It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:47 pm

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 40 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 24

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:05 am 
Site Admin

Visionhunter wrote:
Well I don't know the first thing about coding/programming, but after 0.93 is released I think it would be nice if you could make and release something like that IF it's not too much work...

The things I mentioned are all already supported, it's there in the XML files. A modder just opens the files with notepad and changes stuff :P

I doubt I myself can deviate to do something like that during vanilla, as it doesn't sound even remotely related to vanilla RWR. I still have soldier type groups, rank/equipment specific models, minibosses, usability, campaign settings, prison break and misdrop objectives, AI + cover placement, Mac port, final boss stages, Steam integration (whatever that means) and so on to work on with JackMayol after 0.93. I suppose I just laid out my plans for the next 6 months.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:01 am 

Alright, alright.

Just remember the soar in sales for ArmA II when DayZ suddenly became popular... ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:13 am 
Site Admin

Visionhunter wrote:
Alright, alright.

Just remember the soar in sales for ArmA II when DayZ suddenly became popular... ;)

Of course it's possible we'll make a standalone zombie game out of RWR once RWR is done, but we really have to finish one thing at a time.

"Nothing" prevents other people from doing a zombie mod for RWR, so if anyone wants to claim the fame of being the one who made RWR skyrocket, by all means :D I try to keep my feet on the ground when it comes to these things, but if it happens, you can bet you'll be compensated for it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:49 pm 

pasik wrote:
Visionhunter wrote:
Alright, alright.

Of course it's possible we'll make a standalone zombie game out of RWR once RWR is done, but we really have to finish one thing at a time.

"Nothing" prevents other people from doing a zombie mod for RWR, so if anyone wants to claim the fame of being the one who made RWR skyrocket, by all means :D I try to keep my feet on the ground when it comes to these things, but if it happens, you can bet you'll be compensated for it.

I could design the gameplay from A to Z, but I would need someone else to actually turn my ideas into code... Any takers? :P

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:10 pm 
Site Admin

Visionhunter wrote:
I could design the gameplay from A to Z, but I would need someone else to actually turn my ideas into code... Any takers? :P

:D The term coding/programming always makes it sound harder (to me at least) than what the usual modding with RWR is, as they aren't really related unless you go heavy into gamemode scripting where you come up with new logic, which isn't really needed until in a fairly late phase of the mod when you need to incorporate map change stuff or changing some settings on the fly.. if even then.

Modding is largely just changing parameters here and there and trying it in the game what your change just did, and creating new assets, models, sounds, textures, maps. As you don't have access to the internal logic, i.e. you can't directly code any new features, you have to create the mod features with the logic that is already there and exploit any oddities to their full extent; was it TheSoldier who made mines before I even thought it was possible, that's the stuff.

It's always good to work inside the box first, set up the game so that it's a zombie massacre mod as that's the easier part.

The obstacles with mod making come with overly ambitious ideas by wanting RWR to have logic it doesn't have, e.g. you'd have to be rather creative to have something like health or hunger. You can simulate health to an extent with e.g. vest slot, allow the soldier to carry 10 vests to take 10 hits; you'll have problems with that but it's one way. Hunger you probably could implement on the gamemode script side by periodically decreasing some stored player attribute, alert the player with a message if he's feeling hungry (you could make his character say it, for example), maybe automatically consuming specific items from the backpack for eating to alter the status, and after being hungry for too long, kill the guy or remove one health item... and so on.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:23 pm 

Glad to see this is a serious discussion. Will look forward to it when someone can make it. Just got the game and having a blast.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:33 pm 
Site Admin

pasik wrote:
The biggest obvious gap would seem to be that they'd use the default running animation but still move slowly, which would just look out of place but would play about right.

Was just going through the codes and have to correct myself, this actually is already possible and used even, moving with the sandbag item equipped uses different running animation.

So the way I see it, there's nothing essential standing in the way of a zombie mod.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:39 pm 

Will the AI be willling to rush you? or will they just find cover any time you shoot at them?

I think that's the biggest deal right now. Self-preservation code :P

ComJak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:43 pm 
Site Admin

ComJak wrote:
Will the AI be willling to rush you? or will they just find cover any time you shoot at them?

I think that's the biggest deal right now. Self-preservation code :P

ComJak

I'm not sure, have you tried it? A fair amount of time ago, I supposedly added some piece of code that if a bot has a harmful melee primary weapon then the only thing he knows is to charge when he sees an enemy.

EDIT: ah yes, I tried it too back then, the brown chased me with their medikit of death :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:51 pm 

Hahaha. not the medkit!!

That actually sounds completely feasible now. Well, someone get on it.

ComJak