It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:33 pm

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 48 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 159

All times are UTC

Post subject: New ideas: a single life
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:59 pm 

Hello everyone! :)

I would first like to specify one thing. What you read is the automatic translation of google because my english is not good enough and I certainly would have written worse.

..my mom always told me to play less videogames and study more.. :(

Where the idea comes from: RWR is a great game but over time I realized that the adrenaline tends to go down (a little as with all things), and I found myself more and more to play stealth lonely into enemy territory. Reasoning on this issue i thought, among other things, this is certainly due to the fact that the risk of dying and having to start maybe the other side of the map makes it more challenging (though mass firefights are always cool!).
Hence the following reasoning: the speed and frequency of respawns are the basis of the game, that's for sure. At the same time, however, it ends up making the whole thing a little adrenaline.

Well what I thought was: we must die once and for all!
(but how?)

The inspiration has come from distant long sessions of COD4 (i'm no longer a young kid and lately besides RWR I do not play much :) ). About that game i've always loved the adrenaline of having only one life, and the moment you died and cheered for those of your team still in game (that you followed with their camera).

Premises over, I swear.

Now, it is obvious that RWR may not have matches with single life. BUT. What I thought is that it should have moments (or phases of the game) in which you have only a single life.

I do a couple of examples that came to my mind but we can find lots of ideas. I speak of course about the Invasion mode.

It could be the beginning of some (1 this way/1 classic way?) games do not start from the point randomly chosen, attacks the target set by the commander etc... until the end.
But it could be that the whole map is controlled by the enemy and, for example, at 3-4 sides of the map players in small groups are parachuted (no bots allies) on the red flares. It's night when game begins, silent weapons. Timer starts, 5 minutes. Now the 3-4 "special" teams, divided equally, have this time to win over at least one area. 1 life each one, no respawn. No time to join together, all groups in a little army. If you die you can just follow your teammates still ingame (and cheer for them! :D ).
Bots enemies in defense would certainly be parameterized with the number of players and probably this mod should starts only with at least 5 (?) players. If only few people are in game everyone parachutes as same team at same flare.
Well in short, if you do it everyone starts from the conquered district. The ones that died during the assault return to play. And classic game starts. Then also allied bots appear, enemies increase in number in the other areas and the normal game begins (if it is well played you could even take more areas at the same time but then you have to defend them).
Extra exp for brave soldiers!
If you all die or the time is up, the game is lost and (for example) -10exp to the player's level (the higher your rank is the more you are responsible!) and the same map resets, starting classic way.

Another idea might be that everyone starts from a random point, as usual. But this time you have 1 (?) minute to build up defenses. Again one single life, no ally bots (again this mode could not start if there are fewer than 5 players). When the countdown ends, one (or more) waves of enemies come and try to conquer the camp. If you resist, normal game starts, the dead ones come back into play and so on. Bonus exp for the survivors! If you lose, everybody loses extra exp (by rank) and again, same map, classic match starts.

The worst aspect of having one single life is waiting for the end of the game when you are dead, but both intros wouldn't last more than 5 minutes.

So you could have more ideas, maybe at the end of the game or halftime. But always with the concept of game phases with a single life.

Well, i know the english is terrible but i hope you like the ideas ;)

Ciube

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:42 am 

I don't think the one life idea would flow too well with the community. I think it sounds really cool as well. But something that really caught my interest was the defense idea. Having to fortify a position, set up sandbags, designate marksmen and hold for a certain amount of time would be sweet :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:40 am 
Site Admin

The cool part is that this could also be made as a mod, too.

These days there are special mechanisms of keeping the match alive and running even if one faction would be baseless - something that wasn't possible until very late to the actual game development phase.

A script is able to control existence of parachute spawn points to allow players to spawn periodically when they don't have static spawn points provided by bases.

The part that would be seriously lacking would be following other players while dead, there's no support for such a thing.