It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:51 pm

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 41 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 69

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:45 am 
Site Admin

Irosi9 wrote:
Yeah let's get this popular:D When is the release date for the new version anyways?

There are no release dates :) Next version could be coming tomorrow, next week, or worst case the week after it. Most of the new features I'm after for the next release are already done: lmg, suppressed smg, weapon pickup, fog model improvements for better contrast, elevation appearance enhancer, soldier capacity model changed a bit, team member amount control and fixes like animation and AI tweaks, there's hope I've managed to reduce some crashes also.

I also experimented with the map editing tool chain so that I can now use inkscape for all things + a processing batch file to extract alpha masks for terrain splats and stuff like that. It should make map editing a lot more straightforward. Hopefully someone else will also be inspired to make a map mod eventually :)

I still want to add something new in the current map before making another release, like another base and/or enlarge the town.

I know you all want online support already, but it's not there yet.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:50 am 

pasik wrote:
Irosi9 wrote:
Yeah let's get this popular:D When is the release date for the new version anyways?

There are no release dates :) Next version could be coming tomorrow, next week, or worst case the week after it. Most of the new features I'm after for the next release are already done: lmg, suppressed smg, weapon pickup, fog model improvements for better contrast, elevation appearance enhancer, soldier capacity model changed a bit, team member amount control and fixes like animation and AI tweaks, there's hope I've managed to reduce some crashes also.

I also experimented with the map editing tool chain so that I can now use inkscape for all things + a processing batch file to extract alpha masks for terrain splats and stuff like that. It should make map editing a lot more straightforward. Hopefully someone else will also be inspired to make a map mod eventually :)

I still want to add something new in the current map before making another release, like another base and/or enlarge the town.

How about trying to add in water features... a lake maybe? It could have a log cabin with a dock, or maybe even a summer camp! :D

You wouldn't have to code swimming yet, so maybe an invisible wall around the lake would work for the time being?

Proud to be a RwR forum moderator!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:02 am 
Site Admin

Rendered wrote:
pasik wrote:
Irosi9 wrote:

How about trying to add in water features... a lake maybe? It could have a log cabin with a dock, or maybe even a summer camp! :D

You wouldn't have to code swimming yet, so maybe an invisible wall around the lake would work for the time being?

Lakes and rivers along with docks and bridges will come some day, I need those at least for my Mediterranean themed map, it'll take a fair amount of effort though. The water needs to wave around nicely and there are a few things to implement to get the soldiers walk on top of objects rather than on terrain.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:04 am 

pasik wrote:
Rendered wrote:
pasik wrote:

Lakes and rivers along with docks and bridges will come some day, I need those at least for my Mediterranean themed map, it'll take a fair amount of effort though. The water needs to wave around nicely and there are a few things to implement to get the soldiers walk on top of objects rather than on terrain.

AS well as some physics on the soldiers, such as momentum. Walking uphill is like walking downhill. :P

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:20 am 
Site Admin

Rendered wrote:
pasik wrote:
Rendered wrote:

AS well as some physics on the soldiers, such as momentum. Walking uphill is like walking downhill. :P

Walking uphill is slower than straight ground or downhill in 0.11, it's not much but it's noticeable. Try the hospital hill for example :) I could make the difference bigger, if it's not enough.

What I would like to see is some impact on soldiers when a non-killing shot is hit, sometimes perhaps even falling down to recover if a leg is hit. All these details would add up to the game a lot, but I still need to get the big stuff out of the way first.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:35 am 

pasik wrote:
Rendered wrote:
pasik wrote:

Walking uphill is slower than straight ground or downhill in 0.11, it's not much but it's noticeable. Try the hospital hill for example :) I could make the difference bigger, if it's not enough.

What I would like to see is some impact on soldiers when a non-killing shot is hit, sometimes perhaps even falling down to recover if a leg is hit. All these details would add up to the game a lot, but I still need to get the big stuff out of the way first.

Yeah, there was a big difference, but it still doesn't feel right. It'll require some playing around. :P

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:48 am 
Site Admin

Rendered wrote:
pasik wrote:
Rendered wrote:

Yeah, there was a big difference, but it still doesn't feel right. It'll require some playing around. :P

It's true that it isn't realistic in any sense; the animations should be completely different when going up or down a steep hill compared to straight ground animations, but creating animations is usually rather time consuming. It's quite common issue for games with hills, look at Mount & Blade for example :) I suppose there are always more important things to do than concentrating on creating a fulfilling uphill running experience :D

Maybe, it shouldn't be possible to run up a hill too steep and the soldier would resort to walking, or perhaps deny even walking it up. I'm not planning to implement such a thing in the short run though, I'd just change the hill steepness in the map if it's a problem :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:33 pm 

I can't think of any games off the top of my head that have done hills correctly.

You always pretty much stand up, even on a steep hill, and when the hill gets too steep you just bounce off, when realistically you could lay prone and sort of climb up it. The closest one I can think of is Operation Flashpoint where if you were on something that was too steep you would automatically go prone.

If climbing was implemented into this game it would solve the problem with ladders and stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:31 pm 

OzyThesage wrote:
I can't think of any games off the top of my head that have done hills correctly.

You always pretty much stand up, even on a steep hill, and when the hill gets too steep you just bounce off, when realistically you could lay prone and sort of climb up it. The closest one I can think of is Operation Flashpoint where if you were on something that was too steep you would automatically go prone.

If climbing was implemented into this game it would solve the problem with ladders and stuff.

Maybe like ropes and stuff :P

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:50 pm 

pasik wrote:
Rendered wrote:
pasik wrote:

It's true that it isn't realistic in any sense; the animations should be completely different when going up or down a steep hill compared to straight ground animations, but creating animations is usually rather time consuming. It's quite common issue for games with hills, look at Mount & Blade for example :) I suppose there are always more important things to do than concentrating on creating a fulfilling uphill running experience :D

Maybe, it shouldn't be possible to run up a hill too steep and the soldier would resort to walking, or perhaps deny even walking it up. I'm not planning to implement such a thing in the short run though, I'd just change the hill steepness in the map if it's a problem :)

It's quite funny that you can run up the highest possible angle at quite a speed. You need to make it so that if the grayscale difference is enough, they cannot climb up the slope. However you could add ladders or such into the game, but I imagine that would be quite a headache to map. You might want to change the map type one day to make truely 3d maps, because with the current system, it's impossible to create overhands or caves (unless using objects but that would require a lot of modelling for the desired effects).

I hope you release the new version by 21 july - It would be great to play it on or before my birthday!