It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 9:39 am

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 45 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 124

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:39 am 

When quest about cargo truck starts, players are informed that Cargo truck was located in certian region of the map. This certian region is very poor way to inform player about it's location in my opinon and should be changed into better way. Why? Ok, so let's see...

First of all it is extremly unprecise way - what does "South Region" means? Should I just divide in my mind map into nine regions (north-west, north, north-east, west, center, east, south-west, south, south-east) and look by this in entire region? Or maybe I should look on map and see which of capturable areas are in south, and than check them out one by one? And when certian aera becomes "south" insted of "south-east" or "south-west"? While it is possible to make mentaly lines on map and determinate - it is very unreliable and as said before unprecise.

Moreover - it is very unclear how far should I need to look into that "South Region" in order to find cargo truck. While on Stalemate it is quite easy, because most of map is simply used, and almos none of it is wasted, than on Frostbite looking for cargo truck is nightmare. Most of land there is simply frozen wasteland with nothing but snow, rocks and trees. When I get information that enemy cargo truck is in "South Region" I simply do not know what to do with it, apart that all bottom half of map should be searched by me. While I agree that finding cargo truch is part of challange, and by all means I am NOT against it, I also must say that searching in too big space (again, Frostbite is biggest offender due to it's unused space) it is no longer a challange - it is just troublesome. Nothing more.

So what I do suggest in order to make it better? I have few ideas. I will present them in random order.

1. Insted of giving general info ("South Region") give us precise info "South Trench Region", and make sure that AI will not take that truck into frozen wasteland, but insted will stay in certian radius of that aera. This is in my opinion worst suggestion, but still much better than what is right now.

2. When cargo truck's possition is annoucend, in addition to it's location, let us see it on the map for like 5 seconds. 5 seconds each time it is being annouced. Or even 3 seconds. In my opinion this suggestion would be very good if, and only if cargo trucks would be in constant move. But they stay usually in one place, so it is propably second worst suggestion.

3. Make it absolutly, crystal clear where is so called "South Region" and where are other regions, by marking it on map in visible way. This would at least elliminate possibility of wrong interpretation of comming information. Unfortunatly apart from that it could solve nothing else - empty and unused space betwen bases would still need to be searched carefully, which is not a problem on some maps, and very big problem on others.

4. Use coorinates insted of unprecised general information - since 0.93 map is divided into small and big squares. Big ones do have coordinates. So insted of "South Region" we will end up with "C7" or "E6". I would definietly liked that as it would turned something that looks purely ascetic to be actually important part of gameplay. Problem is - it would be no longer challange to find cargo truck, unles squares would be made bigger.

5. This one is my favourite. Make it possible for players to aquire very precise information about locations of enemy's cargo trucks (how precise? Maybe even to the point of making it visible on map) by completing smaller tasks. So generaly there would be normal annoucment about cargo truck in "South Region". If somebody feels he can find it by just having this information than fine - he may do it. But let's say it is not so easy to target it. Than maybe healing up wounded enemies could count as interrogation (surley in future this feature would be develop to not be soo easy as just healing up) and would provide players with some info about cargo truck - like "It is in one of C regions". You can than pick this knoledge with info that it is in "South" and try gues now. And if you interrorigate another one, than ifno will become even more precise - it will bcome now "C2" insted of just "C in the South". And this system could be used to find anything of importance - cargo trucks, comm trucks, radio towers, alien crash sites, gigant ant hills, unicorns' forests, dwarfs' mines, elfs' hidden treasures... Everything ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:42 am 

Well, now that we have a grid system on the maps, you can just use that. The cargo truck was last spotted at B-4.

ComJak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:23 am 
Site Admin

Exactly. The reason the info is vague is that you have to search it for yourself :D

Otherwise you'd know where to go, that wouldn't include searching at all. Where's the fun in that?

Reminds me of GTA how I would've wanted to find something all by myself, or at least find my own way to a target, but rather the GPS tells me which turns I should take..

1,2,4) The problem here is that in these the information is very precise. It could just show a marker in the map and you'd know exactly where the cargo truck is, which takes the edge off. The AI will not drive the truck anywhere from its placed location unless it needs to flee because of battle nearby.

Usually the truck is in the base as the bases are better protected than other places. We've added a few exceptions to this so that it would appear a bit less patterned than what it actually is.

The base areas aren't that big that you couldn't go check what's going on in each in the given region. The vehicle with its driver in place has its engine also running, so you'd hear the sound of an idle engine to some distance. The active region around player is 5x5 of those map blocks, if you're that close to the vehicle, you should hear it.

