test

Game servers 44 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 32

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:06 pm 
Site Admin

Causeless wrote:
pasik wrote:
Rendered wrote:
Yeah, there was a big difference, but it still doesn't feel right. It'll require some playing around. :P

It's true that it isn't realistic in any sense; the animations should be completely different when going up or down a steep hill compared to straight ground animations, but creating animations is usually rather time consuming. It's quite common issue for games with hills, look at Mount & Blade for example :) I suppose there are always more important things to do than concentrating on creating a fulfilling uphill running experience :D

Maybe, it shouldn't be possible to run up a hill too steep and the soldier would resort to walking, or perhaps deny even walking it up. I'm not planning to implement such a thing in the short run though, I'd just change the hill steepness in the map if it's a problem :)

It's quite funny that you can run up the highest possible angle at quite a speed. You need to make it so that if the grayscale difference is enough, they cannot climb up the slope. However you could add ladders or such into the game, but I imagine that would be quite a headache to map. You might want to change the map type one day to make truely 3d maps, because with the current system, it's impossible to create overhands or caves (unless using objects but that would require a lot of modelling for the desired effects).

I hope you release the new version by 21 july - It would be great to play it on or before my birthday!

A new version is now out, check the news area on the forum for the link :) It's true what you said about the overhangs and caves, and currently I'm not eagerly after such features. Also certain design choices have been made with that in mind, i.e. deciding to use heightmaps anyway and having the half top-down camera view. The current tall buildings and the occlusion they create is already painful enough from this camera view, not to mention what caves would be :)

Bridges actually have some similar properties to overhangs, and I will add bridges some day very likely, but those should be just fine to model / create procedurally on top of terrain.

Ladders for buildings should work ok, as long as they are positioned on south end of buildings to be easily visible for the player. The terrain as it is, can't be absolutely straight up, so putting ladders on it wouldn't work. Some kind of "half bridge" could work as something to hang out from the terrain in the mid air, and it could easily have ladders on its side/end.

When there will be bridges, I will implement the feature of moving on top of static things, and the highest possible step to take by just moving will be needed to be handled then. Sounds like a good time to add a similar check for the terrain slope as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:23 am 

I got a fevuh, and the only prescription- is more Running With Rifles.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:38 pm 

Blink... that was so coooorny. I recently went to a festival and was off my face on drugs for 2 days, but thats irrelevant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:47 pm 

I'm patiently waiting for 0.3 to come out...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:04 am 

It's good to know you aren't the only one, isn't it?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:50 am 
Site Admin

0.3 should come out today. I would've released it yesterday but realized that (re)rendering part of the scene for ambient occlusion had a huge hit on performance for no apparent reason. In fact, yesterday it seemed even that rendering an empty scene for post processing and making the actual post processing do nothing had that same hit, which makes no sense. Chances are there's something funky with me/Ogre3D/ATI.

I'll experiment some more with it today when I can, but even if I can't resolve the performance issue, I'll make the release. I'll just work with the performance on the following release then.

So, new release coming in 4 - 6 hours :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:26 pm 

Yay updates. Now to stay up for 4 - 6 hours :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:35 pm 

I didn't excpect it to come so soon!

Proud to be a RwR forum moderator!