All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:59 am 

I have six different versions,

Pre-Alpha 0.1
Pre-Alpha 0.11
Pre-Alpha 0.2
Pre-Alpha 0.3
Pre-Alpha 0.35
Pre-Alpha 0.351 (It's now the 0.35 installer)

I will update as I collect more! If you have a version that is UN MODDED that I don't have, please send me all the intact files and tell me the version number via a PM.

Proud to be a RwR forum moderator!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:30 am 

:O i'm collecting them too :D

btw do you have the oasis map? :D
if not either i can send it to you(which i'm clueless in how to) or you can download it in the mods subforum :)

also wasn't there someone with the winter mod?

Look behind you. What I'm not there? I see... then look forward. Still not there? ...On the sides? Up and down? ...Where the heck am I? ... Oh wait! Yeah! I'm the one that's trying to find me ._. That's rather silly isn't it?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:44 pm 

I'm collecting also, just because I don't see a reason to get rid of them.

I don't have .351 though...

I'm getting close to the point where I will go back and play the .1 pre-alpha, just to see how much the game has grown.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:28 pm 
Site Admin

Rendered wrote:
I have six different versions,

Pre-Alpha 0.1
Pre-Alpha 0.11
Pre-Alpha 0.2
Pre-Alpha 0.3
Pre-Alpha 0.35
Pre-Alpha 0.351 (Unreleased via public means[It was just an update for a single person to fix a problem with them not being able to play])

I will update as I collect more! If you have a version that is UN MODDED that I don't have, please send me all the intact files and tell me the version number via a PM.

Actually 0.351 is now public, I edited the blog post and the Alpha 0.35 news post a while ago. It has just the launch "fix" for those particular graphics cards and the installer now requires admin rights. I think the no-sound issue is due to installing the game without admin rights, I'd expect the library installations to require that. Let's see though.

AND! If we would be punctual here, it has been Alpha instead of Pre-Alpha since 0.2 :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:34 pm 

pasik wrote:
AND! If we would be punctual here, it has been Alpha instead of Pre-Alpha since 0.2 :D

As a question of semantics, what is the difference between pre-Alpha, Alpha, and Beta? Or are they just arbitrary naming conventions?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:18 pm 

pasik wrote:

Actually 0.351 is now public, I edited the blog post and the Alpha 0.35 news post a while ago. It has just the launch "fix" for those particular graphics cards and the installer now requires admin rights. I think the no-sound issue is due to installing the game without admin rights, I'd expect the library installations to require that. Let's see though.

Well, I'll just start naming them Alpha when it's official. :P

Proud to be a RwR forum moderator!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:04 pm 
Site Admin

Waldo wrote:
pasik wrote:

As a question of semantics, what is the difference between pre-Alpha, Alpha, and Beta? Or are they just arbitrary naming conventions?

Basically it goes like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle.

In recent years though the whole version naming system has become rather messy, everyone seems to have their own way of using it and people invent their own version names.

My way is that Pre-alpha was something that I just barely wanted to show publicly, expecting most of the interested people to just try the game for a couple of minutes to say it launches ok and stop playing, and express if they find it promising or not. This was me trying to say with Pre-alpha that it's very very far from anything final and a lot of things will change, it's a keyword to emphasis the 0.1 state, "not even an alpha" describes it pretty well to most.

Alpha was a clear step up from it, eventually bringing a lot of must-have features like weapon change, more weapons, suppressive fire, fixing various crashes, improving visual quality, balancing stuff. With all the fixes it was something you could actually play and have fun with, maybe for half an hour straight, in some cases more, which is already quite a lot.

There will be a Beta phase starting soon. It should have very rare crashes, and no problems for most of people when installing or launching the game. On top of that it's just then more balancing, more maps, more features, more modding support.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:31 pm 

Okay, that makes sense.