It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:59 pm

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 40 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 22

All times are UTC

Post subject: A more detailed roadmap
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:21 pm 

More specifically, a stickied post that goes into more detail than the "About" tab on the main website. Ideally, it will be a list of:

• Features that will be added to the game
  • Features that will not be added to the game
  • Suggestions that have been accepted and when they will be added
  • Suggestions that have been rejected and the reason why

Thoughts?

[0.92] Worldwar v2

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:52 pm 
Site Admin

Good idea, here's some, originally from viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1130

server modes and scripts
* tweaks and balancing, some new modes, continues beyond 1.0

Mac port
* some minor kinks going on with windowed mode, some opengl oddities to fix

more modding possibilities
* metagame interface to be extended with about all commands that are carried over network from server->clients

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DONE
Spoiler:
single player and online campaign modes
more maps, configurable for assault & defend and other things

* equals Invasion 0.90
* vehicle based (seek & destroy, seek & steal & deliver) objectives
* item based (seek & steal & deliver) objectives 0.91
* overview screen, where you see the overall status of the Invasion, i.e. world map 0.90
* splitting the menu system to two parts, main menu with lobby map and in-game menu 0.90
* map transport system = adventure mode 0.93
* 11 maps
* prison break objective = destroy target in enemy base to spawn friendlies, 0.95
* support for rank and weapon bound uniforms 0.93.1
* mobile armory truck, 0.95
* destroy target support, 0.95
* more destroy targets
* boss equipment
* boss factions
* boss vehicles
* server realms
* penalizing playing mode for tk's in coop

new gameplay mechanics
* reconnaissance: spotting enemy vehicles on enemy territory gives reward and shows vehicles on map for others in faction 0.89

new item system
* basic enablers are almost done now
* vests, medikits, rare weapons = Invasion only (0.88)
* calls means at least different levels of squad drops and mortar strike like elements, maybe some kind of item (in 0.88) or vehicle drops
* reward / random loot items which are practically useless, but can be delivered to the faction in hopes of duty points reward
* respawning to consume RP with cost of equipment (0.91)
* C4 (sticky+remote detonable for destroying static targets with huge health) 0.93
* mines possibly, some ballistics-based weapons 0.93
* the other useful grenade 0.93
* more rare weapons in Invasion

new outfits
* I'm dreaming of free count faction matches
* a system that allows choosing the factions for the battle conveniently, online obviously too

more vehicles
* weapon truck for an objective
* tank
* jeep with MG / humvee? 0.92
* combat-enabled boat 0.93
* while not exactly vehicles in the usual sense, I'd add a few "static" vehicles here used as stationary weapons and/or destroy targets, TOW has been done, more to come

engineer features, wall construction
* the simple version makes it possible to set up single piece structures that provide cover and which can be destroyed, 0.90, not used in vanilla, yet 0.91

AI
* using info about weapons when joining a squad to fill a demand; squad loadout setups basically
* paratrooper call usage 0.90
* give away occupied vehicle to a higher ranking officer 0.91
* battle taxi first phase done - ad hoc battle taxi - possible to request another driving squad to wait, then enter the vehicle, and request a target to drive to 0.91
* fix the remaining walking navigation bugs: those few guys stuck in corners make me see red
* usage of cover and weapon creation items, planned 0.96

polishing
* better enemy vehicle takeover mechanism than stab through doors 0.91
* optimize loading times, 0.91 went from 47s in map5 to 17s in most maps 0,91, but could be better
* more reward chances
* vehicle collision issues

usability
* custom meshes can be set to show collision model backlines 0.89
* line of sight occlusion line visual 0.91
* post processing shader that avoids darkening 0.91
* communication markers possible to set up in 0.91 on servers; players can add position text in faction chat with RMB -- a server control script could be set to interpret a formatted chat command and generate a marker
* objective markers 0.91
* inventory UI handling improvements 0.93
* squad member slot / loadout content visualization 0.93
* occluded ladder indicators, planned 0.98
* pause (sp), planned 0.98
* revamp of scoreboard, planned 0.96
* map to show friendly bot movement (sp), planned 0.96
* log 0.95
* indicate empty stash 0.95
* menu help text, 0.94
* noob mode / control help 0.94

