It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:23 pm

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 44 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 39

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:07 am 

1) Are you going to continue developing the single player aspect fully?

By this i mean; I really enjoy playing in single player but i a little worried that this is going to turn into another one of those games that's purely focused on multiplayer and the singleplayer is basically an afterthought (Á La; Battlefield and COD).

2) Friendly Ai (In singleplayer again) doesn't appear reinforce very much; when there's a battle in an area, i go and join my friendly AI, friendly AI all dies but the friendly AI doesn't seem to come back and help? Leaving me to try and hold off the constant stream of enemies (Which of course ends badly). Why doesn't the friendly AI come back and help?! Do they just go and attack somewhere else?

3) When you go to an area other than the main attack objective and engage enemy troops; First issue; loads of them start pouring at you, where are they all coming from?! Second Issue; I would have assumed my attack would distract some of the enemy moving to the main battle, drawing them away to fight with me, giving my friendly AI chance to push forward but this never seems to happen? The enemy AI seems to be able to be everywhere, without sacrificing reinforcements to any other area!?

4) "the war goes on without you" but from my experience so far this is not the case. Friendly AI don't seem to be able to make any breaks without me there, they will continue to fight the enemy on their own but fail to advance or make any progress.

Don't get me wrong; i'm really enjoying RWR, it's just these little niggles that are issues for me........ still an awesome game, especially as it's still in development!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:04 pm 
Site Admin

Powerman wrote:
1) Are you going to continue developing the single player aspect fully?

By this i mean; I really enjoy playing in single player but i a little worried that this is going to turn into another one of those games that's purely focused on multiplayer and the singleplayer is basically an afterthought (Á La; Battlefield and COD).

It's actually entirely the opposite; the game is first and foremost a single player game, multiplayer is the afterthought.

As such, further development won't pursue changing gameplay in drastic measures because the game is behaving largely the way as intended. Further development could be happening with usability and feature discoverability, and perhaps with addons.

Quote:
2) Friendly Ai (In singleplayer again) doesn't appear reinforce very much; when there's a battle in an area, i go and join my friendly AI, friendly AI all dies but the friendly AI doesn't seem to come back and help? Leaving me to try and hold off the constant stream of enemies (Which of course ends badly). Why doesn't the friendly AI come back and help?! Do they just go and attack somewhere else?

Friendly and enemy AI are behaving under the very same logic, except for friendly AI marginally focusing on attack more in campaign. The appearance of different behavior can be happening for number of reasons, unfavorable timing, capacity differences, unbalanced ownership of vehicles and so on, but generally the AI is the same for all sides.

You can see friendly troops and their movement in the map view if you watch it for some time. You'll see they are heading somewhere, and they go there under orders from the commander. Commander allocates troops to bases under certain distribution logic, bases near the front line are guarded better than bases farther off, same for both sides again. The red target marker shows where the commander has ordered attack forces to move into from various sides. These attack forces can be originating from anywhere where the commander has noticed a surplus of soldiers, happening mostly due to how soldiers spawn at random friendly bases.

It takes time for troops to arrive at the target marker, and they can be distracted if they come across enemies on their way or a nearby location requests backup. Unless your faction's capacity is high, e.g. you own many bases already or the general campaign settings give you enough capacity boost, you won't see attacking forces at the location all the time, but more like in waves.

Quote:
3) When you go to an area other than the main attack objective and engage enemy troops; First issue; loads of them start pouring at you, where are they all coming from?! Second Issue; I would have assumed my attack would distract some of the enemy moving to the main battle, drawing them away to fight with me, giving my friendly AI chance to push forward but this never seems to happen? The enemy AI seems to be able to be everywhere, without sacrificing reinforcements to any other area!?

What difficulty setting are you playing with? You're are playing campaign rather than quickmatches, yeah?

Generally the farther away the base is, the less it is guarded. The only exception is if the base contains something special, like radio tower, comms truck, anti-air emplacement, cargo truck, prisoner transport or a prison, for example. These assets tend to increase the amount of guards in the zone, makes sense. You'd probably want to use stealth when fighting in these situations, focus on surviving first i.e. retreat when necessary, and don't forget to use the spawn truck or flares for a nearby restore point.

You can also capture a less guarded base if you manage to beat all the guards there, most of the time helps if you can call in some paratroopers to help you get the clear upperhand for the capture. Depending on the campaign settings again, sometimes you can find bases which don't have more than 4 defenders, sometimes even empty ones.

Your attack will distract some of the enemies, sure, in fact the enemy commander will order more defense at the location if you generate an alert in the area, but depending on how much capacity the enemy has in general, it might not have a huge blow to their attack. Best way to stop the enemy attack is by destroying their comms truck or radar tower, but perhaps easier said than done.

Quote:
4) "the war goes on without you" but from my experience so far this is not the case. Friendly AI don't seem to be able to make any breaks without me there, they will continue to fight the enemy on their own but fail to advance or make any progress.

If you're playing with Hard difficulty, more of your faction's progress is up to you, that's true. We wanted Hard difficulty to make you as player go through majority of the bases we made for the game, so more often than not, the AI doesn't manage to progress alone (still, that said, they sometimes do, and especially if the enemy comms are down - also the open 3-faction areas usually cause much more random events to happen). In Easy difficulty such thing happens more regularly as well, sometimes you actually may struggle to get to fight at all.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:14 am 

please pasik for the love of all things holly make a guided stat for explosives... I want a javelin missile launcher so badly. (so badly in fact I have made 3 mod versions for testing, and can easily WIP up another, it just needs a lock on or guided system)

Really this game needs a guided, and a lock_on version for explosives, guided would follow mouse (hardest to make) lock on will lock onto vehicles (probably easier to do, as you can cause the weapon to link to projectile to the vehicle and just have it be damaged once the projectile hits.)

On the Originial posters notes, yeah harder you set the game the harder it is, though we may need more AI specific things later on (not that hard to make most that I can think of)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:11 am 

Thanks Pasik; that was a fantastic, clear and useful response.

From what you say; it seems like i'm only finding it like this because i can't see the "bigger picture" so to speak. Now that i understand the Logic a bit more i think i'll find it more enjoyable.

Also, i'm very happy about the first line in your response :-D