RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 49 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 79

All times are UTC

Post subject: RWR Voxel Editor 0.14
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

Hey there!

EDIT: May 12th 2012, RWR Voxel Editor 0.11 released.
EDIT: December 13th, RWR Voxel Editor 0.12 released.
EDIT: September 3rd 2015, link updated
EDIT: August 6th 2016, RWR Voxel Editor 0.13 released.
EDIT: March 21st 2018, RWR Voxel Editor 0.14 released.

RWR Voxel Editor 0.14: http://www.runningwithrifles.com/wp/rwr_editor_0.14.zip
RWR Voxel Editor 0.13: http://www.runningwithrifles.com/wp/rwr_editor_0.13.zip

I guess it's not really an everyman's tool but some of you might be able to put it into a good use.

Here's some hints for the usage:
* Launching
    rwr_editor.exe [model XML file] [animation XML file]
    * When launching the editor, an OGRE dialog pops up: select the Rendering subsystem, there's only one choice. I'd also recommend using the tool in non-fullscreen mode. Click OK to run the editor.
    * If the editor is launched without command line parameters, the editing happens on a model file "new.xml". If such file doesn't exist, it will be created when the model is saved.
    * supply skip_config as a parameter to skip the config after you've done it once
    * files can also be drag & dropped on rwr_editor.exe for loading a file when launching it

* Keys and other tips:
    * General:
      ASDW: move around
      Left shift + ASDW: move around faster
      Left shift + Mouse: turn camera
      Ctrl-S: save both model and animation files
      1: Model view
      2: Animation view, can be used only if the editor has been launched with a model with a skeleton
      O: experimental magic tool that can be used to remove voxels that can't be seen from anywhere -- takes a long time to process, better save before doing this, not 100% foolproof, may also end up removing wrong voxels
      ALT-F4: quit :)

* Model view:
      * Edit voxels -tool:
        Left mouse button: add voxel
        Right mouse button: remove voxel
      * Select voxels -tool:
        Left mouse button drag:
          1# define a rectangle selector for voxels
          2# drag voxels around using the axis handles

* To paint voxels, click on the current color indicator panel
      * When working with a model with a skeleton, and making modifications to the model, click "Re-bind skeleton" to attach the new voxels to the skeleton

* Animation view:
      Left and right arrows: previous / next keyframe
      Up and down arrows: previous / next animation
      * Select & move -tool:
        Left mouse button drag:
          1# define a rectangle selector for bone points which will be made movable
          2# drag single bone point around and the other movable points will follow

* To add a keyframe, click on the timeline, and displace a bone point

* Currently, there's no playback button: simulate playback by dragging the timeline slider

I won't invest a lot of time to make the tool more user-friendly or have more features RWR development itself doesn't require right now, but when I happen to make adjustments or bug fixes to it, I will make the new versions available as well.

Having said that, let me know if you guys have problems starting the editor, I'll see what I can do.

Post subject: Re: RWR Voxel Editor 0.1
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:01 am 

Finally! :D

Time to make a ton of modded content

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:00 pm 

Oh wow, this looks cool.
I guess I'll be making a Winter War mod or something.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:48 am 

pasik wrote:
* Launching
    * When launching the editor, an OGRE dialog pops up: select the Rendering subsystem, there's only one choice. I'd also recommend using the tool in non-fullscreen mode. Click OK to run the editor.
    * If the editor is launched without command line parameters, the editing happens on a model file "new.xml". If such file doesn't exist, it will be created when the model is saved.

I'm rather new to this game and to voxel-based stuff in general. From this quoted bit above, I really haven't the foggiest how to actually open the xml files using the editor. (I'm used to programs having either a "file/open" feature or having the ability to open files that you drag and drop on them.) It also doesn't seem like the command prompt style of opening it is working. I put in the path for the moved soldier2.xml file (which for me is C:\Users\Owner\Downloads\"running with rifles"\modding\"Voxel editor"\rwr_editor\rwr_editor.exe soldier2.xml soldier_animations.xml), and the OGRE dialog comes up. However, I cant select anything. In fact, there's nothing to select. The rendering systems tab is blank, as well as the box under it.

So, how exactly do you correctly open a file in the Voxel Editor?

