It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:29 am

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 45 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 45

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:23 pm 

Hello there! Love RwR! Its looking like Cannon Fodder but in the XXI century!

However, I'd like to add a few suggestions to the forum:

1. It's way to easy to hit a target. Some kind of recoil should be implemented. This way, the chances of surviving would be much higer and the "wall of bullets" would decrease, allowing more tactics in the middle of a battle. Like Day of Defeat.

2. Better squad control. Split like in Cannon Fodder or other tactics.

3. Longer day/night cycles, just too short as implemented now.

4. I bet this is in, but vehicles, fun to transport your team to the action, hitting the chassis wile screaming "GOGOGO!" or (LOSLOSLOSLOS!). Helicopters! :shock:

5. Slower pace. Right now, it's too frenetic, just ala D Day massive fronts attacks.

Well, that's all, awesome game!

Regards.

Gabriel A. Zorrilla

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:16 pm 
Site Admin

GAZ082 wrote:
Hello there! Love RwR! Its looking like Cannon Fodder but in the XXI century!

However, I'd like to add a few suggestions to the forum:

1. It's way to easy to hit a target. Some kind of recoil should be implemented. This way, the chances of surviving would be much higer and the "wall of bullets" would decrease, allowing more tactics in the middle of a battle. Like Day of Defeat.

2. Better squad control. Split like in Cannon Fodder or other tactics.

3. Longer day/night cycles, just too short as implemented now.

4. I bet this is in, but vehicles, fun to transport your team to the action, hitting the chassis wile screaming "GOGOGO!" or (LOSLOSLOSLOS!). Helicopters! :shock:

5. Slower pace. Right now, it's too frenetic, just ala D Day massive fronts attacks.

Well, that's all, awesome game!

Regards.

Gabriel A. Zorrilla

I can agree with most of the points. Does 1) mean that there should be more penalty on the accuracy on the weapons when shooting by holding the button down? There is some penalty there, but it might not be enough yet. If it's the AI accuracy that's bugging you, you can make the AI less accurate when creating a new game.

2) won't most likely be implemented like in Cannon Fodder, as it doesn't follow the concept of you-control-only-this-guy-until-the-guy-gets-killed. To start experimenting with it, squad control will be made so that you can give a position with the mouse for the team to approach, it should allow you to do several tricks. The idea is discussed here to some extent.

3) is easily controllable, let's try a longer cycle on the next version.

4) is a huge feature to add, but I'm going that direction once I can get all the running-stuff done first.

5) is something I agree 100%. The game used to be less hectic, on the top of my head it was in the versions before 0.3. The stuff that changed somewhere there was that the faction would use more troops to attack, the soldier spawn rate was hugely increased, and on going fights would draw in a lot of soldiers from nearby blocks. What this did was that once the attack start zone would have enough soldiers to begin the attack and the first attack wave would charge, the faction would be able to sustain a constant stream of soldiers to the attack, so the outcome was that there was hardly any periods of peace.

The intention of these changes was a valid one, as there used to be a problem that the attack would never begin, as the faction was every now and then unable to allocate enough soldiers for the attack to start.

Also, the overall amount of soldiers affect the attack behavior; which soldier count setting are you playing on? I think especially map2 should be ideally played on less soldiers, as there aren't that many bases in that map (7 or 8?) comparing to map1 (14).

I will continue tweaking these parameters in the future, I'd want to go back to the state that there were times when you would just stay still with your team leader a while (assuming you're following someone and not leading) and you'd see how the main attack teams gather to the specific area and then the charge begins, it used to be pretty fun.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:30 pm 

I concur 100% with your original vision of the battle pace. This should be a tactical skirmish game not a army level battle as it's now with massive waves of men spawning everywhere. I think that besides Cannon Fodder, you've been influenced by the Close Combat series. You have a LOT of features to pick up from CC.

BTW, in the future you should make a Close Combat multiplayer game with the engine you are developing. I'd pay MUCH MORE than 5 euro! ;) As you can see, i'm one of the guys who support you for charge for a QUALITY product as RwR is, and it's not even 1.0!

Edit: Was taking out the trash when this idea hit me innmediately, morale! (my brain made a connection with my mention of Close Combat and taking out the trash, apparently).

I do not know how much you plan to slow down the pace, but if you manage to get a squad alive in a combat for, lets say, 5/6 minutes, seeing how our comrades fall in battle or get injured may be a factor to decrease morale and the cowards may even flee or surrender. Personal characteristics could play a factor, such as initial morale, personality, health, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:50 pm 

I'm a new buyer also and love the game. My only suggestion would be a little more colorful graphics. I admittedly have poor eyesight, but the colors seem washed out and a little hard to see what is going on. I love the art style though and the animations are extremely well done.

Thank you for this great game. I would have payed double or triple what you are charging (especially since you have a demo and people can try out what they are buying and see how great the game really is). I guess I will have to buy a couple of copies for friends to enjoy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:15 pm 
Site Admin

mik3k wrote:
I'm a new buyer also and love the game. My only suggestion would be a little more colorful graphics. I admittedly have poor eyesight, but the colors seem washed out and a little hard to see what is going on. I love the art style though and the animations are extremely well done.

Thank you for this great game. I would have payed double or triple what you are charging (especially since you have a demo and people can try out what they are buying and see how great the game really is). I guess I will have to buy a couple of copies for friends to enjoy.

Thanks! The world colors are a little washed out, I'm trying to keep a certain separation between the backgrounds and the soldiers on the foreground. I'm also trying to keep a certain hue to the world so that it would look more uniform, but it does come on the expense of contrast sadly. I guess the game can also look very different on different monitors, I might've not seen which extent it can get to.

Maybe I can add some controls for brightness/contrast/gamma in the future, I'll keep tweaking with it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:35 am 

pasik wrote:
Thanks! The world colors are a little washed out, I'm trying to keep a certain separation between the backgrounds and the soldiers on the foreground. I'm also trying to keep a certain hue to the world so that it would look more uniform, but it does come on the expense of contrast sadly. I guess the game can also look very different on different monitors, I might've not seen which extent it can get to.

Maybe I can add some controls for brightness/contrast/gamma in the future, I'll keep tweaking with it.

I hate even making any suggestions because you have done such a great job with the game and it should be your vision of how you want your game to be. On a side note, we have just about every game made in the past 4-5 years and my 14-year-old has been hooked on your game since I bought it. That speaks volumes about how fun the game is. On payday we get another copy for some coop. Keep up the great work!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:31 pm 

Okay then, after getting my 14-year-old a new big monitor for Christmas and taking his monitor - I adjusted the brightness and contrast and fired up Running with Rifles and I completely retract what I said earlier about the colors. The game looks great - not so washed out. It is now obvious, my old monitor was not displaying a very nice picture.

Thanks for your time, thanks for the recent update, and thank you for unblocking my key when I had a problem downloading the new version.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:56 pm 
Site Admin

That's great to hear, thanks! :)