Game servers 42 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 68

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:00 pm 
Site Admin

pasik wrote:
Opt_0 wrote:
Okay what I came to originally write:
[list]

[*]1) I don't know if it's been tweaked in the last 24 hrs since the new servers went up, but they felt a bit easy, or easier. I don't know if you guys changed the settings for the new ones, or maybe it's just the US settings compared to SAS? But with about 10-15 players (half brand newish) we were steamrolling the fields pretty easy. Think we did the "final map" in 19minutes? And honestly after dying so much in SAS I felt like a freaking god! I don't know if it needs to have AI Accuracy turned up a bit, but before that maybe just put in more enemy AI. We all like more action. (I know I just wasn't worried too much, I felt like a freaking pro.)

You're likely right, InvasionUSA is using the default settings and SAS has the ones tweaked towards more challenge. The settings could use a bit of oomph on the US soil as well.

Changed the enemy AI accuracy, AI-player compensation and AI-player reduction settings now on InvasionUSA, they are more towards the values on SAS Invasion, but not all the way there, more like 50% there.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:21 pm 

A small point on the new font, in case you hadn't noticed it. The names of the Greenbelt soldiers ("Dick Wanklin" etc) are all in upper case (big capital letters), while I think Brownpants and Greycollar names have only the first letter of each first and surname in upper case, and the other letters are small capitals.

e.g. DICK WANKLIN vs DICK WANKLIN

With the old font having a single case, this wasn't an issue.

Similary, the weapons with the font look like : P90 and AK-47

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:10 am 

As said earlier, the font has already been reworked to something closer to what is has been before.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:46 am 

Have there been any changes to the difficulty level of the SAS Invasion server in the last few days? Reduced numbers of enemy bots? The maps feel as if they're being completed quicker than previously.

Apart from Keepsake Bay and Fridge Valley (and maybe the timer maps) I'd be happy with an increase in difficulty level.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:57 am 
Site Admin

shatner wrote:
Have there been any changes to the difficulty level of the SAS Invasion server in the last few days? Reduced numbers of enemy bots? The maps feel as if they're being completed quicker than previously.

Apart from Keepsake Bay and Fridge Valley (and maybe the timer maps) I'd be happy with an increase in difficulty level.

Not as far as I know. Has there been an equivalent number of players as to what you referencing with difficulty? I have a gut feeling Invasion is easier with lower amount of players as the enemy bot count doesn't become exaggerated much.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:56 pm 

pasik wrote:
Not as far as I know. Has there been an equivalent number of players as to what you referencing with difficulty? I have a gut feeling Invasion is easier with lower amount of players as the enemy bot count doesn't become exaggerated much.

Maybe 8 or 10 players playing in the SAS Invasion, games were being completed within twenty-five minutes/half an hour.

Also, I did the US Invasion server, which I understand has different settings, last night and even one of the levels which can be quite time-consuming - Keepsake Bay - was breezed through in 29 minutes.

The new victory screen displays the time duration of the game. By collecting and analysing this data, one should get a pretty good idea of the global difficulty level of the game, as well as the relative difficulty of the maps in comparison with each other. If you could automatically collect the game duration data (and perhaps number of players), you'd have a statistically-guided means of tweaking and adjusting the difficulty level.

My opinion is that I would be in favour of increasing the difficulty of some levels by increasing the number of enemy bots. Here are my thoughts:

No change: Keepsake Bay, Fridge Valley, Power Junction, Vigil Island, Copehill Down

Could make it a little bit harder ("a drop"): Rattlesnake Crescent

Could make it a fair bit harder ("a teaspoon"): Moorland Trenches, Old Fort Creek, Bootleg Islands,

Could make it much harder still ("two table spoons"): Black Gold Estuary

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:47 pm 

Not agree. Let's better they do not touch anything. Otherwise, before long there would be a possibility to start a tons of complaints about the new settings. Trust me, this is just a brief feeling. ;)
In this regard: several months ago, we have already discussed all these SAS settings and its difficulty(here's the topic), a few changes were made some time ago and seems everything running fine(almost).
BTW this morning I played a bit in SAS Inva(map 9) and I must say I was stuck at armory near to Oil Field - the enemies were coming constantly and I could not move for 10 minutes .

I work quickly, cheaply and qualitatively. You can choose only two of the three options.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:15 am 

I say again that I am strongly of the opinion that the difficulty levels are not balanced between the maps and that I would support attempts to even them out. As I described before, I think that by analyzing game lengths this can be done without great difficulty and with reasonable accuracy.

My general feeling is that if it's less than around three quarters of an hour, a map can feel too short, and if it's going beyond an hour and a half then it's getting too long (and this isn't counting the two timer maps which I am happy to despatch swiftly).

I've been playing for a few hours today, so here's a single snapshot. I played from around 6 or 7 pm UTC to around 1.30 am UTC. There were around 30 players at the start and around 15 at the end (the US Invasion gets busier at this time).

Times taken to complete map:

Bootleg Islands - 32 minutes
Rattlesnake Crescent - 57 minutes
Black Gold Estuary - 47 minutes
Copehill Down - 23 minutes (a super-fast time)
Keepsake Bay - 2 hours 27 minutes
Fridge Valley - well, I actually gave up after at least a couple of hours of play with two bases still to capture. That was a while ago, and I can see there are nine players still playing in what could be a 3+ hour game by the time it finishes.

That's not an unusual set of results. I find Keepsake Bay and Fridge Valley can quite regularly go beyond two hours (unlike any other maps) and I would not be at all surprised if the average length of time it takes to complete them is double or more that of maps like Bootleg Islands and Black Gold Estuary.

I wrote in my previous post that Keepsake Bay and Fridge Valley merited "no change" in difficulty. I wrote that because I have kind of gotten used to them as they currently are, but really I do genuinely feel that they are slightly too hard, especially Fridge Valley. Of the non-timer maps, I feel they are the only ones where genuine stalemate can develop for long periods and where people can leave the game in frustration.

There's often a groan when Fridge Valley comes up and it hasn't scored highly on the map popularity contest. I think a lot of this is because it takes so goddang long and progress on it is so painfully slow. I think it's a fairly fun map in and of itself and would be greater appreciated if it didn't drag on so.

(Extra on Fridge Valley: I think when West Base is final base it may be tougher. East Base has an extra "secret" way over the wall. I'm not sure if this is deliberate or not, but I feel that if East base has one, so should West base, for balance reasons).

I would think that a bit of analysis of the data gathered about the length of time it takes each map to get completed would provide a simple and effective means of calibrating map difficulty. Is game length data logged by the server and retrievable?