It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:54 am

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 42 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 79

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:29 pm 

Hi

I find that's a pity when I have a dedicated server, that when I play on Official server and then on my server, I can't continue to upgrade the official soldier but I'm forced to grind a new soldier

And so on paradoxically, while I have my own "INVASION 24/7 Dedicated 1GB/s" I play much on the official server where I have my highest soldier rank, why ? Because you have multiple servers sharing the same database, but unfortunately, not even with public servers, I'm sorry but if I'm running the server with default settings, maybe on a better connectivity than yours, I'm just official...

Isn't it possible to detect if a public servers runs "official" settings, to include it in the official pool, maybe not in the official page, but at least give me the ability to play the same soldier on official and my dedicated :(

Not only this system dictates where I have to play, it dictates where others should play, why a highest ranked players would join my server to start all over a new grinding session ? They don't know me so they will never risk to play on my server because the rank they are grinding on it is saved server-side and only stored on 1 server

This is my biggest disappointment with this game, but I really love it, I hope one day you build a system similar to King Arthur Gold, where one server without any modification can be considered official

You shall not pay any more official servers, we can bring them to you, everyone would be happy, you get more official server we have much more choice where to play rather than waiting for you to setup giant server

For informations mine supports very well 150 players in Mount & Blade without any lag at all.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:46 pm 
Site Admin

The problem with making public servers share profiles with Official realm is indeed with mods and especially with the control admins get via console and external commands.

If we allowed all public servers to share profiles, we'd run into issues such as
- any player could host their own server, log in, and as a server admin grant himself 1 million XP and RP, spawn any items you can think of and go play on one of the more populated servers
- any admin, who'd get other players join his server, could manipulate other players' XP, RP and items, and for instance demote a General back to a Private, and a player suffering from such misuse wouldn't have a way to revert it, his progress would be lost for good

With the all the good intentions we had for making the game as open as possible for modding and control, we lost the possibility to validate if games are played equal between servers. That's why an element of trust is required for servers approved for the Official realm.

While it hasn't been promoted too much, it is in fact possible to create completely new server realms. A bunch of server admins could begin to cooperate and enable profile sharing for their group of servers. Similarly it would be possible for anyone to create a server realm and publish the credentials needed to join the realm so that any other public server wanting to join it could do it. I do think this heads straight to the issues presented above.

One possibility for making public servers more attractive is of course by doing some alterations in the game configs, the very thing that prevents the profile share with Official realm. How about running world's only Greycollars or Brownpants Invasion server? Profile sharing with Official server realm wouldn't even make sense in such case. Surely people will get bored of playing Greenbelts at some point so they'll start looking for alternatives, I believe. Also if Official Invasion feels too grindy, how about boosting some of the progression factors or giving a headstart? Maybe players wouldn't feel quite as bad for having to start over (just for the record, starting over is the best thing imo; what's so fun about playing with a profile where you have everything already? :))

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:07 pm 

pasik wrote:
(...) How about running world's only Greycollars or Brownpants Invasion server? Profile sharing with Official server realm wouldn't even make sense in such case. Surely people will get bored of playing Greenbelts at some point so they'll start looking for alternatives, I believe.(...)

Yeah, about that. Why are none of the servers set to other factions ? I'd love to play as Greys, they have teh coolest uniforms.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:26 am 

Thank you for the informative post pasik

pasik wrote:
If we allowed all public servers to share profiles, we'd run into issues such as
- any player could host their own server, log in, and as a server admin grant himself 1 million XP and RP, spawn any items you can think of and go play on one of the more populated servers
- any admin, who'd get other players join his server, could manipulate other players' XP, RP and items, and for instance demote a General back to a Private, and a player suffering from such misuse wouldn't have a way to revert it, his progress would be lost for good

Indeed yeah it is preferrable to reduce cheating first

pasik wrote:
With the all the good intentions we had for making the game as open as possible for modding and control, we lost the possibility to validate if games are played equal between servers. That's why an element of trust is required for servers approved for the Official realm.

Understand that, being a developer myself I understand if it has not been considered in the early development it is just too hard and not interesting to integrate now the game is released, I which I had discovered that great title before to give some deveopment feedbacks

pasik wrote:
While it hasn't been promoted too much, it is in fact possible to create completely new server realms. A bunch of server admins could begin to cooperate and enable profile sharing for their group of servers. Similarly it would be possible for anyone to create a server realm and publish the credentials needed to join the realm so that any other public server wanting to join it could do it. I do think this heads straight to the issues presented above.

That would be interesting yeah, I see it like a new column in the server browser where the user can see realm names and choose to play on a larger realm or a single one, so finally the player is presented a bit more choice, official, bigger realms, or many differents soldiers in the many other server

pasik wrote:
One possibility for making public servers more attractive is of course by doing some alterations in the game configs, the very thing that prevents the profile share with Official realm. How about running world's only Greycollars or Brownpants Invasion server? Profile sharing with Official server realm wouldn't even make sense in such case. Surely people will get bored of playing Greenbelts at some point so they'll start looking for alternatives, I believe.

Not sure what you are meaning here , actually I'm already running an Invasion server with settings without any change except max players lowered to 128, do you mean removing the grinding part and having access to all the armory weapons from the begginning ? Doesn't sound like interesting in my opinion, the grinding part is indeed fun in the game

pasik wrote:
Also if Official Invasion feels too grindy, how about boosting some of the progression factors or giving a headstart? Maybe players wouldn't feel quite as bad for having to start over (just for the record, starting over is the best thing imo; what's so fun about playing with a profile where you have everything already? :))

You have indeed some valid points, if grinding is the game is done once you have your uber character, you will be bored quickly and you might lose interest in the game quickly