets in the standard Rifle, and you carry 6 Clips. Ammo crates contain 48 Clips, for ammo is used most often.

But what happens when the stocks run dry? Use the enemies, which is risky, OR you can capture the Warehouse and more will come after stocks run completely dry, or after a major battle in the area! You could also just try going to the Warehouse itself and collect full supplies of Ammo AND Grenades.

Oh, did I mention the Grenades and Ammon boxes can explode? Good idea for trapping your enemies! >:]

BUILD-YOUR-OWN TRENCH:: The warehouse, mention as above, can be used for refilling ammo on the offensive. Let's talk DEFENSIVE, let's talk.... yep, trenches.

The warehouse turns lower ranked soldiers into ditch-digging helpers! How useful, for the lower ranks would just die in combat almost instantaniously. By directing with ORANGE FLAGS, you tell what direction you want the trench to be dug. Two flags placed one-after-the other will tell the diggers that the trench must be dug from the first, to the second flag.

From Point A to point B. Ah, but it goes on. From B to C to D to E, you can make the warground your own territory!

Once dug, they will proceed to grab sandbags and start lining the trench, for grenades can cause collapses to the foundation, making the trench fill back in! And you have just claimed a peice of land!

HUNGER:: Hunger can be a pain. Farmers fix that pan, by growing crops. Every day you must eat, and an overpopulated base MAY mean some going hungry. By having the two farms in capture, you will always have a steady supply of food, overpopulated or not. But loose control of both farms spells D.I.S.A.S.T.E.R. Your soldiers will start going hungry and loose accuracy every day without food, until you start having a shortage of soldiers! Once a base is killed off, the other team gains the base. An effective, and painful way of gaining territory.

AIRSTRIKES:: When at the airport, you can choose the location for an airstrike, if rank 6500 or above, every few days. The enemy can also send in Airstrikes, so be careful!

::CONCLUSION::

Well, there is an hour of my time-could-be-spent playing Running with Rifles
Transport vehicles sound nice, but in a game about running, no. And you carry rifles... not shotguns or RPGs. There are other ways to improve a game; NON-Battlefield style. I hope you enjoy these ideas, for I spent a while thinking in concept. Thanks for reading, and I'm out.

Proud to be a RwR forum moderator!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:37 pm 

To be honest, I don't like many of these ideas. They complicate the game, and add unneeded worries.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:43 pm 

Causeless wrote:
To be honest, I don't like many of these ideas. They complicate the game, and add unneeded worries.

I'm afraid I have to agree with Causeless.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:46 pm 

ChloChlo wrote:
Causeless wrote:

I'm afraid I have to agree with Causeless.

I appreciate your opinion. :P

EDIT: Any suggestions for improvments to these ideas to lessen the stress?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:57 pm 

Yeah, I'd go with Causeless on this one. We should suggest on how to improve already existing things, and let pasik add most of the new concepts. You've got to remember, we're the players, and, while the imagination is a wonderful tool, it's not our game. It's his. We're just the ones enjoying the fruits of his labor.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:59 pm 

I don't like the idea of hunger or anything like that, though I do like the idea of each territory providing a bonus - though without meaning that more limits or needs have to be added to the game.

All the territories don't need to provide a bonus, but here's some ideas for ones that will;

Hospital: Units who die can choose to be spawned at the nearest spawn point like usual, or to be spawned directly at the hospital. If respawn timers are ever added, this could make people respawn faster.
Warehouse: Units spawn with an extra grenade.
Airport: Units can choose to be spawned at the nearest spawn point like usual, or to be spawned directly at the airport (because they would be bringing in new soldiers through there). If respawn timers are ever added, this could make people respawn faster.

See, I made sure that owning a control point, while giving you an advantage, doesn't make it massively unfair on the enemy; it is still possible for them to win, albeit slightly harder as they have advantages. These control points would be valuable, but not hugely game changing so that ownign them all doesn't make you the inevitable victor.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:07 pm 

Jacos wrote:
I don't like the idea of hunger or anything like that, though I do like the idea of each territory providing a bonus - though without meaning that more limits or needs have to be added to the game.

All the territories don't need to provide a bonus, but here's some ideas for ones that will;

Hospital: Units who die can choose to be spawned at the nearest spawn point like usual, or to be spawned directly at the hospital. If respawn timers are ever added, this could make people respawn faster.
Warehouse: Units spawn with an extra grenade.
Airport: Units can choose to be spawned at the nearest spawn point like usual, or to be spawned directly at the airport (because they would be bringing in new soldiers through there). If respawn timers are ever added, this could make people respawn faster.

