It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 6:19 am

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 39 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 93

All times are UTC

Post subject: First Impressions
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:05 pm 

Hello all,

bought the game about a week ago and I'm having a blast. Just wanted to show my appreciation to the devs for such a fun game. I never buy ' early release' games, except for prison architect ( which got boring quite quickly ) and this game which so far seems perfect. It's pretty bugfree, framerate is perfect, graphics are fun and great to look at and the gameplay reminds me of men of war and soldat having a lovechild :P

The ai seems pretty brutal sometimes, which is something I haven't seen much before. They flank, take cover, nade like bosses ( sometimes a little too good :p ), reinforce, deply sandbags, use vehicles and arti.. just wow, great job guys. I'm just surprised they're aren't more people playing such a fun game, I'm sure this time will come. And grieving will follow so be prepared for that, I just read some great suggestions on this forum so I'm sure you'll sort it out. :)

Some observations:

-Map is a little too black/white, especially capping zones are a little unclear without zooming in. Find myself pressing tab back and forth alot, perhaps some way to put a custom waypoint on the map like with skyrim so I don't have to switch to see where I'm going constantly?
-Bots climbing stairs are a little glitchy, they seem to start the climbing animation then suddenly they're on the roof.. one shotting me ( when I'm waiting on top for them to come up ) I assume this is known and fixed later :)
-Reconsider the ' guys outranking you taking your stuff' method, good in concept but it's not fun when you go across the map to steal the enemy tank.. and some random guy just takes it from you. Not sure how to fix this, I assume it's to stop new people ( hate the word noobs ) from camping stuff like vehicles and such. Heck put on an xp limit to using it in the first place then, once you've played a little you know the impact of vehicles and what not to do..
-Tutorial in the future perhaps? Had to get alot of information from wiki's and such, heck didn't know I could get rp from blue items the first few days :p This would stop people from driving spawn trucks and such into enemy troops to some degree, although you can never stop stupidity 100% :oops:
-The high rank, more bots follow you system is great although pointless when surrounded by higher ranking guys. Perhaps a limit on how many bots a person can ' steal' from you so you at least get to keep 1,2 guys for cover?
-The tropical island map is absolute murder and the human team loses here alot more.. It's just not a fun map to play imho, the map is really open with little cover which means botaim reigns surpeme. Also the hills and such favors bot nade throwing alot, with you not being able to see them because of the height difference/zoom level and bots having of course no such problems :p The map reminds me of wake island bf42 which is a cool idea, but it's just lacking somewhat atm imo. Other maps are perfect so far.. Lost too much rp on this map, tend to leave the server when it comes up..

Some questions:

-Any way I can convince you guys to let me keep c4 in my inventory when I die? Tried playing spec ops with a friend the other day and when you get insta headshotted by a bot that's alot of rp just gone.. Of course this is how the system works and if you keep it like that it's fine, just makes it hard to try something new. Perhaps let me keep it at least once more after I die :oops:
-How large is the dev team? Just curious :)
-What weapons are silenced besides the pistol? Maybe I'm missing something..
-Do ak's do more damage? I fear brownpants alot more then the germans, those conscripts just seem to one shot me over and over and over..

Some suggestions:

-Don't do interior buildings. I've read people suggesting this and the game is perfect as it is. Gameplay is fluid and framerate is good as well, it wouldn't add anything gameplaywise and just make things overly complicated. Build with the system you have now and expand on that. If you do intend to add it, keep it limited.
-Of all the vehicles suggested, have you considered transport helicopters? Littlebirds for instance, would fit in the theme of the game.. would enable you to use your squad to flank around, and would be very fragile to take out by an rpg for balance. Just seems very cool to land on a roof with some squadmates, instead of walking constantly :)
-In the future perhaps some watermaps would be fun, the water looks great and swimming is fun. Midway bf42 anyone? Patrolboatwar with modern cruisers and ships sounds fun.
-Razorwire, cheap and effective at blocking streets from infantry somewhat. Vehicles can run over them, c4 can remove it, just an idea. I like fortifications and more options are always nice. Heck add in minefields, perhaps only as static ones on the map to redirect the ' flow' of combat more. Some battlefield mods used to use this and it worked to naturally funnel people through certain areas. Snow covered bunker/minefield map anyone?

Thanks for making a great game, keep up the good work. :D

Post subject: Re: First Impressions
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:31 pm 

ShavingRyansPrivates wrote:
-How large is the dev team? Just curious
-What weapons are silenced besides the pistol? Maybe I'm missing something..
-Do ak's do more damage? I fear brownpants alot more then the germans, those conscripts just seem to one shot me over and over and over..

1. As far as I know there is Pasik and Jack and... And that is it ;) From my best knowledge it is 2 member dream-team :) Of course I may be wrong here... Also they do get help from some modders (Warband for example).