We could add a marker to visualize the region, like in 3, if you have trouble splitting the map into 9 sectors in mind, that could work. A big chunky marker pen circle that shows the general area.

On the other hand, have you considered that you're being fed false intel? Or, that the latest info is old by the time you get to the region? It's very well possible the truck isn't there where it was thought to be, that's part of the game.

The bigger problem I'd see is that comms truck and radio tower objectives don't provide any pointers or handholding, even the region of being spotted. You basically have to go through all of their bases, which can be rather tedious in a map like Stalemate, comparing to checking a few bases in a vague region. There were ideas to this that you'd hear certain static noise radio sounds periodically, the more frequently the closer you'd be to their radio device.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:47 am 

"cargo truck has been spotted at E4" ... This would be similar to "come get your spotting reward at E4". I don't think this needs any more information than how it is right now. For myself I wouldn't even matter if there wouldn't be any info at all like it was the case a while back.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:59 am 
Site Admin

JackMayol wrote:
For myself I wouldn't even matter if there wouldn't be any info at all like it was the case a while back.

There's some truth to that perspective too. The game tries to promote free exploring behind enemy lines with the comms truck / radio tower / cargo truck objectives, but to make such exploration more worthwhile, there should be more stuff to find. That's why it currently needs some form of assistance; bases are plenty but objective targets are not.

If you'd want to go lurking around enemy bases, it should rather rarely be about capturing the base by assaulting it alone or preparing capture by killing as many as you can + requesting reinforcements to finish the capture, but instead about destroying some static targets which would either help with something or just give you rewards, or steal something to require surviving.

If you take Stalemate as an example, we've got both comms and cargo there, 2 enemies, so there's 4 of these objectives available, which means 4/14 enemy bases have something extra to do when you've got one base. The ratio should be much higher, even if it would mean simpler objectives, like destroy an armory or water supply or whatever. We do have the prison break objective coming, Stalemate will feature that too I believe.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:43 am 

Ok... So I did not know that info given about cargo truck may be false on purpose... :)
Also I had my sound set to be rather low, so I could not hear engine running... ;) So many things done wrong by me than... But still, please consider ability to interrogate wounded enemies for some kind of info or reward - afther all it is not best option to use them as knifing exp. farm ;)

And Pasik, You are right - exploring open world would be much, much better if there would be anything interesting to find in those unused places ;) Hope to see them in... Well, in some future versions of game.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:49 am 
Site Admin

Modest wrote:
But still, please consider ability to interrogate wounded enemies for some kind of info or reward - afther all it is not best option to use them as knifing exp. farm ;)

It's a kind of far fetch functionally.. the surrendering is nothing but an animation the leftover soldiers in a "dead" faction play. Getting information from them at that point would be a bit boring as you've already completed the map.

The other choice to get rid of leftover soldiers would be to make them commit suicide at the event of being defeated to avoid the stab farm, but not sure that's much more better option.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:50 am 
Site Admin

Modest wrote:
Ok... So I did not know that info given about cargo truck may be false on purpose... :)

Ok ok, it's not, except in the case that the news is old :D But it could be false.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:23 am 

pasik wrote:
The other choice to get rid of leftover soldiers would be to make them commit suicide.

--> insta Indexed in Germany :)

My suggestion about the surrendering soldiers would be to give XP penalty when you kill them, as you shouldn't kill surrendering soldiers (no I don't repeat myself pasik, I write this for the other people in this forum ;)). In that sense suicide would fix it but ya, that's a bit harsh and the german police will knock at my door :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:40 pm 
Site Admin

Talk about hijacking a thread; yet another option for faction defeat mass-surrender/suicide could be that the leftovers would stay and fight even if the map is considered complete.

It's an option even if I personally don't like it, would be nasty to lose a base again after the map had been completed already.

One option could be also that a surrendered soldier can't be killed, it would remove the execution taking place at the end, but feels artificial.

It would be nice of course if the AI would put up a show together with the surrendered that someone would arrive to fetch them and arrange them into a row somewhere, and shooters would be summoned to stand behind them to execute them. Brutal but true in some cases. Haha, maybe only some factions would do this, others wouldn't, but hey, this starts to get out of hands for such a detail feature.

Maybe the lite version of the same would be that in some faction you get rewarded for leaving no survivors, and another faction gives you penalty for execution.