Mac port
* basically done

more modding possibilities
* support for faction specific weapons 0.90
* weapon specific stance accuracy parameters 0.90
* support for faction specific ranks 0.89
* support for spawning vehicles or vehicle-like elements through calls or close range usable items 0.90
* basic AI behavior with harming short range weapons -- charge 0.91
* variable map size (0.88)
* quick matches script support
* character configs (similar to what weapons and vehicles have); character control parameters, commenting, character specific animation overriding 0.93
* AI configs (some/all AI parameters I've needed to create the AI in RWR)
* campaign mod support

server modes and scripts
* PvP deathmatch 0.93.2
* round based matches (spawn locking) 0.93.2

other
* spice up the moment of winning a match, a bit

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
won't make it to RWR 1.0
* knife replacing melee items, might be skipped; not much impact in gameplay, but technically should be simple to add
* dragging wounded soldiers to safety
* delegating delivery jobs to squad mates, with a reward split
* having single metagame script communicating with multiple server instances each having a different map, the script relaying chat messages, stats, and some data about battle situation (like Invasion world overview) between servers; essentially makes it feel more like all players on these servers are in the same big battle, separated only by map boundaries (which could have hitboxes which could trigger server changes in order to travel to another location), with shared player profiles -- should largely be possible to setup already
* character based objectives (seek & kill, seek & deliver = rescue hostages)
* radio and backpack to be set up as wearable items, not much point other than make the game appear simpler than what it is, as an unlocking mechanism it is an ok idea
* limited ammo
* battle-taxi
** second phase would have a vehicle occupying AI know where to find soldiers in need of a ride, a kind of designated battle taxi, and have other AI know where to wait for a battle taxi, and jump in it
* localization support

engineer features, wall construction
* the complex version is something I dare not dream of
* at times I also think of destructible fences and other structures which have been laid out initially in the map, which won't repair themselves, issues with this are mostly AI related

* helo

Quote:
-Enter in the buildings

* would be a great feature
* RWR engine basically not capable for rendering and handling building interiors directly on spot
* a potential workaround could be that when entering a building, the player would be teleported to an off-map location, representing the floor he entered, from where he could access elevator to teleport to another floor or door to get back to outside world, but even this would be a lot of work; that said, something like this could be among the first things to do after RWR 1.0
* designing building interiors and props for them would be plenty of work too
* best that can be done currently is to change the map when accessing interiors (could be picked up by entering a hitbox), make a map that appears to be an interior, restricted to one floor, but it wouldn't won't work online and it would have rather huge unload-load time in between -- not good enough
* another workaround is to model the building as a static vehicle, and position the soldier on a static vehicle seat anywhere in the building

Quote:
-Swim under water with a special suit to be discreet

* I understand the stealth aspect in this, but I'm not entirely convinced there's a need

Quote:
Jumping down from a roof and getting a penalty for doing it / Coming down ladders by sliding, you know

* meh

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:11 pm 

Will you be making a stickied post with this information? One that you'll be updating?

[0.92] Worldwar v2

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:03 am 
Site Admin

Stickied this topic, I'll try to remember to maintain the list I posted.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:39 pm 

(Sorry i'm french and I must use Google Translation :oops:

What I'd like to see in the game:

-Fixed weapons
-Enter in the buildings

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:59 pm 
Site Admin

Vykt0R42 wrote:
(Sorry i'm french and I must use Google Translation :oops:

What I'd like to see in the game:

-Fixed weapons
-Enter in the buildings

1. Fixed aka stationary weapons was mentioned as "static vehicles" somewhere in the list :) I know, fairly odd, but re-usability is the key. Vehicles already support multiple turrets, multiple gunner seats, they can be destroyed, and they respawn, and they can be made immovable. The only things needed are the actual content, models, sounds, settings and positioning in maps.

Added 2. and 3. in the list, below the line unfortunately.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:41 pm 

Few comment's, ideas even, free for use! If you like them or something like that. I start from the one I feel more for.