2. Silenced weapons are pistols (that You knew already), MP5 (Green), Scorpion Evo III (Grey) and QCW-05 (Brown). There is also VSS Vintores (Rare), but it does not belong to any of factions.

3. Yes - AK have 5% more "damage" than M16 and G36. It does comes at cost of it's accuracy and fire rate. In my personal opinion AK is better than M16 and G36 but there is lot of people to have diffrent opinion which means it is nicely balanced.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:38 pm 

I've played about 32 hours since buying the game this weekend. I'll share my thoughts on some of your observations and suggestions.

Hello all,
Some observations:

1) Reconsider the ' guys outranking you taking your stuff' method, good in concept but it's not fun when you go across the map to steal the enemy tank.. and some random guy just takes it from you. Not sure how to fix this, I assume it's to stop new people ( hate the word noobs ) from camping stuff like vehicles and such. Heck put on an xp limit to using it in the first place then, once you've played a little you know the impact of vehicles and what not to do..

2) Tutorial in the future perhaps? Had to get alot of information from wiki's and such, heck didn't know I could get rp from blue items the first few days :p This would stop people from driving spawn trucks and such into enemy troops to some degree, although you can never stop stupidity 100% :oops:

3) The high rank, more bots follow you system is great although pointless when surrounded by higher ranking guys. Perhaps a limit on how many bots a person can ' steal' from you so you at least get to keep 1,2 guys for cover?

4) The tropical island map is absolute murder and the human team loses here alot more.. It's just not a fun map to play imho, the map is really open with little cover which means botaim reigns surpeme. Also the hills and such favors bot nade throwing alot, with you not being able to see them because of the height difference/zoom level and bots having of course no such problems :p The map reminds me of wake island bf42 which is a cool idea, but it's just lacking somewhat atm imo. Other maps are perfect so far.. Lost too much rp on this map, tend to leave the server when it comes up..

1) I think servers should have the option of keeping the current system of higher ranking officer can overtake a vehicle from a lower ranking officer. Unilaterally implementing an XP limit system I think would not be a good thing to do when the game needs more players.

But maybe there is an intermediate solution? After someone reaches the rank of corporal or sergeant, you could give them the option to modify the status of the vehicle? What do I mean? I mean when you steal an enemy vehicle, it has a marker that says "stolen". What if you could make a second marker with any text you like? That way someone could write "looking for gunner(s)" or "trying to do solo mission". At least people would be more able to be considerate of each other. Noobs like buck privates, and PFCs would have to tough it out, though!

2) I agree there should be a little tutorial, where the AI commander explains controls and how campaign works. You could make it a custom battle to facilitate training! Or you could create a custom map with a range (Surrendered AI at different ranges to test shooting guns), a grenade range, and different vehicles, so one could test all the weapons and such! Maybe you could ask modders to help out and make something?

Actually - you could make two tutorials.

Basic Training: A custom map, meant to teach the person the basics of controls, shooting, throwing grenades, shooting RPGs, driving APCs, Tanks, and boats. Then at the end it gives the person the option to change controls and test them out before leaving to the main menu or going to the next training mission.

Campaign: A custom invasion map that teaches the person the basics of invasion, what the objectives are, how to accomplish them, and any other pertinent information.

3) I think there's several different ways to reduce players stealing each other's soldiers.

(a) Officer's spawn with their own soldiers that stick with them and only them (unstealable). That is to say, a Captain would spawn with 10 soldiers. He's still free to disband them and if he does, he has to wait for new soldiers like normal.

(b) Officer's can choose a soldier by clicking on him with RMB + Mod. If a soldier is lower rank, then he automatically joins an officer's squad. Or maybe NCOs . spawn with soldiers and officers must pick them?

(c) Combination of above?

(d) BONUS: General officer's get NCOs (or lower ranking officers( in their squads. The NCOs and Officers have their own squads that the general can order by hitting a number (1-9) and the RMB for ordering the squad to move. That way a General could command between 10-100 soldiers and make a serious different on the battle. In order to prevent spam of this, you could make it so only the highest ranking person on the server has the ability to do this (and if- they choose to not have it, it goes to the next highest ranking person).

4) Botaim is hard to beat. I have no suggestions here because usually I just loot on that map!

I'm going to make the rest of my thoughts into a second post.

Wald

Last edited by Walderschmidt on Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:32 pm 

Walderschmidt wrote:

d) BONUS: General officer's get NCOs (or lower ranking officers( in their squads. The NCOs and Officers have their own squads that the general can order . by hitting a number (1-9) and the RMB for ordering the squad to move. That way a General could command between 10-100 soldiers and make a serious . different on the battle. In order to prevent spam of this, you could make it so only the highest ranking person on the server has the ability to do this (and if- . they choose to not have it, it goes to the next highest ranking person).

