RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 44 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 86

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:25 pm 
Site Admin

Opt_0 wrote:
One Request:
Can you turn down the "Word Intensity" on the HUD?
With the new text it's all more noticeable and clear... and a bit to opaque.
Really felt like I was just shooting piles of words after a bit.

I don't know what this means exactly, I personally didn't feel such a difference. The font size was increased a bit due to lower case letters ending up too small. Transparency is same, also outline is roughly of similar size. So the intensity you're feeling is something coming from the font style itself, I guess.

If that's the case, then you're in luck as the font is going to be changed in 0.99.5 to one more similar as it was in 0.99.3, going to back to same size (probably 1-2 pixel difference :))

Quote:
(I'd still love a slider or toggle option for HUD target Info words. Seriously after so long, the only names and info I need is just other Players names. ) There are soooo many words on the screen!

I would REALLY love to play aversion of Invasion with NO info on the AI. Less clutter, nicer smoother clean look.
Besides you can barely see what happening behind the text any more.

Such an option could be added, yeah. I personally hate most of the HUD stuff too so it would fit to my preferences as well. I've probably learned to filter most of it by now, I honestly didn't feel anything different due to font when playing :lol: I've never even realized there's the inspector text shown when you aim at someone during combat haha.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

Opt_0 wrote:
Thank you for the US Invasion Server. My Ping dropped by half!

Yeah, it's pretty good server indeed, even I can play with a steady 120ms lag from 7500 km away. I mean, even driving vehicles works acceptable. Was playing there for a longer while in the morning today, had great fun with 10 players in Moorland Trenches. Can't even remember the last time there were 10 on a US server :P

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:50 pm 

pasik wrote:
............ Was playing there for a longer while in the morning today, had great fun with 10 players in Moorland Trenches. Can't even remember the last time there were 10 on a US server :P
In this connection I also played in SAS Inva this morning, since I saw that there are less than 10 ppl and I felt it the same as before...... Good Old Invasion 8-)
I hope the profile sharing will work perfectly for allocation of the players on the servers. ;)

I work quickly, cheaply and qualitatively. You can choose only two of the three options.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:40 pm 

I also much prefer the old font. I think it fitted very well with the identity of the game and was an excellent choice. The new one, while a fine font in its own right, just doesn't click with the game for me.

My vote would be to restore the previous font as it was before. The only issue, as you say, is capitalisation of letters. I actually like having a single case in the game and would prefer to keep non-capitalisation out of the game altogether.

The only problem, as I see it, is regarding usernames. As you probably know, the username login system is case sensitive, although this is not actually visible to the user since the font being used only had one case (all capitals). This created two problems:

1) People would use capital letters in their username, but as the font did not show this, they would be unaware of or forget which letters were capitals and be unable to login. (Or rather, they would log in and it would appear as if their stats had been reset). I know this has happened to a few people, including myself.

2) People having the same usernames. I noticed this recently when a new player joined with the same username as another regular player. One player capitalised all the letters in their username, while the other only the first letter. However, in the game, with a single font case, their names would appear identical.

So my much preferred solution would be to keep the old font but disable case differences for usernames so all letters were the same case. My opinion is that lower-case letters are for civilians and pacifists - in the macho and no-nonsense Army ALL LETTERS ARE CAPITAL LETTERS!

I appreciate this would be difficult to apply retroactively and may not be practical until The Great Reset.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:14 pm 
Site Admin

shatner wrote:
I also much prefer the old font. I think it fitted very well with the identity of the game and was an excellent choice. The new one, while a fine font in its own right, just doesn't click with the game for me.

My vote would be to restore the previous font as it was before. The only issue, as you say, is capitalisation of letters. I actually like having a single case in the game and would prefer to keep non-capitalisation out of the game altogether.

Yup, this one is in the next version viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2068#p12576

The other issue with the previous font, apart from single case, was that it could only handle the 26 basic alphabets, so it was also denying potential translations.

Quote:
The only problem, as I see it, is regarding usernames. As you probably know, the username login system is case sensitive, although this is not actually visible to the user since the font being used only had one case (all capitals). This created two problems:

1) People would use capital letters in their username, but as the font did not show this, they would be unaware of or forget which letters were capitals and be unable to login. (Or rather, they would log in and it would appear as if their stats had been reset). I know this has happened to a few people, including myself.

2) People having the same usernames. I noticed this recently when a new player joined with the same username as another regular player. One player capitalised all the letters in their username, while the other only the first letter. However, in the game, with a single font case, their names would appear identical.

So my much preferred solution would be to keep the old font but disable case differences for usernames so all letters were the same case. My opinion is that lower-case letters are for civilians and pacifists - in the macho and no-nonsense Army ALL LETTERS ARE CAPITAL LETTERS!

