It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 9:10 pm

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 45 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 21

All times are UTC

Post subject: Stealth stuff
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:52 am 

I'm just curious, what kind of focus is going to be on stealth?

I've played the pre-alpha a bit and it's some serious fun, and I can easily see where stealth approaches will fit into the game, I was just thinking that it's quite difficult, especially with the 'monotonic style' (Which is awesome btw) to tell how hidden you are and where your covered from. Maybe some kind of 'stealth view' which brings you into a sort of over-the-shoulder position would be helpful to perform stealth tactics. I don't think it would replace the top-down view at all, because it would be useless as a foot-soldier or squad-commander.

Just an idea I had, I'm not sure what level of detail the models are, so it might not be graphically feasible, or it might not fit into the gameplay style, but I think it'd be cool.

Also, you mention machine guns on the about page, are you planning on adding any other guns? i.e Sniper, shotgun, rocket-launcher. I mainly ask because I'm curious how the sniper would work from the top-down view.

Awesome work so far, love the open-style development thing (Similar to Ace of Spades, Minecraft, Overgrowth etc.)

Post subject: Re: Stealth stuff
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:03 pm 

One of the things that kills stealth in this game is the reaction time from the AI. You throw a grenade and immediately they are scrambling. You fire a bullet and you are immediately getting return fire. They can turn 180 on a dime and shoot you instantly. AI just need to have more human-like reaction times.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:55 pm 

Stealth won't be *really* put in in till there is a reason to. There is only one thing to do in the game, and that is capture points. Sure, you can hide and snipe people, but there isn't much of a reason to, other then scumming ranks.

And we all know how getting rank points goes.

This RP Site is pathetically Small. Help us Grow it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:29 pm 
Site Admin

The models made with a handful of voxels aren't really good for third person perspective, the camera would be too near and the guys would be way too blocky when watched with close distance.

The first thing that I'm going to try with the stealth approach is a suppressed weapon. The defence forces in a base should be made so that they scatter more and do some active guarding by walking around, possibly they would do this only during night, as to see farther themselves as they tend to have that limited eye sight during nights. This would make it easier to take out some of those vandering soldiers without making a sound or anyone else seeing. Naturally, they would react and become alarmed if you missed the shot or if you shot someone within someone else's field of view.

This brings us to possibilities like being required to move corpses to shadows, to avoid someone else spotting that guys are getting killed here. This is actually very close to medic stuff technically, so implementing one of these might kill two birds with one stone.

Also the possibility to visualize the enemy's FOV would very likely help with executing stealth ops, but it seems a little too easy that way, just a hunch. Putting it the other way around, an indicator could be used to tell how exposed you yourself are, somehow.

Having more gun types needs to have a reason behind them. I can see a shotgun being valuable in a trench, but as there's no buildings to go into, the main purpose of the shotgun is missed. Sniper might be a nice idea. I'm just making this up as I go, but it might work like that you would stay away from an attack point and when aiming, you could scroll around in the world in a wider range than normally, in order to shoot farther away, maybe you could only see around the crosshair too instead of complete screen. While you would be aiming, you would be totally exposed to a threat yourself, as you wouldn't be watching your surroundings. Rockets would fit if there would be vehicles.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:51 pm 

pasik wrote:
The models made with a handful of voxels aren't really good for third person perspective, the camera would be too near and the guys would be way too blocky when watched with close distance.

The first thing that I'm going to try with the stealth approach is a suppressed weapon. The defence forces in a base should be made so that they scatter more and do some active guarding by walking around, possibly they would do this only during night, as to see farther themselves as they tend to have that limited eye sight during nights. This would make it easier to take out some of those vandering soldiers without making a sound or anyone else seeing. Naturally, they would react and became alarmed if you missed the shot or if you shot someone within someone else's field of view.

This brings us to possibilities like being required to move corpses to shadows, to avoid someone else spotting that guys are getting killed here. This is actually very close to medic stuff technically, so implementing one of these might kill two birds with one stone.

Also the possibility to visualize the enemy's FOV would very likely help with executing stealth ops, but it seems a little too easy that way, just a hunch. Putting it the other way around, an indicator could be used to tell how exposed you yourself are, somehow.

