It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 10:30 am

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 53 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 141

All times are UTC

Post subject: FoV (Field of Sight)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:24 am 

How does FoV work in this game? I did a couple of sneak missions, popping off guys 1 by 1 but then I made sure to no face them in the direction they were looking at, however sometimes I can see someone without him shooting at me..

I think for multi-player it would be nice if you had something like a commando, which would be harder to detect (only detectable in a limited FoV) to still allow for sneak missions, because I'm sure human opponents won't just stand still and wait, but will be more actively looking and thus making it near impossible do a sneak attack. Or perhaps allow for diminished detectability by crouching.

Sniper would also be fun, and to compensate for the fact most bullets are deadly anyway you could zoom-in so it'll be easier to hit someone.

Post subject: Re: FoV (Field of Sight)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:44 am 
Site Admin

If the AI is alert (there's some shooting going on in the area or was just recently, you see them saying something and perhaps walking around for a small while), they tend to sense you more easily also behind them. Night time reduces their range of sight, both the length and the sector. Currently there are no indicators as to tell whether you're exposed or about to be, there's one being planned though. Without the indicators you pretty much have to stay on the safe side of things when doing stealth, also consider making the move only when the AI has cooled down and not actively moving around.

Player vs player multiplayer will very likely suffer from this as the players can see the whole area in the topdown camera. A kind of obstructing FOV may be implemented in the future, but currently there are no plans for it. The game is single player/players vs AI primarily, so the needs concerning those will always come first.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:29 pm 

Why do you prefer this to be a singleplayer game in the first place? I think it would really shine in the multiplayer aspect.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:32 pm 

It was my understanding the whole game was leading towards multiplayer.
Then again single player does have some pretty good AI.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:51 pm 
Site Admin

It's not really the singleplayer I prefer, it's the cooperative online mode, which just happens to be exactly the same as singleplayer mode-wise. Also, cooperative gaming doesn't need as much online players as player vs player, so implementing and testing it is easier and less time consuming.

Nothing prevents from playing adversary online when the online supported version is released, but the topdown-view may pretty much ruin it for most people making all the efforts done for PvP futile. I can imagine playing with FOV makes the game ultra-hard, if it isn't that already. When the online mode does get released, I should get plenty of feedback of how well it works, what sucks, what is good, what could be better, and we'll see then how important it is to optimize the network for more players, add PvP features like FOV, leaderboards, stats, PvP specific mode settings, etc..

If people basically like how it works and want to see more, then a balance needs to be found between adding support to PvP-only and developing the common things further, like those jeeps everyone keeps talking about, mortars, rooftop action, lakes, new levels, etc.. As you can see, there's a lot to be done still, so I wouldn't be surprised if the game would still be getting new features after 6 months from now.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:13 pm 

To me, field of vision is definitely one of those features that should be bothered with only after knowing what exactly is its function. What gameplay it enables, and how it meshes with the gameplay already implemented?

I admit I don't care for stealth games anyway, but to me it feels like the whole day/night cycle and "stealth" currently in game are just distracting, underdeveloped features which add very little to the overall experience. I don't even participate in the nighttime action anymore, I just keep playing as in daytime (to me night just makes the enemies more like sitting ducks).

And yes, I do of course understand that the daytime cycle and stealth feel like underdeveloped features because they are just that, far from finished, so they probably shouldn't be criticized yet. Still, my two cents currently are that focusing all effort on developing and polishing the daytime action would be effort better spent.

(But, as the daytime cycle and knife are already implemented, I assume and trust that pasik has a far more complete vision for stealth than I currently get from the game, so I don't expect the stealth features to go away)