It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:53 am

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 41 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 31

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:17 am 

How do you create and insert a mod for a weapons hud image?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:37 am 

Do you want to replace a vanilla weapon's HUD image?

Anyways, the process of creating a good HUD image is easy. The hardest part if finding a good image of the weapon to start off with. Once you find a good, flat image of a weapon - with the right side of the weapon facing the camera if possible, to keep up the pattern with vanilla HUD images, (usually the best have white background, taken in a lightbox, since you can easily cut it out to make it transparent) and then open it up in a proper image editor, like Photoshop or GIMP (the free - or pirate-free - alternative, which is good) that supports transparency and delete the white portions. I'd suggest that you then select the outline of the weapon and then crop the image to that. Flip it 90 degrees so the barrel faces up. If you're not willing to download Inksccape, then resize it to be 240 pixels tall and then expand the canvas size by 10 units on each side.

If you are willing to DL Inkscape, then resize it to 480 pixels tall instead of 240. This is not the final height, mind you - just so the next step gives more detail. Open it up in Inkscape and then vectorize it by selecting the image and then going into Paths / Trace Bitmap. Tick the Colors box and Remove Background, and untick Smooth. The number of scans indicates the amount of detail the vectorizing is given - I usually for for 20 to 30, but that's up to your preference. Once that's done loading, the weapon should look vectorized - go to File / Export PNG image and export it. Then open up the exported .png file in your image editing program and resize it to 240 pixels tall. Expand the canvas, give each side 10 pixels of room. Then give it a 2-pixel wide Stroke (Center the stroke if possible, instead of Inside or Outside) and a 30% strength dropshadow in GIMP, or 5 pixels wide and 30% strength in Photoshop. Save it, done.

(this is slightly different and more complex than what I've learned from JackMayol, which was in a nice video, but I find this gives better results)