Having more gun types needs to have a reason behind them. I can see a shotgun being valuable in a trench, but as there's no buildings to go into, the main purpose of the shotgun is missed. Sniper might be a nice idea. I'm just making this up as I go, but it might work like that you would stay away from an attack point and when aiming, you could scroll around in the world in a wider range than normally, in order to shoot farther away, maybe you could only see around the crosshair too instead of complete screen. While you would be aiming, you would be totally exposed to a threat yourself, as you wouldn't be watching your surroundings. Rockets would fit if there would be vehicles.

Marry me, please!

This will simply be awesome.

I can't wait.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:57 pm 

pasik wrote:

The first thing that I'm going to try with the stealth approach is a suppressed weapon. The defence forces in a base should be made so that they scatter more and do some active guarding by walking around, possibly they would do this only during night, as to see farther themselves as they tend to have that limited eye sight during nights. This would make it easier to take out some of those vandering soldiers without making a sound or anyone else seeing. Naturally, they would react and became alarmed if you missed the shot or if you shot someone within someone else's field of view.

That would be AWESOME.

"Solid snake mode, ACTIVATE" xD

Proud to be a RwR forum moderator!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:33 pm 

Stealth. That's just a fun word to say. Steaaaaalth.

My main question about stealth is how it will factor into multiplayer. Stabbing an AI is well and good, but doing the same to someone I know would just be golden. I guess the question I'm asking is, will players' fov be restricted to what's in front of their model? Would this only be at night? Or would it be all the time, making the positions of pointman and rearguard viable? Speaking of that, are you planning on implementing squads and positions into the game, rather than just mindless following? Man, there's just too many questions to ask at once, so I'll let you answer these and ask more later. :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:35 pm 

Rendered wrote:
pasik wrote:

That would be AWESOME.

"Solid snake mode, ACTIVATE" xD

You too, marry me.
I <3 MGS as well.

But seriously, I CAN'T WAITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:57 pm 
Site Admin

Blink wrote:

My main question about stealth is how it will factor into multiplayer. Stabbing an AI is well and good, but doing the same to someone I know would just be golden. I guess the question I'm asking is, will players' fov be restricted to what's in front of their model? Would this only be at night? Or would it be all the time, making the positions of pointman and rearguard viable? Speaking of that, are you planning on implementing squads and positions into the game, rather than just mindless following? Man, there's just too many questions to ask at once, so I'll let you answer these and ask more later. :shock:

Initially, multiplayer will be made for cooperative gaming only, although I'm not seeing any point in restricting it to that. The cooperative aspect is just so much easier to achieve in this kind of game where you can see everything around you. In player vs player, it definitely harms the gameplay that you can see too much, but I'm still going to allow it.

At a later stage, some kind of field of view would be needed to be visualized all the time for PvP gaming, so that occluded areas would not show up, or at least the soldiers in such areas would not be rendered, so that you can actually sneak up on a human player unnoticed.

For the defence positions, we will still go with mindless following a long way :) But, like said, at least for AI teams, some kind of guarding behavior will be implemented, so that they won't just stick on one position near the leader forever. Also the AI team positioning is rather crude atm, they just go somewhere randomly in the block.

Also, some kind of commanding interface is on the design table for the player to give orders to their team members, I don't know yet how it'll look like, how it's used, or what sorts of things is supposed to be achieved with it. It needs to be something simple but effective, I don't want the game to have too much micromanagement.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:10 pm 

pasik wrote:
Blink wrote:

Initially, multiplayer will be made for cooperative gaming only, although I'm not seeing any point in restricting it to that. The cooperative aspect is just so much easier to achieve in this kind of game where you can see everything around you. In player vs player, it definitely harms the gameplay that you can see too much, but I'm still going to allow it.

At a later stage, some kind of field of view would be needed to be visualized all the time for PvP gaming, so that occluded areas would not show up, or at least the soldiers in such areas would not be rendered, so that you can actually sneak up on a human player unnoticed.

For the defence positions, we will still go with mindless following a long way :) But, like said, at least for AI teams, some kind of guarding behavior will be implemented, so that they won't just stick on one position near the leader forever. Also the AI team positioning is rather crude atm, they just go somewhere randomly in the block.

Also, some kind of commanding interface is on the design table for the player to give orders to their team members, I don't know yet how it'll look like, how it's used, or what sorts of things is supposed to be achieved with it. It needs to be something simple but effective, I don't want the game to have too much micromanagement.

Haha, it would be nice for my followers to follow my lead and get behind cover rather than get mowed down by a passing enemy. :D