See, I made sure that owning a control point, while giving you an advantage, doesn't make it massively unfair on the enemy; it is still possible for them to win, albeit slightly harder as they have advantages. These control points would be valuable, but not hugely game changing so that ownign them all doesn't make you the inevitable victor.

That seems more based with multiplayer benefits. Mine is more towards singleplayer, though both work vise-versa in both versions.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:33 pm 

I was holding off on replying to this because it was one of the longer posts.

Useful base captures: while it does kinda make sense to have a benefit of some sortfor those capture points, I think if anything the bonus should be much more generic. For example, a point in the center of the map has a radio tower or something, allowing higher level players to call in reinforcements or supplies. Or a special ammo crate or vehicle spawns there. Or it's just a nicely defensible position. The reason behind this is because I imagine there are going to be more maps in the future, and not all of them are going to have a farm and a town and a hospital, for example.

The main purpose for capturing a territory is, of course, to keep them out of enemy hands =) isn't that enough of a reason to want to capture them?

WIA: I agree that there should be more to the wounding system than "you take 80 damage from a bullet." Perhaps a perfectly healthy person will jump that chain link fence with no problems, but a person who has been injured, or a person who has battle fatigue of some sort might not land that sort of jump so easily, causing them to move slower even if temporarily. As the kind of person that tries to play medic type classes in games (ARMA2 :P ) I could go into more detail about the wounding system, but then again a detailed system might not even be a good idea to put in the game.

Ammo crates: Depleting ammo crates could be interesting. Perhaps they restock after a while or need to be resupplied in some other way? Hold an objective for long enough and a few more magazines and grenades are added to the crate. This was a crate doesn't have a limited amount of space. The amount of supply could be shown by the number of crates or by how full the crate looks.

Construction: Placing flags to designate a trench seems simple enough to me. Foxholes could be even quicker defenses, as a good trench would take a while to build. it would be nice if large explosions deformed the terrain or otherwise made craters.

Hunger: I think that instead of hunger there could be morale of some sort. If you get shot a lot your morale drops and you are less accurate or move slower. This could probably be made into another suggestion, but... yeah. If food was added it could be one of the resources that affect the entire army's morale... but even then, I dunno. It would be interesting to cut off a supply line to the enemy base to lower morale before an attack.

Support: I could have sworn I already mentioned this, but I think that all of the support assets should be tangible on the map, and that helicopters, planes, and anything that doesn't sit on the ground (I.E. anything that screws the top down view and only being able to aim at the ground) should be left out of the game.
OzyTheSage wrote:
Personally I think that artillery would be pretty cool for support. Preferably something that you either build or capture in the map. So, say your base is being hit with artillery. You can go sneak into enemy lines and take the enemy artillery/mortar batteries out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:29 pm 

There is another thread in here labeled "Classes," and the idea came up that certain kits or weapons could allow different classes, kind of.

How about a merger of these two?

Medic kits are found at the hospital and the academy,

Stealth kits are found in the farms

Engineering kits are found in the trenches

Town and Airport would maybe have vehicles or something, or maybe just leave 'em empty.

The dual sites put the different structures on polar ends of the map, makes it easier to split them up for the teams.

As far as wounds go... We're currently dealing with 2 or 3 shots kill a person, a wound might be odd to deal with, but when a person goes down, give x time for a medic to help them out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:47 pm 

Waldo wrote:
There is another thread in here labeled "Classes," and the idea came up that certain kits or weapons could allow different classes, kind of.

How about a merger of these two?

Medic kits are found at the hospital and the academy,

Stealth kits are found in the farms

Engineering kits are found in the trenches

Town and Airport would maybe have vehicles or something, or maybe just leave 'em empty.

The dual sites put the different structures on polar ends of the map, makes it easier to split them up for the teams.

As far as wounds go... We're currently dealing with 2 or 3 shots kill a person, a wound might be odd to deal with, but when a person goes down, give x time for a medic to help them out.

But the problem with that is that it gives a huge advantage to who has the most territory. Having territory should shift the game to your favour, not mean some sort of insta-win. If capture points had something to do with classes, it would be better if they simply made them slightly more effective.