RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 42 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 82

All times are UTC

Post subject: Beta 0.99.8.1 change log
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:16 pm 
Site Admin

Here's the change log for 0.99.8.1:
- AI: fixed driving with long and slow vehicles occasionally being detected stuck in perfectly open road
- AI: new dialogue and comments added
- campaign: fixed koth maps not respecting faction multiplier settings
- rewards: fixed kill combo bonuses not working in online anymore
- rewards: fixed rounding errors with +1XP/RP rewards
- items: default item drop counts set back to 50% from 100%
- items: fixed item duplication exploit when stunned
- weapons: fixed several cases of character getting stuck when aiming and shooting close to self
- vehicles: fixed far away vehicles getting saved in incorrect orientation
- vehicles: added hint_text support, to be used in playground / tutorial
- dominance: squad "xp cost" reduced to enable squadmates earlier
- dominance: various settings and map tweaks
- scoretable: fixed score sorting in xp score mode
- scoretable: fixed correct text to show for total / match stats when opening it after closing it as match stats
- menu: official dominance server list added
- menu: cleaned up previous server list entries from showing up momentarily when switching between server lists
- modding: added possibility for different bullet trail effects, see vanilla/particles/laser.trail file and comments in bullet.projectile file
- modding: added possibility to remove the default muzzle smoke effect, with weapons specification parameter use_basic_muzzle_smoke_effect, by default enabled

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:59 pm 

Had new situation: AI didnt want to jump to gunner or driver seat of APC. Tried many times but they all went to rear.
Later i worked normally. First time saw this.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:06 pm 
Site Admin

Street Veteran wrote:
Had new situation: AI didnt want to jump to gunner or driver seat of APC. Tried many times but they all went to rear.
Later i worked normally. First time saw this.

Was this Dominance or Invasion? Dominance is using those out-of-the-norm XP cost per squadmate and squad capacity parameters, something could be going on there.

Also, as the bots go straight to the seat slot that their internal ranking in the squad denotes, it's possible that the second-in-command in your squad, the one going to driver or gunner seat depending where you yourself are, would be stuck somewhere nearby like in a corner or something, so that he's not reaching the vehicle at all. How big was the squad you had?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:20 pm 

Dominance.

I in the beginning of this situation i had 4/4 and there was only 3 nearby. I think Ok, the highest is jammed somewhere. After few sec he probably died cause it dropped to 3/4. But still these 3 guys only went to the rear.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:19 pm 

Can we just comment on patch changes here ? I haven't found anything saying this thread is just for bugs related to new patches.
If i missed it i do apologize.

Now, to my point : one change in particular seems to be... well, i don't want to say a mistake because You may have done it deliberately - but i feel it's a mistake nonetheless. I mean the 50% drop rate of course.
I've chatted about it with players and some say this is supposed to be a band-aid to stop people from killing friendly elites for guns. This will not work, in fact it has the opposite effect.
Here's the problem - now rare weapons are even more rare so there is even more incentive to kill friendly elites. Every chance at a rare gun is that much more precious.
Another issue is WE, the players, do not always drop our own rare weapon so even when playing with friends, they can't save it for us if we die. This also applies to respawning and going to the place to retrieve it Yourself.
This creates another problem, rare users become more cautious - because it's easier to lose the rare and harder to get another one - and it often slows the flow of the game. Imagine a situation : You have a VSS or a Barrett (since these two seem to be the rarest), and you see a player get downed nearby. Are You going to risk losing Your precious favourite gun to go and help him in combat situation where it's easy to get hit by a stray bullet or a random grenade ? Most likely not, the risk/reward just doesn't add up.
Now, i know there are people who are going to ignore it - they either have a healthy surplus of rares (I'm looking at You, Street ^^), or they're so good they don't really put themselves in too much danger even at the front line.
But what about the noobies, the beginners who have a few hours under their belt and a rare or two. Will they risk their shiny new weapon or will they play it much safer, staying back and not taking any risks ?
As far as solutions go, i think You should separate drop rates. Us, the players, and the enemy should keep 100% as it used to be. Friendlies should drop to 50% or even 25%. That, or severely increase the xp/rp penalty for killing a friendly elite, up to a point where it costs You as much RP as the gun he has is worth. This might not stop the issue but i'm betting many people would think twice about killing a friendly elite if it were to cost them say 300 rp. Especially the lower ranks, for who 300 rp is quite a bit.

Sorry for the wall of text, i tried to be as eloquent about my thoughts on this as i could.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:31 pm 
Site Admin

Thrillseeker wrote:
Now, to my point : one change in particular seems to be... well, i don't want to say a mistake because You may have done it deliberately - but i feel it's a mistake nonetheless. I mean the 50% drop rate of course.
I've chatted about it with players and some say this is supposed to be a band-aid to stop people from killing friendly elites for guns. This will not work, in fact it has the opposite effect.
Here's the problem - now rare weapons are even more rare so there is even more incentive to kill friendly elites. Every chance at a rare gun is that much more precious.
Another issue is WE, the players, do not always drop our own rare weapon so even when playing with friends, they can't save it for us if we die. This also applies to respawning and going to the place to retrieve it Yourself.

That's not supposed to happen actually. While it's 50%, it should also ensure at least one item is dropped, e.g. if there's just one item of particular type, that will be dropped, if there are two, one item is dropped, if there are 3, item is guaranteed and there's 50% chance of dropping the second, etc.

This change has nothing to do with limiting rare weapons, it's a performance related change as most of the items bots and people carry are junk and if they drop everything in Invasion where there's soo many bots when player counts reach high, there are hundreds of useless items everywhere wasting on GPU cycles and increasing network traffic.

If weapons are now not always dropped, then it would seem to be a bug.

EDIT: there is actually that bug now, the handling is different for primary weapons than everything else. Thanks for bringing it up!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:35 pm 

I can confirm that elites wont drop rare weps allways.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:19 pm 

Well then, i apologize for the long winded post for no good reason :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:14 pm 

Played this night in SAS Beers and:
- noticed that almost none of the enemies doesn't drop guns or other equipment. But.... when I died all my belongings also disappeared completely - even my vests. Hope this will be fixed soon ....
- were stuck at Rattlesnake Crescent. Don't know whether this was a temporary glitch or something related with the new update.
So I PM DocStone about the situation, but as he was offline, the map remained stuck for about 12 hours. According to DocStone's answer it seems that the server has not been restarted automatically, which must happens around 04 h. GMT
Pasi, if you are interested about, you could ask him for the logs(if you have not already done).

I work quickly, cheaply and qualitatively. You can choose only two of the three options.