It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:22 am

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 50 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 82

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:29 pm 

The Wrenches have changed the game, for the better.

One side-effect as the community refines the use and strategy is that we (are) will start Steam Rolling maps. Airdrop AV's are a much more worth while investment, but it means we can get many on the field and keep them all alive and rolling together. No AI can fully counter this in good use. Rockets still work and are certainly a threat! The random barrages around a corner and "grenade showers" are still dangerous. Unaware FNG's still get hit by Tow Turrets.

So some discussion of ways to allow AI to counter this one aspect of Heavy AV's use. And hopefully potential solutions that don't require an entire re-balance of the game.

Some cursory ideas:

* At a certain Player AV# threshold Officer AI can Call in actual Artillery Strikes? (not just the mortars)
* Or Perhaps this effect and they will only take the opportunity to use it if a certain # of player Av's are in Artillery's Potential hitbox?
IN these intense moment players should run the risk of losing it all when we cluster with 2-4 tanks and APC's and HMV's or more! So many times we're all huddled up and yet with all the potential fallback-repair and player run turrets we can be a steal wall. It's GREAT and should be possible, but there's a certain threshold where that is invincible; almost. [This came to mind due to watching the effects of misplaced player arty strikes, wipe out the front and we risk a collapse, we lose CZ's and AI make a solid counter strike... it's a fun turn of events sometimes. Just the worst way to get it, lol]

* Sneakier AI with Rockets?
This seems like it might be an issue with getting the AI to not blow themselves up in cover. But maybe getting them to stand up from behind walls more, or moving slightly away from cover and kneeling to fire.
I can already see this one being tricky or impossible, but we (the players) may need a little behavioral change in the AI Rocket use. Watching for them to run up while switching weapons is helpful and an acquired skill. But predictable. This idea is touchy, because the AI pose no shortage of Rocket Threat as is. Yet the Steamroll is stronger individually.

*Directional Av Armor
Such as in tanks having heavier Armor Forward, MidSides, low rear. I don't know if there is any on current Av models, but I drive like there is. And most of the committed drivers do the same. Don't know if it's possible. But if it is and not currently implemented it could be a good game changer. Plus AI could try to flank with rockets more? Seems to me sometimes like this Directional Armor may exist? I swear I have been hit in the ass a few times and died faster than expected.

*Possible Airdrop Assault Vehicle Number Limits on Map>
I'd kind of hate to see this, unless it was high, just cause having the opportunity now and then is nice.
But it's another idea. Unfortunately.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:42 pm 

Opt_0 wrote:
* At a certain Player AV# threshold Officer AI can Call in actual Artillery Strikes? (not just the mortars)
* Or Perhaps this effect and they will only take the opportunity to use it if a certain # of player Av's are in Artillery's Potential hitbox?
IN these intense moment players should run the risk of losing it all when we cluster with 2-4 tanks and APC's and HMV's or more! So many times we're all huddled up and yet with all the potential fallback-repair and player run turrets we can be a steal wall. It's GREAT and should be possible, but there's a certain threshold where that is invincible; almost. [This came to mind due to watching the effects of misplaced player arty strikes, wipe out the front and we risk a collapse, we lose CZ's and AI make a solid counter strike... it's a fun turn of events sometimes. Just the worst way to get it, lol]

Yes, the AI can and will call in heavy artillery if they have access to it. In my current ... project, let's say, I've seen the enemy AI consistently call in the heaviest, most expensive and highest-rank requiring fire support they have access to. Both is awesome to see them do that, and turns into a brown-pants moment right after as you realize you're gonna get nuked. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:05 pm 

The Soldier wrote:
Opt_0 wrote:

Yes, the AI can and will call in heavy artillery if they have access to it. In my current ... project, let's say, I've seen the enemy AI consistently call in the heaviest, most expensive and highest-rank requiring fire support they have access to. Both is awesome to see them do that, and turns into a brown-pants moment right after as you realize you're gonna get nuked. :)

Okay i thought I have seen AI Arty Drop on us; besides the occasional accidental blue on blue friendly drop. Perhaps as an adjustment later the AI Mechanic could be tweaked to get them to "try harder" when there are Multiple Player Av's clustered? The swarm/heard behavior of crowds cause lots of players in AV's to cluster a bit too much which should be more vulnerability in combat than an advantage. We need something to worry about and to help encourage AV's Drivers to spread out a bit more in the form of a threat.
[Do the AI Officers that call Arty also use Binocs to increase their threat range?]

Basically we'll need something to randomly "tip" the scales now and then back to the AI when we are rolling heavy. Low player count servers still have a different feel, and I completely understand the difficulty of trying to balance for low and higher player count at the same time. This is why I was thinking of having this heavier use of AI Arty Calls focus on concentrated vehicle clusters. And in someway have this hypothetical AI Mechanic of more frequent Arty come into effect when players reach a certain number of AV's on the field (maybe a varying value to reduce predictability by players). From what I see the Steamroll with AV's (on Field and Airdrop) really comes into effect when we have a full server.

Just to be clear too, when I say "heavier use" of AI Arty Calls I mean more frequent use on these calls in general. I don't mean to suggest using the Arty8 only. I purely mean having the actual Arty Calls (2 and 8) put into use more often.