It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:11 pm

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 44 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 142

All times are UTC

Post subject: Beta 0.4, finally!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:38 pm 
Site Admin

Beta 0.4 has been released finally! This time the distribution is handled in a bit different way; when you pre-purchase the final game here http://www.modulaatio.com/runningwithrifles/?page_id=187, you gain access to the beta download as well! All subsequent updates will be delivered this way, so keep the link safe you receive after pre-purchasing, you'll re-use it to download the updates without extra charge.

Change log for 0.4:
- enabled online mode
- added no-ai soldier count for PvP
- EDIT: PvP works with chain captures - only the base where the attack target is shown in the map can be captured
- added savegame delete functionality
- lowered AI range of sight slightly
- reduced probability to get killed by a far-away shot bullet
- reduced variance of defender count in bases slightly
- increased total amount of defenders slightly
- added more spawn points
- enabled road lines again
- fixed loading screen crash when pressing Esc or Tab
- added player and team stats view (with network info), use Delete key
- fixed bugs with AI detecting suppressed incoming fire
- fixed a location bug with spawning
- initial spawning location more random now
- sounds behind the camera are now muffled
- added Mansion base
- added rendering technique for terrain for graphics cards without shader support
- fixed resolution-dependent bug with chat/radio bubbles
- added support for umlaut letters for chatting, ä, ö and the like, let me know if it works funny for your keyboard layout
- added ability to take screenshots, use your Print screen key
- added save game info
- added birches
- when leader has his back against wall, AI soldiers now prepare for the enemy in opposite direction of leader's facing
- AI soldier crouch move following improved
- added a new command line parameter "safemode", which disables post processing shader completely
- redesigned West trench
- added possibility to control tree trunk texture in objects.svg

Issues found:
- clients see battle blocks in the map only in their neighbor blocks
- EDIT: graphics cards that can't handle the post processing shader show the game screen as single solid color, but the menu works just fine -- go to options and disable post processing to be able to play

The post processing shader has been simplified quite a bit, so it might now work also with ATI Radeon X1xxx cards and possible some others that had "microcode issues" with 0.351. If you still see microcode issues, you should launch the game on command line by "rwr_game.exe safemode", to avoid loading the post processing shader.

Here's a quick how-to for online gaming:
Basically you start or load a game, activate the server in the menu and suggest your buddies to join your game using your IP or domain name and UDP port. Make sure you set your firewall to allow incoming network traffic for the UDP port you wish to use. If you're not playing on LAN, you can find out what's your IP at e.g. http://www.whatsmyip.org/

The 0.4 beta has been so far tested in cooperative setting with 300 total soldier count with 5 players living roughly in the same region, and the gameplay was stable and stayed well in sync. I'd imagine 20-player player-vs-player without AI should be already doable with good connections and low lag. If some of you end up trying that before me, let me know how it goes! :)

EDIT: free beta 0.4 demo version is now also available, with the online features disabled. See http://www.modulaatio.com/runningwithrifles/?page_id=22 for details.

Back to video editing, oh my.

Post subject: Re: Beta 0.4, finally!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:49 pm 

It will be a while before I can buy it :(.

It was hard convincing my parents to buy other games. It's cheap though. :P

Proud to be a RwR forum moderator!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:00 pm 

What's the cost in US Dollars?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:06 pm 

McBeanie wrote:
What's the cost in US Dollars?

Seven dollars. :)

($7)

Proud to be a RwR forum moderator!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:26 pm 

Now i love RWR there's no question of that. But i cannot justify this cost yet. I mean we cant even try the multiplayer before we buy? Sure it doesn't cost a lot but if i want to get my friends into it then we need to be able to play multiplayer and there's no way they will pay before that. I think that this is too soon.

KSP has only just started voluntary pre purchasing for the same price. you can still play the latest version without doing that and will be able to for months.

I think the price is reasonable but this is too soon. If you need the cash then having voluntary donations/purchasing is the way to go at this stage. So for example there is no way i will pay £5 for this now but if you give me a few hours to try multiplayer with my friends then just like with KSP i'll probably be buying it within a few hours.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:21 pm 
Site Admin

Foamy wrote:
Now i love RWR there's no question of that. But i cannot justify this cost yet. I mean we cant even try the multiplayer before we buy? Sure it doesn't cost a lot but if i want to get my friends into it then we need to be able to play multiplayer and there's no way they will pay before that. I think that this is too soon.

KSP has only just started voluntary pre purchasing for the same price. you can still play the latest version without doing that and will be able to for months.

I think the price is reasonable but this is too soon. If you need the cash then having voluntary donations/purchasing is the way to go at this stage. So for example there is no way i will pay £5 for this now but if you give me a few hours to try multiplayer with my friends then just like with KSP i'll probably be buying it within a few hours.

Yes, you're right that you don't get to try multiplayer before buying. When the final game becomes available and there's a demo for it, I'm pretty sure you won't get to play multiplayer in the demo either.

Ideally, people would pre-purchase the game for both single and multiplayer modes. Multiplayer shouldn't be the only reason to buy the game or support its development, as most of the emphasis is on the single player gaming side. Cooperative mode is actually just an add on to single player gaming, it's simply more people playing the same game, which should be equally as fun as playing alone at least.

If you were thinking about player-vs-player with multiplayer, I can easily understand your doubts as that is something the game hasn't been specifically designed for, even if it's possible to do so. I'll try to arrange bigger testing sessions to record more videos of online gaming, both adversary and cooperative.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:25 am 

Soooo, first post and it's quite a cheery one considering I'm here to tell you I've bought the game.

Buuut since I've placed my 5 euros/7 dollars with you so faithfully, I was wondering if you could tell us how exactly you plan to distribute the beta currently? and possibly if you already know/can guess, how you will in the future?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:33 am 

Purchased in a heartbeat.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:35 am 
Site Admin

Jimmy Jazz wrote:
Soooo, first post and it's quite a cheery one considering I'm here to tell you I've bought the game.

Buuut since I've placed my 5 euros/7 dollars with you so faithfully, I was wondering if you could tell us how exactly you plan to distribute the beta currently? and possibly if you already know/can guess, how you will in the future?

Thanks for the faith :) I'm not sure if I'm understanding distribution correctly here.. but you did got the link to download the game from BMT-Micro servers on the after-purchase page and in your e-mail, right? That's the distribution. When there are going to be new releases, I'll post about it on the blog and the forum, and you should re-use the link you got (it doesn't expire, there's no download count) and you get the new release. I'll add something for the next release that checks if there's a new version available when the game starts, that should be pretty helpful.

When the game hits final, things can change. Desura, Steam, Impulse all seem like very good places to host the game, but it's pretty much up to them to decide if they want RWR there. Account transfers are usually possible to my understanding, so it is possible to get your accounts to these places from BMT-Micro and get the further updates from there, preferably automatically if I choose to integrate into some of these services.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:43 am 

There was no download link in the BMT Micro final page, nor in the first email received. But the email does state

Quote:
Your order has been received and will be reviewed by a BMT Micro representative shortly.

This is simply an email confirming that your order was received properly and is in the first stages of being filled.

This does not mean that your payment has been processed or that your order has been approved.
Other items that can affect the time it takes to complete your order are: payment verification and approval issues, incomplete address or phone information, etc. In all cases we will attempt to contact you one time to complete the order properly.

so I'm not surprised. I expect to get another email later.