PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:55 pm 
Site Admin

Here's the change log for beta 0.55:
- added access to roof tops, especially for map2
- initial ladder climbing animation
- container tops are also accessible now
- optimized the map view greatly
- sound device auto-choice logic changed
- adjusted spawn timers, preferred attack party size, amount of defensive forces
- a little longer day/night cycle
- fixed a minor tree color bug
- objects can now be positioned on top of multi-story buildings
- added chimneys on multi-story building roofs for cover use
- fixed bugs with bullet spread and re-adjusted it
- added a dynamic crosshair
- added itty-bitty lines to visualize occluded building contour
- fixed a bug with AI behavior, with a leader entering a block with walls/trenches sometimes starting to move back and forth within about 2 meter range
- slightly modified map1 here and there
- modified map2 extensively

Coming up in the next versions:
- loading times have increased, calls for optimization
- CPU usage has increased, some obvious spots for optimization there
- markers for team members
- controls for isolines, occluded building contour lines
- AI tends to jump down from roof occasionally when not suitable, needs some tweaking
- indicator for possibility to climb over a wall or use ladders
- new texture details and props
- water areas

Merry Christmas!

Post subject: Re: Beta 0.55
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:03 am 

Okay, I have been unavailable for approximately two months, so this is probably answered already, but I don't know.

I bought the first update that cost money, many moons ago, and I think that clears me for all the updates from then on (if it doesn't, say so), how do I get the new update?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:08 am 

Waldo wrote:
Okay, I have been unavailable for approximately two months, so this is probably answered already, but I don't know.

I bought the first update that cost money, many moons ago, and I think that clears me for all the updates from then on (if it doesn't, say so), how do I get the new update?

Just use the link you got in your email after your bought it.

In other news.. this update is awesome :D the rooftops make the game a lot more tatcical, once you get into a good place with M240, everyone is screwed :twisted:
The sounds are fun, i love the whistling of the mortars :) and birdies...

Anyway, bugs that i found.. :o

Ai gets stuck/freezes on ladders (usually at the top)
if you press space at the edge of a rooftop, the character does the climbing animation
Villa doesn't have any ladders (maybe intentional?)
Also, when inside the villa (when it is the enemies last base) I was receiving no help from new teammates, and the map showed that there were none spawning
(possibly unrelated to this update) A rock in west end, when walked into from the north, makes the player go inside, then above, then inside etc, the rock (picture http://i.imgur.com/KW0Dc.png)
I survived a direct (it bounced on my hip!) grenade while on a rooftop
(been in for a while) If you press page up while at your maximum followers and press page up, you have to press page down the same amount of times to start making the numbers go down.

I think thats all.. I expect a patch before christmas day or i shall sue :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:56 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the bug report! :) I hope to manage to make a few quick bug-fixing releases on the next weeks. It's pretty common that when a new huge feature comes in, like the roof tops, it introduces some new issues too.

Jonahdude wrote:
Anyway, bugs that i found.. :o

Ai gets stuck/freezes on ladders (usually at the top)

AI + ladders has some issues I hope to address soon. Do you see them getting stuck as in not climbing through the whole ladder or do they start jumping back and forth at the top?

Jonahdude wrote:
Villa doesn't have any ladders (maybe intentional?)

The buildings with those elevated roofs are not yet accessible, but will be in the future.

Jonahdude wrote:
Also, when inside the villa (when it is the enemies last base) I was receiving no help from new teammates, and the map showed that there were none spawning (possibly unrelated to this update)

This might very well be related to the update as I've been tweaking with the spawning/AI attack parameters. Any estimates how long did you wait for the reinforcements? I can see it being possible that there's a major flaw in the logic somewhere that your faction doesn't actually get to build an attack party of proper size, when you reach the state of having just one base to conquer.

Jonahdude wrote:
A rock in west end, when walked into from the north, makes the player go inside, then above, then inside etc, the rock (picture http://i.imgur.com/KW0Dc.png)

Ah, gotta churn those out, I'm sure there's more.

Jonahdude wrote:
I survived a direct (it bounced on my hip!) grenade while on a rooftop

Hmm, interesting. The grenades do seem to generally work on the roofs too, but there's probably some case when it fails, need to check that. Btw, was this a hand grenade or a mortar grenade?

Jonahdude wrote:
(been in for a while) If you press page up while at your maximum followers and press page up, you have to press page down the same amount of times to start making the numbers go down.

That is actually intentional, I just don't have the right visual indicators for it yet :) The last page-up press that doesn't seem to have an immediate effect means that you want to have the max followers rather than a specific number of followers, this is also the setting by default. It works so that if you get a promotion, the follower count will automatically rise to the new max rather than stick to a specific number of followers.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:57 am 
Site Admin

Waldo wrote:

Check the receipt e-mail from BMTMicro for the download links. If you no longer have it, let me know and I'll re-send it to you.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:09 pm 

Thanks for the help, that worked!

I am thoroughly impressed with the last several updates.
The game is beautiful.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:35 pm 

pasik, great work! I've really enjoyed RWR since the first release but it's definitely come a long way since then... bought beta access last night and I am really impressed, well worth the price. I will likely be gifting a copy to a friend for Christmas as well.

The new map is incredible. Firefights feel a lot more engaging and seem to last much longer - the roof access plays a huge part in this, but the AI seems to be getting smarter as well, using cover more effectively. And mortar strikes are extremely satisfying. :twisted:

A few things I noticed or would like to see improved (sorry, I'm sure some of these have already been mentioned):
• Map rotation would be nice. I read in another thread that zooming isn't really possible - I felt a need for this at first as well, but got used to playing without it rather quickly. Rotating the FOV, I think, is more important. Some ladders are only visible by a few rungs poking over the edge of a building, and sometimes the grey team silhouettes are hard to see behind certain structures.
• The green mouseover text (soldier name, experience, weapon) is tough to see against some roofs, particularly the light beige/tan ones.
• A few times I jumped down from a roof, landed on the edge of a fence and bounced away. This feels a bit glitchy but is a really minor thing.

Just a few notes for now; I expect this will keep me busy well into the new year so I'll have more feedback to provide at some point.

Thanks again for a great game! Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays. 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:49 am 
Site Admin

Paragruff wrote:
A few things I noticed or would like to see improved (sorry, I'm sure some of these have already been mentioned):
• Map rotation would be nice. I read in another thread that zooming isn't really possible - I felt a need for this at first as well, but got used to playing without it rather quickly. Rotating the FOV, I think, is more important. Some ladders are only visible by a few rungs poking over the edge of a building, and sometimes the grey team silhouettes are hard to see behind certain structures.

Rotating the view is basically possible, but I haven't yet figured out what would be the best and simplest way to control it as a player, so that it doesn't become a burden or a necessity.

Ladders that are behind buildings will be made visible in some way in the future. I've also noticed the problem with the occluded soldier silhouettes, and I'm not generally satisfied how they look. I've thought about a few rendering techniques to make it better, but they all seem sub-optimal.

Paragruff wrote:
• The green mouseover text (soldier name, experience, weapon) is tough to see against some roofs, particularly the light beige/tan ones.

I'm currently short of a black-outlined font, I think that would solve these problems.

Paragruff wrote:
• A few times I jumped down from a roof, landed on the edge of a fence and bounced away. This feels a bit glitchy but is a really minor thing.

The fences aren't something that can be walked on in the game, and currently the logic isn't yet there that the soldier would be pushed out of the fence area quickly to the ground. The usual thing that I've seen in these cases is that the soldier just slowly slides on top of the fence in an uncontrollable state until he slides off the fence.