I appreciate this would be difficult to apply retroactively and may not be practical until The Great Reset.

Like you said, changing the policy on case sensitivity with usernames at this point is tricky at best. I suppose one of the more feasible solutions would be to have the servers process their profiles where usernames are made uniform in regards to case and name clashes are handled somehow, i.e. the profile with highest XP survives, and username case is then forced throughout the system. Single player saves would be in a similar trouble, so similar processing would need to take place there too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:05 am 

pasik wrote:
Opt_0 wrote:
One Request:
Can you turn down the "Word Intensity" on the HUD?
With the new text it's all more noticeable and clear... and a bit to opaque.
Really felt like I was just shooting piles of words after a bit.

I don't know what this means exactly, I personally didn't feel such a difference. The font size was increased a bit due to lower case letters ending up too small. Transparency is same, also outline is roughly of similar size. So the intensity you're feeling is something coming from the font style itself, I guess.

If that's the case, then you're in luck as the font is going to be changed in 0.99.5 to one more similar as it was in 0.99.3, going to back to same size (probably 1-2 pixel difference :))

Quote:
(I'd still love a slider or toggle option for HUD target Info words. Seriously after so long, the only names and info I need is just other Players names. ) There are soooo many words on the screen!

I would REALLY love to play aversion of Invasion with NO info on the AI. Less clutter, nicer smoother clean look.
Besides you can barely see what happening behind the text any more.

Such an option could be added, yeah. I personally hate most of the HUD stuff too so it would fit to my preferences as well. I've probably learned to filter most of it by now, I honestly didn't feel anything different due to font when playing :lol: I've never even realized there's the inspector text shown when you aim at someone during combat haha.

Shooting a "pile of words", I'll expain. (Sorry I speak with my own lingo in life.) But you said a couple things in your response that caught my attention:

pasik wrote:
I've never even realized there's the inspector text shown when you aim at someone during combat haha."

Do you mean at "someone" like AI or only someone meaning a Player? Or both?
And is the Inspector Text the info that pops up when you mouse over a target? (target meaning both AI and player in this context.)

Because I also have sort of tuned out all the text. And it is mostly likely a subconscious reaction to it being "new" font that makes me 'see it more'. Either way it does seem more dominate now. And I feel detracts even more from what's happening just behind it. Since it's only right where you're aiming.

But regarding Less popup info text (Inspector Text?) in co-op: Having a Setting for it may be a good idea. However, we DO need to see Player Names at least. As the player numbers have grown, the need for quick checks and field awareness is important. Knowing who's nearby helps, especially with all the player color change and overlap (nice addition with the player color shift when in a squad now ;) ). We can check the map, and the smart ones do, but on field in the moment it's really important to know who's near. Just after while... all the rest of the info isn't. Maybe rank too would be nice on player info.

"Shooting a pile of Words": In high concentration, when shooting at AI, you are focused on so many targets that there are TONS of literally "words" in your reticle. And since by default, this pop-up info is bigger than the animated character it already covers up what's happening a bit. Then in large groups you take it to a new level. So after a bit, you can't see half the awesomeness that is RWR Combat due to so much floating text right where you're aiming.

On this single subject of floating text (sry I had other quick things to say tonight so they're going in smaller responses here): if you also, personally, like minimal HUD I totally encourage you! If we get a setting, or key binding to toggle the info on and off, just leave us Player Names when we target! We really need that info in co-op. Maybe even if we target the player icons around the edge for off-screen players too? All else regarding HUD is great in my opinion! I just want to see more of the actual action where I am shooting! I miss so many good details behind words!
DAMN YOU WORDS!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:18 am 

pasik wrote:
Opt_0 wrote:
Thank you for the US Invasion Server. My Ping dropped by half!

Yeah, it's pretty good server indeed, even I can play with a steady 120ms lag from 7500 km away. I mean, even driving vehicles works acceptable. Was playing there for a longer while in the morning today, had great fun with 10 players in Moorland Trenches. Can't even remember the last time there were 10 on a US server :P

Yeah I think I'll be working on my 4th star and stock footage there. But now I can hope back and forth happily, so it's nice to know I can drop in to just play on SAS now and then too. Neat feature!

The funny thing is, remember I'm US West, that playing on the NY and SAS server my ping was always near 150-200. 100-120 on a good day, regardless of which one. But for some reason SAs was always more reliable, plus the main testing ground. I'm curious to see the difference in synch related issues.

