It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:49 pm

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 45 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 133

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:50 am 
Site Admin

The Soldier wrote:
Well, since you can't call any strikes or calls in with radio when you're down (or even when prone), I don't think you could radio for a medic squad (then again, you can spot enemy vehicles while you're wounded, though not sure if that's a bug).

Well you know, I'm in control of what is possible and what is not, so it could be made possible to use the radio when wounded :D

Also there has been plans for quite a time now for being able to define what sort of squad config a particular reinforcement drop would have. As we by now have the squad config files, it wouldn't be too much of work to make a call request definition intake a squad config file reference, make the call loader parse it, and make the spawning assign items based on the requirements in the squad config. This way a few more reinforcement calls could be added.

Another alternative could be that the reinforcement call picks the squad config from the caller, making it an automatic squad refill. You can already choose your own squad config with the keys.. was it page up/down?

The Soldier wrote:
Although being able to tell the AI what to do would be very nice, and could be expanded with modding to things like telling the AI you need an MG or AT-filled squad.
You can, try those keys and take a look into vanilla\factions.

The Soldier wrote:
Standing up and running at low speed, but losing all your items? Interesting. But I think you're want for life in this game is going a bit far - you're pretty much meant to die in this game. ;) And besides, as you said that you usually get a vest to help preserve your rare items / weapons. And dropping all those would be rather hypocritical. :P

You're meant to die in the game, but only if you choose to not play the hero role. The vest enables you the choice to play the hero effectively, with added "health" and thus less risky way of using the OP rare weapons - the vest is meant to flip the thing upside down. If you lose all your health and end up wounded AND you don't have medics, you know you pushed your role too far. But, it seems fine to get killed / suicide in such situation, you pretty much blew it (you could have changed your vest earlier, you could have made sure you've got medics / crawl to a better place for the medic to heal you, in another version you could've called more medics via radio). I guess this is the 10% of cases, so yea, agreed, no need for a wounded-flee mechanism.

The Soldier wrote:
Well, anyways, guess I could accept a penalty for suiciding. Although if you died due to the timer running out, then you wouldn't get a penalty, correct?
I suppose so, staying alive wounded for the max time would seem that you tried to get to the medics, you made an effort :P It's same as in GTA5 when you use a taxi, you pay a normal price if you watch the taxi take you to the location, but you can also skip it which costs you more. Anyway, I still stand by it that suicide practically shouldn't be needed, so if you need it, you're doing something wrong, and a bigger penalty is justified.

I wish there was that sort of thing going on when wounded that "fuck, now I'm wounded, I have to get there before the time runs out, come on, fight man, shiit this is bad", rather than "can anyone kill me please? i can't respawn at the other base unless I'm dead... anyone?". The main dilemma here is that dying while wounded is about the worst thing that can happen - you already spent time on the ground crawling around / waiting to get back to action. Now let's say the bleeding out timer would be removed, well, now you don't have that fighting against time that makes wounding a "fun" minigame in a case where there's a chance to be revived.

In a way, I'm doing it kind of wrong too. When I've got a rare weapon, I tend to carry several vests to avoid getting wounded in the first place.

So yah, I can see we are not over with wounded mechanic yet. And suicide would only take it towards wrong direction.

Coming from another perspective, what if there was some kind of more important connection to let's say killstreak? Killstreak resets of course when you respawn, so killstreak is at least one attribute you've managed to grow while being that vested hero soldier. There could be perhaps some sort of reward for big killstreaks or having long survival times or something, which might be a good enough incentive to make you crawl half a mile if you had to rather than suicide, given bleeding out would be removed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:07 am 
Site Admin

LOGMA wrote:
Or, maybe if an enemy medic sees that there are no enemies nearby they revive you and take your weapons away, putting you into a Surrendered type state as if they had captured you?

The Soldier wrote:
@Logma
Eh, I was thinking about if an enemy medic revived you, you would join their side (but only for that life). Being in a surrendered state would be just as useless, if not more useless, than being wounded.

Possibly, something of that sorts. Persuasion would go rather far though, would be pretty odd to play one life / from now on as the enemy in midst of a campaign :D Not to mention that happening multiple times in one map.

If the game had you play one invincible soldier like many story oriented games, there could be something there if the enemy could indeed capture you. The enemy could take you to their base and place you in a prison for example (hmm, we have actually a prison objective in plans, with a specific destroyable target somewhere on the enemy side, which when destroyed, spawns fellow soldiers over some specific time and rate). And while being taken to the prison, or being in the prison, you'd be presented chances to escape from time to time, or at least something along those lines.

