It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:41 am

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 46 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 93

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:13 pm 

Would it be feasible to make load outs generally visible to give a visual idea of overall encumbrance to a player? I notice a lot of complaints about asking to have a secondary, sometimes even third primary weapon, but not really seeming to realize that as a soldier, it's already hard to carry that much stuff. Such as seeing a rocket launcher or riot shield slung over the back, a medkit or a couple grenades on the belt. Perhaps when the secondary tool is equipped, have the primary go over the shoulder or hang from the side. The backpack could stay, but only to denote an over encumbrance.

This would allow players to better coordinate squads with one another with complimenting load outs, while still retaining the sense of no handholding.

"Hey, there's five of us here with shields, let's form a phalanx to move up sandbags."
"Oh man, I'm down but nobody's helping me. I can see that nobody has a medkit. Oh well, not their fault."
"Vehicle on the loose on another front line, a couple of us have rockets, let's take it."

The problem would lie in the work and time required to animate these features, but it's a suggestion.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:34 pm 

There's no animation required - just a decent load of coding (which mainly involves copy and pasting a single line of code for all the sequences) and the soldier models for each situation. Medikits, riot shields, grenades, and pistols could be easy to do, but rocket launches are more tricky since each one has a different model. You could have a universal rocket launcher sling on your back to denote any rocket launcher, or have the actual launcher itself be visible on your back (at the cost of having to make THREE different soldier models for each rocket laucher, for each faction).

If the devs could find the time, the medikit and the shield could be a nice addition. Everything else isn't as critical or important as those two (rocket launchers are usually situational, as are pistols, and it's pretty much assumed that everyone has grenades).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:10 pm 

If I knew jack about modeling (or any other aspect of computer game-making,) I'd do the models myself :p. Of course, a universal rocket sling works just as well. It's about the knowledge of it being there and working effectively, not so much the way it looks. That's just a bonus. :mrgreen:

You have a point with rockets being situational, but I've found myself in many, many situations of being with a platoon to take out a bus or tank and nobody having anything to damage it in the first place. Pretty much finding yourself screwed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:56 am 

You would basically need to model:

-Soldier with AT on backpack, x3 (1 for each faction)
-Soldier with AT on backpack and carrying body armour, x3
-Soldier with Riotshield on backpack, x3
-Soldier with Riotshield on backpack and carrying body armour, x3
-Soldier with medkit, x3
-Soldier with medkit carrying body armour, x3

That's 18 models.

Coding would be fairly easy. Making the models would be mildly time consuming (maybe 3-4 days work.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:18 pm 

I'm certainly not one to insist on such a suggestion based on ascetic, but as mentioned above, it would contribute a critical level of unspoken communication, which I think RWR excels at facilitating.

Being able to know who to crawl toward when injured, or who to protect when a vehicle is approaching could make a meaningful difference in combat. I've experience plenty of situations when downed in an open area, where I had to make a choice as to which group of allies to retreat towards, and this element could have made a contribution to that decision.

Admittedly, this may generate some animosity at those players who appear to have med-kits or rockets, and chose not to use them.