Quote:
* limited ammo, maybe

How about if you would have unlimited ammo, but limited clips that you would need to reload?
for example: with AK-47 you would have 3 clips. When you shoot the game would keep track of how many bullets you have in your clips.
-You go out and shoot 5 bullets from clip 1 and reload the gun with clip 2. Now you would have clip 1 with 25 bullets and others are full. You shoot the clips 2 and 3 until they are empty, you reload with clip one that has 25 bullets. You need to spend a bit of time to reload clips 2 and 3 with bullets. Or run completely out of clips with bullets.

Refilling the clip would then done in inventory screen, by clicking the clip images or something, and it would take a x (shortish?) amount of time.

Quote:
-Enter in the buildings
* would be a great feature, but....

How about if the interiors would be part of the whole map? when you step in from an opening into a building "interior" part of the building would change how parts of the map are shown: The walls and ceilings would turn completely transparent allowing you to view the interior of the building.

I know the exteriors are small in most buildings, but for the uses in this game, you would not need much of the interior. Maybe just hallway, few openings (door, windows). And it would be cool to shoot out of the windows. Could require rework on how explosions effect players on other side of the wall, so those positions could be cleared.

And if more floors are needed, maybe then just modify the "interior" region ---> when player walks up the stairs in a building, he enters "interior_2" region that makes the walls and ceiling transparent to floor 2, and not to floor 1.

I don't know if this makes any sense. I hope so.

Besides of that, it would also be cool to have a map almost completely indoors.

BELLOW THIS LINE I DON'T CARE SO MUCH; JUST WANTED TO COMMENT

Quote:
polishing
* jumping down from a roof and getting a penalty for doing it
* coming down ladders by sliding, you know

Grappling hook and climbing rope as secondary then, please? Slower climb than with ladders, but you can go up and down from where you want.

Quote:
might or might not make it to RWR 1.0

* knife replacing melee items, might be skipped; not much impact in gameplay, but technically should be simple to add

For modding sake, if not for anything else?

Quote:
* at times I also think of destructible fences and other structures which have been laid out initially in the map, which won't repair themselves, issues with this are mostly AI related

Destructible shit would be awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:44 am 

1. Limited ammo has definitely been tossed around but not like you describe. This system seems a little unnecessary and RWR is more simplistic. If it did use ammo if would probably be a pool system or it would continue without ammo.

2. Interiors are not feasible with the engine. Probably will never make it unless RWR 2.0 on a new engine comes out.

3. Ladders and building jumping will be tweaked before 1.0

4. I have no idea what you're talking about with the knives.

5. Apparently destructible fences/low walls should be possible but will not come until later.

That's all I've got until pasik comes.

ComJak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:33 pm 

Let me try to clarify a bit. (I will fail horribly :lol: )

Quote:
1. Limited ammo has definitely been tossed around but not like you describe. This system seems a little unnecessary and RWR is more simplistic. If it did use ammo if would probably be a pool system or it would continue without ammo.

Ok now this system is out there on an idea level. I would like to reason that loading the clips is something you need to take care in the field. This is sort of my idea of "semi-limited ammo system", where you would need to consider the consumption at least a bit.

Quote:
2. Interiors are not feasible with the engine. Probably will never make it unless RWR 2.0 on a new engine comes out.

And to clarify the system I mean is to handle interiors same way than Project Zomboid, (I hope that makes it easier to visualize, what i mean about the entering a building) (And no I don't want or need or request zombie mode here! :serious face: )

Quote:
4. I have no idea what you're talking about with the knives.

Um... just a system where you could change the knife to other thing. Sort of like you can change the main weapon. So you would have a slot where you have the melee weapon. And system where you could add a number of different melee weapons in to the game, as novelty items or what ever. And I know how "high quality" the knife model is. I know this seems like no effect. But Just so if someone would want to mod in the shovel or generic wooden stick as a melee weapon.

Did these clarify what I meant with the knifes?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:00 pm 
Site Admin

Yup, that's my point about knives as well, we are on the same page. I totally understand it would open a few more doors in modding, and I want to get there, but there's no denying it won't have much if any impact in vanilla, hence the feature is there at the bottom of any mental priority list.