It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:17 pm

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 47 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 116

All times are UTC

Post subject: Beta 0.95 servers
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:16 pm 
Site Admin

Link for the Linux build, with bundled dependencies: http://modulaatio.com/runningwithrifles ... 386.tar.gz
Link for the Windows build: http://modulaatio.com/runningwithrifles ... r_0.95.zip

You need to copy media from the actual game build to your server folder.

Remember to overwrite / adjust these files if you plan to use the gamemode scripts:
* media/packages/vanilla/scripts/admin_settings.php
* media/packages/vanilla/scripts/server_settings_classic.php / server_settings_invasion.php / server_settings_team_elimination.php
* optionally, media/packages/vanilla/scripts/comms_settings.php if you're e.g. running multiple RWR servers in the same system

Generally it's a good idea to keep a copy of these settings in your server root folder after you've set them up, I've got them at /home/pasik/rwr/running_with_rifles_server/mine. Helps when a media update comes and overwrites your settings; just copy the settings back there from your backup.

Launch the server with
Code:
./launch_server

and launch the optional script in another process to get things going, look below. You can also be the script yourself by commanding things in the server console. "help" command in the server console will get you started.

Classic gamemode script can be started with
Code:
./launch_php media/packages/vanilla/scripts/gamemode_classic.php debug_output

Invasion can be run with
Code:
./launch_php media/packages/vanilla/scripts/gamemode_invasion.php debug_output

Team elimination runs with
Code:
./launch_php media/packages/vanilla/scripts/gamemode_team_elimination.php debug_output

There's also some basic placeholder for deathmatch, launches with
Code:
./launch_php media/packages/vanilla/scripts/gamemode_deathmatch.php debug_output

Debug_output isn't exactly needed, but helps with checking that things work by seeing printing in console.

Windows build comes with handy bat files to run the scripts above.

On a headless Linux, the way I'm personally having the server and the script in different processes is by using screen and having the server run in one window and the script in another.

Template for location info: http://modulaatio.com/runningwithrifles/geoinfo.xml
Template for server console command aliases: http://modulaatio.com/runningwithrifles/commands.xml
Template for custom metagame interface settings for Linux: http://modulaatio.com/runningwithrifles/metagame.xml

Don't forget to copy the media folder from the actual game RWR beta 0.95 to the server folder!

If you're just setting up your server, check out this guide about the available match and server settings gathered up by {SAS}DocStone!

Post subject: Re: Beta 0.95 servers
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:30 pm 

Pasik, would it be too difficult for you to upload a folder with the modified media files to dropbox or something similar? The problem I have now is with the game being on steam I have to upload the media folder from my machine to the box and due to my crappy connection it does take a while, and maxes out my bandwidth for about an hour, making my internet unusable :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:14 pm 

{SAS}DocStone wrote:
Pasik, would it be too difficult for you to upload a folder with the modified media files to dropbox or something similar? The problem I have now is with the game being on steam I have to upload the media folder from my machine to the box and due to my crappy connection it does take a while, and maxes out my bandwidth for about an hour, making my internet unusable :D

Ok, I will do that next time Doc and give you the link over Steam.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:48 pm 
Site Admin

One option, probably the best one, would be that the server builds would be shipped with the game build and you could use SteamCMD to pull in the files, it would only download the changes rather than the full package even.

It would still overwrite any custom settings and tweaks which would be nice to avoid somehow.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:06 pm 

{SAS}DocStone wrote:

DocStone, what you can do is install steamcmd(assuming linux) or steam client(win) directly on the host and install RWR there. Then when an update comes out all you have to do is tell steam to update it.

Pasik: What would be nice is a clean way to include our custom trackers. Maybe something via a settings.xml or config? Right now I'll have to re-link the custom tracker to the other scripts.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:55 pm 
Site Admin

gimmic wrote:
Pasik: What would be nice is a clean way to include our custom trackers. Maybe something via a settings.xml or config? Right now I'll have to re-link the custom tracker to the other scripts.

Is it Invasion you're extending with custom trackers?

You _almost_ could just create a new gamemode_gimmic.php which would look much like gamemode_tester.php, with the exception that you'd extend GameMode from gamemode_invasion.php rather than the base Metagame, and there only override post_begin_match method to register your custom trackers. The problem right now would be that by including gamemode_invasion.php in gamemode_gimmic.php you'd also end up instancing and running GameMode at the bottom of gamemode_invasion.php which is not what you want to do.

With a little bit of rearrangement in gamemode_invasion.php, this could be avoided. I'll add that to my pile of tasks to do, makes perfect sense to correct it.

Another alternative is that you copy gamemode_invasion.php to gamemode_gimmic.php, add the custom stuff, and then merge it when updates happen.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:26 am 

Could you write the system requirements e.g requiert glibc version or Linux distribution?