Game servers 35 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 42

All times are UTC

Post subject: Beta 0.99.4 change log
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:11 pm 
Site Admin

Here's the change log for 0.99.4:

online: ban manager
online: chat logger
online: black player marker color changed to dark grey, overall brightness of marker colors increased
online: menu now offers Official Invasion servers list, profile sharing is enabled among these servers
minimodes: added start_tournament X and end_tournament admin commands to start capturing and merging substage results in tournament folder
minimodes: updated to use the new faction specific vehicles
teddyhunt: team teddy hunt remade using minimodes as basis
saves: fixed save deletion not working
characters: fixed equipment carry pose bug
maps: Vigil Island capture mode added, playable in Classic online
UI: UI/HUD font changed, this time with slight difference for lower case and upper case letters
UI: end view dismiss button
UI: inventory view mouse cursors changed
Linux: Steam services enabled; Join friend's game from Steam and highlight Steam friends in-game
Mac: game data folder location changed from ~/.running_with_rifles to ~/Library/Application Support/RunningWithRifles; first time launch, config or game, copies existing data from old to new location; feel free to delete the old folder after this

We've combined InvasionUS and SAS Invasion player profiles now, with SAS Invasion profiles replacing any matching InvasionUS profiles. So regarding the profile wipe discussion, it didn't take place, at least not now.

InvasionUS has been replaced with a much more stable InvasionUSA server now. InvasionUS had started to show poor performance, weird disconnects, awful lag spikes, since some time already.

Related to Official Invasion servers and profile sharing, if you don't actually remember your password with your SAS Invasion profile but have set the game to remember it, please join SAS Invasion server first before connecting to any other Official Invasion server, that will make the game remember that profile as your preferred Official Invasion realm profile.

Needless to say, and I'm still going to say it, there's no reason to expect this system to be bug-free at this point. If you hit weird stuff happening i.e. connecting errors about profile server not being reachable or you notice XP, RP, items, scores not saved between sessions on servers, sudden profile resets back to 0 XP, please do speak about it. We keep daily backups of the profiles on the servers so at least in some cases we should be able to help.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:51 am 

pasik wrote:
UI: UI/HUD font changed, this time with slight difference for lower case and upper case letters
Ok, using lowercase and uppercase is good idea, but I really liked the old font much more. Also, I personally get confused when reading the numbers due to this new font. So, is there any way to change it? :?

Sorry that I'm using this exact thread.

I work quickly, cheaply and qualitatively. You can choose only two of the three options.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:52 am 
Site Admin

DIO wrote:
pasik wrote:
Ok, using lowercase and uppercase is good idea, but I really liked the old font much more. Also, I personally get confused when reading the numbers due to this new font. So, is there any way to change it? :?

Not really, it's one or the other of the fonts. The previous font doesn't come with lower case letters, which is a bummer. We tried manually scaling them down for lower case but it also of course reduces the size of the outline which looks bad. The previous font also only had the basic 26 alphabets, so it wouldn't do well with translations.

So far these are the best free fonts we've found, both from Komika font family.

If you have ideas, I'm all ears.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:29 am 

I kinda liked the old font better too. The soldier info popups (name, weapon, rank) feels huge now.
Compare this to the older one:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I'd like those things to be as small as possible while still being readable, and I think that the comic-style font is kinda working against this. This is also why I preferred that old sans-serif font you had before.

As for my font suggestion: Clear Sans. Free, opensource and made for being readable at small sizes. And as far as I can see it has all the international characters you could ever desire.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:21 am 
Site Admin

DoomMetal wrote:
As for my font suggestion: Clear Sans. Free, opensource and made for being readable at small sizes. And as far as I can see it has all the international characters you could ever desire.

Everything begins by having an outline, the font won't fit with the busy background unless there's an outline. As the game heavily draws from comic style, it would need to be a proper thick outline, not just dropshadow.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:26 am 

New mini update for 0.99.4 ?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:44 pm 
Site Admin

Strabane wrote:
New mini update for 0.99.4 ?

Teddy hunt map fixes, should be only related to to the upcoming PvP event + hide that map in quick match menu.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:54 pm 

Thank you - keep up the great work. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:04 pm 
Site Admin

pasik wrote:
DIO wrote:
pasik wrote:

Not really, it's one or the other of the fonts. The previous font doesn't come with lower case letters, which is a bummer. We tried manually scaling them down for lower case but it also of course reduces the size of the outline which looks bad. The previous font also only had the basic 26 alphabets, so it wouldn't do well with translations.

So far these are the best free fonts we've found, both from Komika font family.

If you have ideas, I'm all ears.

I may have found a way to improve the status here. I personally agree that the earlier font was a little better in what came to aesthetics, and I figured a way using ImageMagick to generate a very similar outline it had and applied it on the main font in the family, the non-outlined full caps font also used as speech bubble font in RWR. So the outcome of this is that we have a font that looks like the earlier font but can also do most western alphabets, but fails with lower case.

I also realized that the menu / hud text as such mainly doesn't really benefit from having the lower case in there, if anything, it feels worse as it breaks the monotonic height in blocks of text which I like. The lower case as such is then only important for player names mostly, or anything the player can input (..apart from chat :P). FontForge to rescue then, was very easy to apply scaling to make the lower case a little bit smaller. Scoreboard will also use this font variation for displaying usernames.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:33 pm 

Some really GREAT features!. Still need time to test it all.

Thank you for the US Invasion Server. My Ping dropped by half!
(Also, the new guys can play without thinking the game is all lag, due to server distance)
DoomMetal wrote:
. The soldier info popups (name, weapon, rank) feels huge now.
I'd like those things to be as small as possible while still being readable, and I think that the comic-style font is kinda working against this. This is also why I preferred that old sans-serif font you had before.

I don't mind the new font but the effect it's had on the HUD at the moment is a bit much. It just feels Dominating on the screen at the current settings. (Font style isn't my issue.)
One Request:
Can you turn down the "Word Intensity" on the HUD?
With the new text it's all more noticeable and clear... and a bit to opaque.
Really felt like I was just shooting piles of words after a bit.

The video quality is better for me on the new US Server, but after reviewing 2 hours of clips/videos last night, almost every single clip you can barely tell what is actually happening under the target/reticle because of all the word jumble. They REALLY stand out now.

Thanks.
(I'd still love a slider or toggle option for HUD target Info words. Seriously after so long, the only names and info I need is just other Players names. ) There are soooo many words on the screen!

I would REALLY love to play aversion of Invasion with NO info on the AI. Less clutter, nicer smoother clean look.
Besides you can barely see what happening behind the text any more.

Again, for me, it's intensity of the font, not the font itself. And the general quantity now of words all over the screen.