It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:30 pm

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 43 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 35

All times are UTC

Post subject: Campaign frustration
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:02 am 

Lots of fun, until you get to the map in the centre with 3 teams. Never ending map because you go one way the other team attacks and so your commander directs the attack back and forth. I've tried everything but just when I think we've made some progress they take the bases back. Sure burns you out.

Post subject: Re: Campaign frustration
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:44 am 
Site Admin

I might be spoiling most of the fun here, or you may actually have already tried this sort of thinking about it, but here goes:

Did you try to capture some other base yourself than the one where your commander is issuing the mass attack? That's usually the key tactic.

Spoiler:
You're then left with making the choice of which base to target. Travel behind enemy lines and inspect the bases, their general number of soldiers, their special resources (radio towers, anti-air emplacements, cargo trucks, prison transports, etc). You might notice that the bases without any specialties farther away from the border are actually pretty weakly defended, which offers you a great opportunity for a side base capture. You probably already have a few squad members by the time you get to Moorland Trenches, making capturing bases with a squad easier than without. Chances are you also have radio available by now, so you can also request paratrooper backup at the base you're storming yourself.

Paratrooper backup may be denied by the enemy anti-air emplacement somewhere in the map, so make that as your first mission. Again, scout the map, find the location, and call in mortar strikes on it or if you can handle it, use C4. Always good to bring silenced weapons for these missions, and wait for night before you go in for the task itself. If you get caught, back away and let things cool down a bit, and try again.

Now as you go behind enemy lines, you'll risk by playing far from your territory spawn points, meaning if you die, you'll have a long way to go there again. Consider using the Spawn truck as a restore point (or flares even if you have the rank and RP), you can at least spawn somewhere a bit closer. Just make sure the truck doesn't get too close to combat zone or the spawn point becomes disabled. If it does and you lose it, then there's your new mission, get the truck back from the enemies.

Stashes work behind enemy lines as well, so it may be useful to stack some goodies there in order to gain access to them while you're away from armories and if you die and lose some of the special items. C4, vests, sandbags, prepare and keep some extra in the stash.

So yeah, anti-air emplacement sabotage, side base captures, what else? You'll stumble on radio towers here and there. They may be well guarded, but it's nowhere impossible to be able to get inside and place a C4 on it. Blowing one up will stun the enemy faction comms for 3 minutes, stopping their soldier spawning and their soldier transports between bases -> chances are you or your faction's main attack party can use this period to capture the next base and reinforce it properly. You may also fluke out and find your faction's main attack party having captured an enemy base which had the tower: destroy it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:09 pm 

Yes it's tough with my low rank and only 2 squad members. At least I can fully crew a tank now. I try and hold an area when they attack or join in the attack. Even tried mounting a diversion and stop reinforcements. Maybe when I have a bigger squad things will improve.
Sometimes your so close to taking a base and you're like "man where is my support".

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:21 pm 
Site Admin

diomedesbc wrote:
Yes it's tough with my low rank and only 2 squad members. At least I can fully crew a tank now. I try and hold an area when they attack or join in the attack. Even tried mounting a diversion and stop reinforcements. Maybe when I have a bigger squad things will improve.
Sometimes your so close to taking a base and you're like "man where is my support".

2 squad members basically should be enough for backdooring (veteran players often do side base captures completely alone too) but the main thing is that you've got 4-man paratrooper call available to you as you've got 2000 XP -> there's your support. Using a few of those usually guarantees a side base capture, as long as it's not guarded heavily because of towers or cargo trucks or other stuff. Once you've made the capture, you can also use more paratroopers to get the base defended before the support gets there all the way from the other side of the map.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:49 pm 

I'll have to look at the radio call, usually I only notice the artillery. I'll see if I can get some paratrooper support.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:58 pm 
Site Admin

The commander says at the beginning of that particular map that the enemy holds an anti-air emplacement which denies airdrops in the area. You can't use paratroopers until you locate and destroy that target.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:50 am 

That's why I couldn't drop anything. Found the AA emplacement and that solved it. Too bad it doesn't stop working once you've captured it, you actually have to destroy it.

Also realized that I need to press 'pageup' to increase my squad manually. Total game changer since I could have 6 squad mates. Was able to capture map after that, didn't even get a chance to drop paratroopers. :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:06 pm 
Site Admin

The squad size should be automatically increasing by default and when it is at its max setting. There could be a bug related to that or you may have pressed page down at some point.

Anyway, cool that you got forward now!