It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:52 pm

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 47 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 163

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:55 am 
Site Admin

EDIT: March 15th
Link for the Windows build: http://modulaatio.com/runningwithrifles ... 0.84.2.zip
Link for the Linux build, with bundled dependencies: http://modulaatio.com/runningwithrifles ... 386.tar.gz

OLD:
Link for the Windows build: http://modulaatio.com/runningwithrifles ... 0.84.1.zip
Link for the Linux build, with bundled dependencies: http://modulaatio.com/runningwithrifles ... 386.tar.gz

Since 0.78.1:
Quote:
So, on Linux, the server now accepts input through a named pipe and can output reports through another named pipe. By default, /tmp/rwr_server_in and _out are used, you can define the pipe names by using metagame.xml, see a template below. It's particularly useful if you're running multiple RWR server instances on one system.

The server runs fine without using the pipes or a metagame script, it'll function mostly like it used to, by restarting the same match after 60 seconds once the map has completed.

If you just want to enable map rotating on the server, you can pick the map rotator -metagame script below. It's up to you, but you can copy that to the server folder and run it in another process in addition to running the server, they'll communicate if the pipes are set up right, which should be if you're using the defaults. I randomly chose to hack up the script using PHP, you'll need PHP5 installed to run it.

The way I'm currently doing it is using screen and having rwr_server running in one window and the script in another. Once you have them both running, and if you suspect nothing is happening, you can write "declare_winner 0" in rwr_server console, which will forcibly end the match, sending a report to the metagame, the script receiving it and responding with a few radio messages and countdown to change the map. If that's not happening, then something's wrong: check that the pipes get created, also rwr_server.log tells which pipes the server is using.

I'll try to come up with some stuff that should make it all a tad more convenient to work with, but at this point, it's all very experimental. Suggestions are welcome!

Template for command aliases: http://modulaatio.com/runningwithrifles/commands.xml
Template for location info: http://modulaatio.com/runningwithrifles/geoinfo.xml
Template for custom metagame interface settings for Linux: http://modulaatio.com/runningwithrifles/metagame.xml

Map rotator PHP metagame: http://modulaatio.com/runningwithrifles/maprotator.zip
Invasion PHP metagame: http://modulaatio.com/runningwithrifles/invasion.zip
You can configure the metagames in maprotator.php and invasion.php. Feel free to modify the scripts in any way you want.

EDIT: March 15th
Change log for beta 0.84.2:
metagame: Windows now supports metagame interface too via named pipes
scripts: Map rotator and Invasion scripts cleaned up

Change log for beta 0.84.1:
compatibility: beta 0.84

Don't forget to copy the media folder from the actual game RWR beta 0.84 to the server folder!

If you're just setting up your server, check out this guide about the available match and server settings gathered up by {SAS}DocStone!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:23 pm 

Cheers Pasik, server updated ;)

Now, about those Windows specific map rotation scripts.......

:D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:35 pm 
Site Admin

{SAS}DocStone wrote:
Cheers Pasik, server updated ;)

Now, about those Windows specific map rotation scripts.......

:D

:P Ok, you know, I'll look into that right now, maybe I can get my head around that quickly.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:11 pm 

If you do, Jack said he will buy you 3 packs of Jaffa Cakes (he says you love the tangy orange centre :D )

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:03 pm 
Site Admin

Ooh! :D

Good news is that I got something into the server now from the script but things just fall apart right after it. I should get this done quite soon anyhow, I'll update the Windows server then.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:58 am 
Site Admin

OP updated, 0.84.2 released.

DocStone, let me know if you're having problems with the scripts once you get to try them in Windows.

Launch the server first, then launch the script with "php maprotator.php". The script is set to change to the first map, start the match and then activate the server, so if you're normally using the init-alias to activate the server right from the launch, you might need to remove that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:46 pm 

Ohh, will give it a go later when I manage to get a free minute or two! Thanks Pasik, very much appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:19 pm 

Doc, I am not sure if it make sense that you have persitent stats on your server as it's running a normal mode and not invasion.
When I join I am not that interested how I performed the last few days (scoreboard) but rather how I perform in the actual game/map.
Also joining a game where you, as simple soldier, have to fight against colonels isn't always fair :)
Just a thought.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:34 pm 
Site Admin

JackMayol wrote:
Doc, I am not sure if it make sense that you have persitent stats on your server as it's running a normal mode and not invasion.
When I join I am not that interested how I performed the last few days (scoreboard) but rather how I perform in the actual game/map.
Also joining a game where you, as simple soldier, have to fight against colonels isn't always fair :)
Just a thought.

Related to what Jack said, now that it's possible to get those match-end signals from the Beerdrinker's server to be handled in the script, it would be possible to tweak it so that the script copies the player profiles at end of the match to a new folder, essentially archiving the results per match. The web stats script could then be extended to show the list of archived match result folders and clicking on one would show the scoreboard results per match. An overall score board summing up all the match results would be possible likewise of course.

Shouldn't take too long to put that together. If no one else is interested, I can tinker with it some day :P

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:08 am 

JackMayol wrote:
Just a thought.

The best thing about this game is it doesn't matter if you have 100 hours on server or 100 seconds - you both have exactly the same chance of killing each other in a one on one. All rank gives you is extra capacity and extra followers, it does not increase damage, accuracy or health, so in reality in PvP on non Invasion servers it means the square root of feck all :D

The reason I keep the persistent stats is so you can see how well you are doing over time, like it does in BF3 and the Battlelog stats. Perhaps it would be a better idea to have two sets of profiles kept - one per game and one persistent so that pressing F1 in game will show you how you are doing that round and map, and have the web based stats show your overall performance, including PvP kills; I have to say again this is a must for statistical recording; anyone can ramp up insane kills PvE but once a human gets involved, well, things become completely different.

So, to sum it up in a nutshell:

Have F1 show per game stats
Have the stats website show overall stats

Maybe also list the last 10 games or so, but to lose the overall stats would be a bit silly - everyone wants to be top of a leaderboard, and it will mean people will play more to do so ;)