Love this idea, sounds really cool. Would help end those stalemates especially since we have some pretty tactical high level people that play RWR.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:06 pm 

Round Two of my thoughts.

Some questions:

1)Any way I can convince you guys to let me keep c4 in my inventory when I die? Tried playing spec ops with a friend the other day and when you get insta headshotted by a bot that's alot of rp just gone.. Of course this is how the system works and if you keep it like that it's fine, just makes it hard to try something new. Perhaps let me keep it at least once more after I die :oops:

It would be nice if you kept things you dropped when you died at a certain rank, but I think that's one thing that makes all players equal. It's frustrating, but I think you eventually learn to make do.

Some suggestions:

1) Don't do interior buildings. I've read people suggesting this and the game is perfect as it is. Gameplay is fluid and framerate is good as well, it wouldn't add anything gameplaywise and just make things overly complicated. Build with the system you have now and expand on that. If you do intend to add it, keep it limited.

2) Of all the vehicles suggested, have you considered transport helicopters? Littlebirds for instance, would fit in the theme of the game.. would enable you to use your squad to flank around, and would be very fragile to take out by an rpg for balance. Just seems very cool to land on a roof with some squadmates, instead of walking constantly :)

3) In the future perhaps some watermaps would be fun, the water looks great and swimming is fun. Midway bf42 anyone? Patrolboatwar with modern cruisers and ships sounds fun.

4) Razorwire, cheap and effective at blocking streets from infantry somewhat. Vehicles can run over them, c4 can remove it, just an idea. I like fortifications and more options are always nice. Heck add in minefields, perhaps only as static ones on the map to redirect the ' flow' of combat more. Some battlefield mods used to use this and it worked to naturally funnel people through certain areas. Snow covered bunker/minefield map anyone?

Thanks for making a great game, keep up the good work. :D

1) I think they should do interior buildings, but do them right. That means, only do them when you're ready and have time to implement everything properly. There are hangars that one can walk into and I believe there's a church on a search and destroy map that one can go inside and climb a ladder to the steeple. In the game, Men of War, the way buildings are done is that when a unit walks inside the building, the person who controls the unit can see through the walls inside the building. Only the walls that are not facing the viewer are shown. With the top down, one angle approach of this game, you can replicate the same process I think. It could make for some interesting objectives in large buildings with enemies inside them, without being too complicated.

I have some pictures to illustrate what I mean.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Notice how you see the ceiling is hollow, while the walls of the building remain intact.

Spoiler:
Image[/url]

Here's another good angle.

Luck of Duck also explains it well in his post, I think.

2) I think helicopters would be a wonderful idea. I think it's been mentioned somewhere that airplanes would not be implemented due to the game engine limits. Also, people worry about it taking away the focus from infantry combat.

I agree completely with that. I don't think there should be all kinds of aircraft. Just a transportation helicopter, one to drop the vehicles/packages off, and one for transportation. The one for transporting personnel should have machine guns to defend itself, but nothing too power to make it a viable attack helicopter. Maybe the helicopter could have an AI driver and the highest ranking person orders it around? In any case, I know it's been discussed endlessly before, so I'll end my questions on feasibility. I will reiterate though, that I agree that there should not be a huge focus on airplanes. At least not now. Countering airplanes and helicopters by ground troops and ground vehicles and boats is a huge can of worms to open, and I think trying to make that work (without 100% of success) would take away from a bunch of other things that could be implemented well and that would add to the game.

3) I think it would be awesome to have a sea map. You could make the ships huge and make it so that soldiers have several options:

a) Pilot the ship or man one of it's antipersonnel/anti-ship weapons.
    b) Be part of a commando crew boarding party that could either board the enemy ship and destroy certain parts:
      *) Radar: disables enemy call ins and respawn temporarily until either the radar respawns or someone repairs it
      *) Engine: disables ship movement (so the Captain of ship can't sail or steer
      *) Power supply: disables main guns and maybe radar temporarily (machine guns still fire)
      *) Armory: enemy troops can't change weapons until it respawns
    c) Be part of submarines or little vehicles that can target some portions of the ship or chip away at its health or combat other ships and submarines.

The above idea is inspired by Star Wars II Battlefront space battles.

And of course, I think it would be awesome to have an amphibious landing map.

4) I think would be easy to do and easily improve the game. I know that boxes disintegrate into pieces. You could make the same animation with green color for hedgerows to do the same thing.

As for wire fences, I think they should just fall over and lay flat (forming part of terrain and no longer being separate entity once they hit the ground.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Lastly, I agree this is a wonderful game. Please keep up the good work!

Wald

Edit (1): Added link to Luck of Duck's post

(2): Changed layout of photos.