I'm excited to have this program - now if I could only figure out how to use it, haha.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:10 am 
Site Admin

xorte-renshe wrote:
pasik wrote:
* Launching

I'm rather new to this game and to voxel-based stuff in general. From this quoted bit above, I really haven't the foggiest how to actually open the xml files using the editor. (I'm used to programs having either a "file/open" feature or having the ability to open files that you drag and drop on them.) It also doesn't seem like the command prompt style of opening it is working. I put in the path for the moved soldier2.xml file (which for me is C:\Users\Owner\Downloads\"running with rifles"\modding\"Voxel editor"\rwr_editor\rwr_editor.exe soldier2.xml soldier_animations.xml), and the OGRE dialog comes up. However, I cant select anything. In fact, there's nothing to select. The rendering systems tab is blank, as well as the box under it.

So, how exactly do you correctly open a file in the Voxel Editor?

I'm excited to have this program - now if I could only figure out how to use it, haha.

Here are the steps I'd use, it's on Windows 7:

Unzip the zip, access the editor folder with Windows Explorer and select & copy the location on the address bar to the clipboard (Ctrl-C)

Open Start menu and type cmd (and press enter) to access Command prompt.

In Command prompt, type cd and paste the clipboard after it (right click on the screen, you may have to separately choose Paste in the context menu depending on your Command prompt settings), so that the line becomes "cd C:\location_to_the_editor_folder". Now comes the part where you call "rwr_editor.exe the_file_you_want_to_edit.xml".

If this is the first time you're launching the editor, the Ogre dialog seems completely blank, funnily enough. Now you need to click on the blank drop down box which says Rendering Subsystem on the left, this will reveal the Direct3D9 Rendering Subsystem choice, select it.

Then the dialog will be filled, you'll probably want to set Full screen to No.

Now click ok to launch the editor, and there you are then.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:01 pm 

Guys it is possible to do camo's on rifles and other Guns? What i was thinking to get with each map other skinset for guns. For example (probably) map 3 is the Urban warfare most, so it will be nice if the guns will have greyish camo the... err... i forgot the name. In CoD MW its called Digital Camouflage, and for example trenches give you normal skinned and the other there where is many wood - woodland camo or something more fitting in this?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:22 pm 
Site Admin

ResFu wrote:
Guys it is possible to do camo's on rifles and other Guns? What i was thinking to get with each map other skinset for guns. For example (probably) map 3 is the Urban warfare most, so it will be nice if the guns will have greyish camo the... err... i forgot the name. In CoD MW its called Digital Camouflage, and for example trenches give you normal skinned and the other there where is many wood - woodland camo or something more fitting in this?

Currently it's not possible, the weapons are always loaded using the same weapon_specifications.xml regardless of map. I like the idea though, I'll think about it how to provide the enablers for it in the engine.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:16 pm 

pasik wrote:
In Command prompt, type cd and paste the clipboard after it (right click on the screen, you may have to separately choose Paste in the context menu depending on your Command prompt settings), so that the line becomes "cd C:\location_to_the_editor_folder". Now comes the part where you call "rwr_editor.exe the_file_you_want_to_edit.xml".

Ah, thank you very much! This is the step I was missing! I didn't realize I had to actually change the cd path before putting in the files to open. Brilliant, haha!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:10 am 

pasik wrote:
ResFu wrote:

Currently it's not possible, the weapons are always loaded using the same weapon_specifications.xml regardless of map. I like the idea though, I'll think about it how to provide the enablers for it in the engine.

If something like this becomes possible, would it also be possible for vehicles, or even the characters themselves to change depending on what level is loaded? It would be nice to have vehicles with a snowy texture in snow, or even to have soldiers wearing trenchcoats in snow.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:37 am 
Site Admin

OzyThesage wrote:
pasik wrote:
ResFu wrote:

If something like this becomes possible, would it also be possible for vehicles, or even the characters themselves to change depending on what level is loaded? It would be nice to have vehicles with a snowy texture in snow, or even to have soldiers wearing trenchcoats in snow.

I believe so. It would sound like having a content package, in which it is defined which map, weapons, models, vehicles, sounds, etc will be used. In the game then it would be possible to select from content packages instead of maps per se.