Of course that would be plenty to do, but it also feels a bit awkward in a game like RWR. Imagine the feeling you'd be left with when you were initially in a heavy fight, got wounded, got captured, got taken to enemy territory and their base, into a prison (how long did that take? at least 5 minutes?), then you'd try escaping and blew it, and you're dead. Next you respawn in your base.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:48 pm 

pasik wrote:
Possibly, something of that sorts. Persuasion would go rather far though, would be pretty odd to play one life / from now on as the enemy in midst of a campaign :D Not to mention that happening multiple times in one map.

If the game had you play one invincible soldier like many story oriented games, there could be something there if the enemy could indeed capture you. The enemy could take you to their base and place you in a prison for example (hmm, we have actually a prison objective in plans, with a specific destroyable target somewhere on the enemy side, which when destroyed, spawns fellow soldiers over some specific time and rate). And while being taken to the prison, or being in the prison, you'd be presented chances to escape from time to time, or at least something along those lines.

Of course that would be plenty to do, but it also feels a bit awkward in a game like RWR. Imagine the feeling you'd be left with when you were initially in a heavy fight, got wounded, got captured, got taken to enemy territory and their base, into a prison (how long did that take? at least 5 minutes?), then you'd try escaping and blew it, and you're dead. Next you respawn in your base.

Yeah, that's sort of how i saw it and if not rescued in a certain amount of time your soldier would start breaking down mentally believing his teammates left him to die and what-not, giving him the choice of swapping sides, though.... this could be where Disguises could come in perfectly.. Say, you got captured, broke down, decided to become a Grey Spy (dressed in a Green Uniform) And you could still be allianced with Green, in order to trick the Greys into trusting you and what not but then again.. would be hard get working correctly?.. Maybe you could stealth kill an enemy and loot his uniform? (Would go in Vest slot so, no protection for you when disguised, gives added feeling that you're alone in enemy territory and if things go wrong you'll most likely die.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:12 pm 
Site Admin

LOGMA wrote:
Yeah, that's sort of how i saw it and if not rescued in a certain amount of time your soldier would start breaking down mentally believing his teammates left him to die and what-not, giving him the choice of swapping sides, though.... this could be where Disguises could come in perfectly.. Say, you got captured, broke down, decided to become a Grey Spy (dressed in a Green Uniform) And you could still be allianced with Green, in order to trick the Greys into trusting you and what not but then again.. would be hard get working correctly?.. Maybe you could stealth kill an enemy and loot his uniform? (Would go in Vest slot so, no protection for you when disguised, gives added feeling that you're alone in enemy territory and if things go wrong you'll most likely die.)

Yea, theoretically something like that isn't far off from getting implemented either. It is a fact that the vest slot will be able to control the soldier appearance, so at least the visual part is doable quite far. The AI of course doesn't see any of that stuff, so the item would also need to have some property that defines which faction you appear to belong in, but adding that isn't a big deal.

With such a property, let's say you, being Green, wear a Grey uniform as a vest item, and the other Grey soldiers then see you as just another Grey soldier. This would mean that a) Green soldiers see you as an enemy or b) somehow magically, Green soldiers know that you're still Green.

If A, can you kill Greens now that you seem to be Grey, and will Greens kill you?
If A, can you kill Greys now that you seem to be Grey?

What happens if you kill a Grey while being a Grey? Do you lose the disguise item and become Green again (easy but breaks immersion)? Or do you keep the disguise but become Green to only those nearby (starts to go into the nasty side of implementation, this would mean plenty of work with the AI mindset, having them remember which soldiers that appear to be Grey are in fact not and so on, the knowledge should spread when they fight against you and new Greys come to the area)?

Also, if A, then you're in trouble on your own land, which hmm might not be that bad actually, you can always take off the vest.
If B, then awkwardly no one has anything against you, and it would look awkward if the Grey soldiers see you travelling among Green, and you aren't fighting against Greens. Monitoring against this stuff could easily again get out of hand, and each step it becomes more complex, it risks ending up poorly tested.

So it's pretty easy to see this disguise thing gets out of hand rather easily. A simple system might have a chance of getting implemented.

What is the actual use case for having a disguise mechanic? Where do you need it? That's the key question though. Obviously it would help stealth in general, up to the point you start killing, or perhaps keeping the area unalerted while killing (stabs/silencer) would not blow your cover, which then might make things way too easy.

