It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:00 am

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 44 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 72

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:09 am 
Site Admin

LOGMA wrote:
Yeah, just remembered a game that had a really good disguise system, "The Saboteur"

I was actually thinking about making a more stealth oriented game when I had just started to work on RWR, and was watching some videos of Saboteur, wanted to have a setting much like that.

Eventually I decided against it as it would've involved creating elaborate civilian AI to get the environment live and to be able to hide in crowds, it would've needed vehicles which I had no intention to make and all sorts of other stuff, and I was after all targeting to make a game I could finish before 2012 :D Well, I always say we are working on RWR 3 right now, so I kinda of finished RWR 1 in time in the end.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:13 pm 

pasik wrote:
I'm adding this one in 0.93, seemed to work nicely at least when being alone there on the spot. I had enough time to call one mortar strike and a 4-man reinforcement drop, out of which 3 joined my squad (I had 4k XP) and at least one had medikits and he managed to heal me in time.

A workaround, but a nice one. :) It costs 150 RP, but I guess that's well worth the vest and the weapon that you're got on you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:33 pm 

pasik wrote:
LOGMA wrote:
Yeah, just remembered a game that had a really good disguise system, "The Saboteur"

I was actually thinking about making a more stealth oriented game when I had just started to work on RWR, and was watching some videos of Saboteur, wanted to have a setting much like that.

Eventually I decided against it as it would've involved creating elaborate civilian AI to get the environment live and to be able to hide in crowds, it would've needed vehicles which I had no intention to make and all sorts of other stuff, and I was after all targeting to make a game I could finish before 2012 :D Well, I always say we are working on RWR 3 right now, so I kinda of finished RWR 1 in time in the end.

Wouldnt be too hard to implement, while wearing disguise, turn friendly fire on for person with disguise, then when enemy spots player shooting their allies, lose disguise for person in disguise, turning off friendly fire.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:59 am 
Site Admin

LOGMA wrote:
...then when enemy spots player shooting their allies...

Here's the gap: the AI would have to track every fellow soldier in disguise it can see without occlusion, monitor them for shooting events, check if the shooting is directed towards any other fellow the AI sees, and if so, do something to make disguise item consumed.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:04 pm 

pasik wrote:
LOGMA wrote:
...then when enemy spots player shooting their allies...

Here's the gap: the AI would have to track every fellow soldier in disguise it can see without occlusion, monitor them for shooting events, check if the shooting is directed towards any other fellow the AI sees, and if so, do something to make disguise item consumed.

Ah, right... maybe possibly work on it long term? not so much as right now needed but like work on it over time and maybe release say.. 1.25 or so (just making up a number right now) its not necessarily needed immediately but, would be a nice thing to have

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:15 pm 

hmm. Being in disguise, stealth ing on daylight :D, maybe like you go too close enemy and then your cover is blown.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:59 am 

Really? This wasn't resolved? Are you kidding me?

This is a game breaking flaw. Nobody wants to crawl around aimlessly for a century without the option to respawn. Take a look at some good multiplayer shooters, excluding the ones with a timed respawn or no respawn. Even the ones without the possibility of being downed have a respawn option. No, your AI isn't good enough to seek out and kill or revive a downed player—evidently. What if you are behind enemy lines by yourself, or just playing single player? Is waiting for a mandatory half minute in a game about being in the action fun, or satisfactory? No. In fact, it was worth making an account and filling out your childish security question just to tell you what any decent game developer knows already—finish the basics first and then get ambitious, otherwise your game will be half-assed and broken and your player base will be mediocre.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:40 am 

monolith731 wrote:

This is a game breaking flaw. Nobody wants to crawl around aimlessly for a century without the option to respawn. Take a look at some good multiplayer shooters, excluding the ones with a timed respawn or no respawn. Even the ones without the possibility of being downed have a respawn option. No, your AI isn't good enough to seek out and kill or revive a downed player—evidently. What if you are behind enemy lines by yourself, or just playing single player? Is waiting for a mandatory half minute in a game about being in the action fun, or satisfactory? No. In fact, it was worth making an account and filling out your childish security question just to tell you what any decent game developer knows already—finish the basics first and then get ambitious, otherwise your game will be half-assed and broken and your player base will be mediocre.

It has. Suiciding while in a wounded state in for a long, long while now. In fact, they even added in a dedicated medic for the paratrooper call ins if you wanted the chance to live and there were no friendlies nearby. :) No need to break out the harsh language.

But christ, this is one absolutely glorious necro. I totally forgot I started this thread. And here I am making the next part of the game.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:24 am 

monolith731 wrote:
NIn fact, it was worth making an account and filling out your childish security question just to tell you what any decent game developer knows already—finish the basics first

you suicide when wounded by holding knife button for three seconds to slit your own throat and this mechanic has been in the game for 3+ years lol