I think I had the pleasure of fighting with ya the other day. But if so, you weren't under your "official" dev name so I didn't want to blow your cover. See ya on the field.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:35 am 

Okay what I came to originally write:

• 1) I don't know if it's been tweaked in the last 24 hrs since the new servers went up, but they felt a bit easy, or easier. I don't know if you guys changed the settings for the new ones, or maybe it's just the US settings compared to SAS? But with about 10-15 players (half brand newish) we were steamrolling the fields pretty easy. Think we did the "final map" in 19minutes? And honestly after dying so much in SAS I felt like a freaking god! I don't know if it needs to have AI Accuracy turned up a bit, but before that maybe just put in more enemy AI. We all like more action. (I know I just wasn't worried too much, I felt like a freaking pro.)

• 2) With more players we need some Chat Tweaks:

• We NEED the Squad Chat responses to show the Squad Chat Icon. It ONLY shows on outgoing chat. (So only the writer knows it's squad chat, NOT the reader as it currently functions) Half the time know one knows if we're talking in squad or if everyone can see. We had a wicked Ops assault on Keepsake bay, but half the chatter went into TeamChat so it confused people.

• We need a Local Chat channel too, that only shows on the field/screen and NOT in the chat log at all. So we can warn nearby players and stuff without spamming the chat log even more.

• I know we have chat channels, but in this case it's not a matter of turning it all off. It simply a matter of better clarity on being able to tell who's talking to who, and where.

• 3) I don't know if it's intended, but a Full Vehicle (or just the Tank?) of AI still won't stop for a player. Most noticeable on Fridge Vally. You can spend 10+ minutes chasing around the tank trying to tell it to stop. And half the time they're doing nothing with it! If you're lucky they get caught on a tree and you can get in before they crush you. I think after a Player reaches the Rank in which they get AI Sqaudmates that any player should be able to stop an ALL AI loaded Vehicle. Still like the AI outranking noobs in YOUR vehicle... but damn! The AI Vehicles just don't stop! For anyone!

Okay... done.
Little tougher Settings... or more AI... check.
Squad Chat Icons...check.
Local chat... check
Not Stopping AI Loaded Vehicles.... check...
Done... okay off to join the fight!

Last edited by Opt_0 on Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:42 am 

*this post unintentional. made massive quote by mistake... can't delete an entry?*

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:50 am 
Site Admin

Opt_0 wrote:
Okay what I came to originally write:

• 1) I don't know if it's been tweaked in the last 24 hrs since the new servers went up, but they felt a bit easy, or easier. I don't know if you guys changed the settings for the new ones, or maybe it's just the US settings compared to SAS? But with about 10-15 players (half brand newish) we were steamrolling the fields pretty easy. Think we did the "final map" in 19minutes? And honestly after dying so much in SAS I felt like a freaking god! I don't know if it needs to have AI Accuracy turned up a bit, but before that maybe just put in more enemy AI. We all like more action. (I know I just wasn't worried too much, I felt like a freaking pro.)

You're likely right, InvasionUSA is using the default settings and SAS has the ones tweaked towards more challenge. The settings could use a bit of oomph on the US soil as well.

Quote:
  • 2) With more players we need some Chat Tweaks:

• We NEED the Squad Chat responses to show the Squad Chat Icon. It ONLY shows on outgoing chat. (So only the writer knows it's squad chat, NOT the reader as it currently functions) Half the time know one knows if we're talking in squad or if everyone can see. We had a wicked Ops assault on Keepsake bay, but half the chatter went into TeamChat so it confused people.

• That's a bug, thanks for letting me know.

Quote:
  • We need a Local Chat channel too, that only shows on the field/screen and NOT in the chat log at all. So we can warn nearby players and stuff without spamming the chat log even more.
  • I know we have chat channels, but in this case it's not a matter of turning it all off. It simply a matter of better clarity on being able to tell who's talking to who, and where.

• I'm worried about the number of keys we have for chat, isn't it getting messy? This would imply having 4th key for chat. Maybe some prefix character could be used to enable locality, sort of, or something. Maybe a modifier key, e.g. alt + any of the chat keys, would only show the chat on screen to others, not as radio messages.

Quote:
  • 3) I don't know if it's intended, but a Full Vehicle (or just the Tank?) of AI still won't stop for a player. Most noticeable on Fridge Vally. You can spend 10+ minutes chasing around the tank trying to tell it to stop. And half the time they're doing nothing with it! If you're lucky they get caught on a tree and you can get in before they crush you. I think after a Player reaches the Rank in which they get AI Sqaudmates that any player should be able to stop an ALL AI loaded Vehicle. Still like the AI outranking noobs in YOUR vehicle... but damn! The AI Vehicles just don't stop! For anyone!

• The logic works so that you're requesting a vehicle for taxi, implying you're getting in as something else than driver. It's a side-effect that you can in fact pull out the driver too while he's waiting for you to get in the empty seat.

I need to make the driver say something snarky in that case :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next