It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 5:29 am

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 49 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 73

All times are UTC

Post subject: Dedicated Servers?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:28 am 

Hello, I'm new and I like the idea of the game, it's showing great potential in it's beta stages. I played and loved the demo and will probably buy the game shortly.

Anyway, I'm basically a guy who runs a fairly small community while owning a lot of powerful server boxes. I'm currently hosting servers for basically 'underdog' games (aka indie games, games with low player counts, etc) and I was wondering about if it's possible to host your own private dedicated server for this game yet? I've only briefly flicked through the forum and I'm under the impression that there is currently only official servers (?) presumably for beta testing, I maybe wrong though which is why I'm asking.

Also, how is the Linux support on this game? I've also read briefly that it requires quite a bit of effort to get running on Linux which is understandable considering it's a beta. If you can indeed host your own private server I was also wondering were I could acquire the server side files, preferably Linux rather than Windows. If not then is there any plans to or an ETA on when we can?

Like I said I've only briefly looked around so excuse my ignorance, I simply enjoyed the demo and, a few communities I currently hang around in, including my own little one, have mentioned this game a few times and would no doubt love the idea of growing a player base on a dedicated server for this game.

Post subject: Re: Dedicated Servers?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:43 am 

hi apeh and welcome to RWR!
This question has been asked more than once (no offense :) ) and unfortunatley the work on dedicated servers haven't really started yet. But pasik installed vmware and will start very soon (in the next few days) with the linux port and seize the occasion to work on the dedicated servers as well.
I like the idea that you'd be willing to host a RWR dedicated server and such things motivate us to higher the priority of the work on dedicated servers!
I'm pretty sure pasik will write some more detailed informations about how his work on the dedicated servers is doing (haha now you have the pressure pasik! :D)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:22 am 
Site Admin

Dedicated server support doesn't exist yet. Games can only be hosted by the usual game application running on a system with GPU, so anyone can host games but a system capable of running the usual game is required. "server1" just happens to be a laptop sitting in a corner.

Linux port is technically feasible, all the meaningful components are cross-platform, but the work on it has barely managed to begin. After that's done, it basically comes down to making it possible to run the game without Ogre3D, which shouldn't be as big a deal as it sounds, and there we have it, dedicated server support.

For the time estimation, I'm hoping all this would be done latest by mid-August, when my 4-week vacation from my main job comes to an end.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:59 am 

Thaks for the response and welcoming, I just noticed the couple of other times dedicated servers were mentioned after searching around a little more so apologies for bringing up a similar point again ;) . Glad to see that it's high on the to-do list though, looks like if all goes well for you guys I'll be prepping up some servers for the game over this summer and since I have in the past hosted official community servers it is likely the game will get a little boost in popularity too should I manage to put one or more up. Just give me a shout if you want me to throw some up for testing or what not, I have servers across Europe and the US.

Try not to feel too pressured by the way! I'm willing to wait up for such supports and, after all, I still need to hone my skills in the game and get to know how everything works before throwing down some servers to the mix, wouldn't want to appear utterly awful at a game that I host after all.

Anyway thanks again for the response and good luck with further development! The game is looking great as a beta, I'll be sticking around the forums and playing the game every now and then so hopefully I'll get a bit more knowledgeable before asking more questions :lol: