It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:02 am

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 46 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 72

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:27 pm 
Site Admin

Link for the Linux build: http://modulaatio.com/runningwithrifles ... _0.73.2.gz

Refer to the setup guide on how to get the server running.

EDIT:
If someone is interested about the Windows dedicated server build, just ask. I'll make the build and release it then - it appears there's not much demand for it.
Link for the Windows build: http://modulaatio.com/runningwithrifles ... 0.73.2.zip

Change log for beta 0.73.2:
vehicles: fixed a bug with spin handling, works just fine on the Windows game build

Don't forget to copy the media folder from beta 0.73 to the server folder!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:30 am 

Hello, I am interested in you making a Windows Dedicated Server Build, Because I cannot play on the servers unless i host one myself, Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:11 am 
Site Admin

Redxeno225 wrote:
Hello, I am interested in you making a Windows Dedicated Server Build, Because I cannot play on the servers unless i host one myself, Thanks!

All right, here you go, added the link to the Windows build in the original post.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:41 am 
Site Admin

There's one "unofficial" dedicated server using the name "dedicated" located in United Kingdom, been online for a past few days, hosting map2 at least from what I've seen.

I would like to ask the host to check the media files on the server, as it seems map2 is from an older build than 0.73 -- it is shown on clients playing on the server as another crate getting destroyed than the one you try to smash, and then OOS can happen easily as the client won't go through a box locally but it does on the server. The object UID's are apparently not in sync between the server resources and client resources.

Any chance, Redxeno225, that it's your server? Would be great to get it in sync, it's great that we have a real community server too!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:12 pm 

Wait, is this an update for the dedicated server and the game, or just for the server?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:01 pm 
Site Admin

Just the server.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:48 pm 

pasik wrote:
There's one "unofficial" dedicated server using the name "dedicated" located in United Kingdom, been online for a past few days, hosting map2 at least from what I've seen.

I would like to ask the host to check the media files on the server, as it seems map2 is from an older build than 0.73 -- it is shown on clients playing on the server as another crate getting destroyed than the one you try to smash, and then OOS can happen easily as the client won't go through a box locally but it does on the server. The object UID's are apparently not in sync between the server resources and client resources.

Any chance, Redxeno225, that it's your server? Would be great to get it in sync, it's great that we have a real community server too!

Hi there, that is my server, apologies on it being outdated ive not been around much this week and trying to keep track of updates is something im quite dumb with!
Ive updated the server today and it should be running the latest version again... i hope.

Some things i've been trying to look for ( although i havent spent much time looking ) is for customisation on the server?
Thinks like max_players i can set, but what about server name?

Any chance you could write up a quick manual?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:53 pm 
Site Admin

PsyK wrote:
pasik wrote:

Hi there, that is my server, apologies on it being outdated ive not been around much this week and trying to keep track of updates is something im quite dumb with!
Ive updated the server today and it should be running the latest version again... i hope.

Some things i've been trying to look for ( although i havent spent much time looking ) is for customisation on the server?
Thinks like max_players i can set, but what about server name?

Any chance you could write up a quick manual?

No worries, the server isn't the most straightforward thing there is, so seeing one launched up spontaneously was an absolute delight! :D I sincerely thank you for that.

Here are some tips for dealing with the beast:

Generally, you can see command specific help by commanding "help command_name_here", so the manual is included in the console, e.g.
Code:
>help start_server
   start_server server_port server_name client_max_start_rank register_in_serverlist
   * server_port             0 - 65535
   * server_name
   * client_max_start_rank   0.0 - 1.0
   * register_in_serverlist  0 / 1, false / true

With this in mind, you could then say e.g. "start_server 3000 MyServer 0.5 1" and this would start a server named MyServer on port 3000 with rank 5 being the max rank clients can choose and the server getting registered to be shown in the server browser. Omitting parameters from end will make them resort to some default values.

After a while, you'll grow tired of typing that over and over again if you need to restart the server often (0.73 was quite leaky so at least that needed about daily restarts in my experience). You can use a file with name commands.xml in the server folder to define aliases or shortcuts for commands you use often. Take a glimpse at http://modulaatio.com/runningwithrifles/commands.xml, you can take that as a template for your own settings. With that in place, you can then just call "1" in the console to start the game with the parameters defined for it. I've tried to pick something reasonable for each map with the 1,2,3,4 commands regarding AI accuracy and bot count, but it's anyone's guess really what are the best options.

Another one:
Code:
>help start_game
   start_game server_faction initial_areas ai_accuracy max_soldiers vehicles
   * server_faction  0 / 1, 0 = greens
   * initial_areas   0 - 7, server faction's areas, 0 means even division
   * ai_accuracy     0.0 - 1.0
   * max_soldiers    0 - any, 0 means no AI
   * vehicles        0 / 1, false / true

Server faction doesn't really affect anything else than the perspective for the next parameter (ok, the server player will be in the given faction, but there shouldn't be a server player anyway, I'm going to fix that soonish). Initial areas can be more or less than 7 on other maps, the help adjusts the value accordingly. AI accuracy has a peculiar scale compared to what you see in-game (server: 0.0 -> 1.0, in-game menu: -3,-2,-1,0,+1 etc), I'll just say now 0.87 is the same as -2, 0.91 is -1, 0.94 is 0, 0.96 is +1, and so on. Looks like the default I'm using on the servers is a tiny bit harder than 0 in single player.

Max soldiers is not capped, I think, so if you want to go crazy, you can start 10000 bot game (I'm going to wish I didn't say that).

And so on, just look into the command specific helps. If you have anything to ask, just shoot.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:17 pm 

Ah thank you for the help!

I actually figured out the command arguments while messing around after that post.
Im currently running a server with 800 bots just to see how high it can stress test. So far the server handles amazing with 1 person, would need to see more people online to see if there is an issue.

The box im using is a simple intel quad core running at 2.34ghz with about 4gb of ram, and its handling fine.

For bandwidth i have 20 megabytes of true up and down stream data.

The server is also running some other servers that we play on, namely Arma2 Terraria and i think minecraft, but those wont impact it if im right.

If you are in need of help though regarding some hosting in the UK, please feel free to PM me with any details. I'll be sure to help!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:15 am 

I had gone through the posts. A dedicated server represents a physical machine available to a single user. Due to the fact that there can be various dedicated server configurations offered by a single hosting provider, they are often not assembled prior to being actually purchased. Could you please produce some more attachments about the topic for view detail information.

windows dedicated server
linux dedicated server