It does sound there would have to be some specific thing you can do as disguised
* rig a truck with C4 and get the disguise and drive it into heart of the enemy base, get to safety and detonate the C4? Maybe some specific vehicle could enhance the C4 blast, causing a huge blast killing everything in the area.. as a means to capture the base
* disguise and get to the enemy prison, release the prisoners -- lol, being still Grey there would have the Green prisoners kill you? :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:12 pm 

pasik wrote:
LOGMA wrote:

Yea, theoretically something like that isn't far off from getting implemented either. It is a fact that the vest slot will be able to control the soldier appearance, so at least the visual part is doable quite far. The AI of course doesn't see any of that stuff, so the item would also need to have some property that defines which faction you appear to belong in, but adding that isn't a big deal.

With such a property, let's say you, being Green, wear a Grey uniform as a vest item, and the other Grey soldiers then see you as just another Grey soldier. This would mean that a) Green soldiers see you as an enemy or b) somehow magically, Green soldiers know that you're still Green.

If A, can you kill Greens now that you seem to be Grey, and will Greens kill you?
If A, can you kill Greys now that you seem to be Grey?

What happens if you kill a Grey while being a Grey? Do you lose the disguise item and become Green again (easy but breaks immersion)? Or do you keep the disguise but become Green to only those nearby (starts to go into the nasty side of implementation, this would mean plenty of work with the AI mindset, having them remember which soldiers that appear to be Grey are in fact not and so on, the knowledge should spread when they fight against you and new Greys come to the area)?

Also, if A, then you're in trouble on your own land, which hmm might not be that bad actually, you can always take off the vest.
If B, then awkwardly no one has anything against you, and it would look awkward if the Grey soldiers see you travelling among Green, and you aren't fighting against Greens. Monitoring against this stuff could easily again get out of hand, and each step it becomes more complex, it risks ending up poorly tested.

So it's pretty easy to see this disguise thing gets out of hand rather easily. A simple system might have a chance of getting implemented.

What is the actual use case for having a disguise mechanic? Where do you need it? That's the key question though. Obviously it would help stealth in general, up to the point you start killing, or perhaps keeping the area unalerted while killing (stabs/silencer) would not blow your cover, which then might make things way too easy.

It does sound there would have to be some specific thing you can do as disguised
* rig a truck with C4 and get the disguise and drive it into heart of the enemy base, get to safety and detonate the C4? Maybe some specific vehicle could enhance the C4 blast, causing a huge blast killing everything in the area.. as a means to capture the base
* disguise and get to the enemy prison, release the prisoners -- lol, being still Grey there would have the Green prisoners kill you? :D

I would probaly attempt a Disguise mechanism similar to Prototype, it seems like a really interesting mechanism, well.. the disguise detection anyways.. http://prototype.wikia.com/wiki/Disguise

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:37 pm 
Site Admin

LOGMA wrote:
I would probaly attempt a Disguise mechanism similar to Prototype, it seems like a really interesting mechanism, well.. the disguise detection anyways.. http://prototype.wikia.com/wiki/Disguise

That's what I was saying with things starting to become unwantedly complicated. It's pretty safe to say RWR certainly won't have such features in 1.0.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:46 am 

pasik wrote:
LOGMA wrote:

That's what I was saying with things starting to become unwantedly complicated. It's pretty safe to say RWR certainly won't have such features in 1.0.

What about disguise system from enemy territory,
hold a button on dead enemy to get the enemy uniform and when
you kill a enemy youll lose the disguise IF enemy sees you killing others? No need to necessarily play around with ai code too much.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:32 am 

joneau wrote:
pasik wrote:
LOGMA wrote:

What about disguise system from enemy territory,
hold a button on dead enemy to get the enemy uniform and when
you kill a enemy youll lose the disguise IF enemy sees you killing others? No need to necessarily play around with ai code too much.

Yeah, just remembered a game that had a really good disguise system, "The Saboteur"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:45 am 

those good old times of old school gaming :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:53 am 
Site Admin

pasik wrote:
The Soldier wrote:
Well, since you can't call any strikes or calls in with radio when you're down (or even when prone), I don't think you could radio for a medic squad (then again, you can spot enemy vehicles while you're wounded, though not sure if that's a bug).

Well you know, I'm in control of what is possible and what is not, so it could be made possible to use the radio when wounded :D

I'm adding this one in 0.93, seemed to work nicely at least when being alone there on the spot. I had enough time to call one mortar strike and a 4-man reinforcement drop, out of which 3 joined my squad (I had 4k XP) and at least one had medikits and he managed to heal me in time.