It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:07 pm

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 96 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 407

All times are UTC

Post subject: Competitive RWR
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:00 am 

I was wondering if any people out there were thinking about starting up some more competitive RWR?

With more focus on PVP and tactics etc.

Ive been able to play some really solid games recently as the game is getting more popular. Its only a matter of time!

When I'm finished working on this contract in a week I'll be able to start hammering some things out if people are interested. Kind of a RWR league.

Post subject: Re: Competitive RWR
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:36 pm 

If RWR were to be played more competitively, a few things would need to happen.

1. Netcode and online play ironed out. Right now, teleporting soldiers, crashes, and other nasty things like that all prevent rwr from being super competitive. Trust me. Being forced to play on the SAS servers from the US, about 50-60% of my deaths are because I don't know where the hitbox of the enemy is or someone just teleports around a corner and I die. Until these issues are sorted out, competitive RWR will not really be possible.

2. We kind of need more players in each of the different regions (mainly EU and US). This sorta ties in to the above issue. If there are few US players (which there are) and more EU players, then the servers will tend to be EU servers. US players then get shafted with high ping and the problems listed above.

3. More players in general. For a real good PVP session, we need about 15-20+ people per team for real tactics to start manifesting. At the lower numbers, it's more just who can flank around the map more and who has the better ping. The low numbers now also allow camping behind chest high walls without any real threat of being flanked. For the BF type experience, 50 per side with floating objectives (not pvp locked) would be ideal I think.

I would really enjoy a more competitive RWR but until these problems are sorted out (mostly #1), I personally would just get frustrated by it if I actually cared about stats and what not. But for now, Rambo style stupidity works quite well for me.

ComJak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:27 am 

From my experiences, as long as the player's pings were all right there were no network issues. Competitive play could potentially be a thing. But as ComJak said, there just aren't enough players right now for such a thing. The most players I have seen online at one time were 9, and some had really shitty ping because they were from the other side of the world. So until more players from each region (NA and EU) start to play, this could not be.

Also, more guns = more strategies = a more tactical game, which makes it competitive. Or maybe I just like variety, who knows?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:46 am 

Good points.

The netcode does need some refining.. Whatever that might be, I only took one computer science course so I have no idea.

I was wondering if there was a way to make AI only available as squad members, as in no random AI running around. This would keep gameplay very tight and suspenseful. And would make keeping your squad alive worth something. Just an idea. I feel this would be good for PVP anyways.

The community seems to be very spread out as well. Once we have some more north american players I'll devote some time to setting a league up/paying for a server or two.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:54 pm 

Any news on competitive RWR? With the current Beta 0.92 release are there still the problems as previously mentioned, or could tactical PVP matches now be a reality??.. Even as a relative RWR newbie I'm up for an EU all-comers league.. one day soon hopefully!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:05 pm 

We are seeing a lot more people on a regular basis now which is pretty neat. Not too much action on the PVP servers as of yet. Ill give it some more time still. This summer maybe Ill get a server going and mess with the gamemodes a little.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:03 am 

the next event will be some PvP action. Should happen relatively soon.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:12 pm 

Comjak just imagine being about the only Australian RWR player ;)

Pings are at minimum nightmareish :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:55 pm 

Tadler has experimented with bullet speeds, and with higher bullet speed shooting people with higher ping is easier.

I was able to reliably shoot him with the sniper rifle while he was moving, from max screen distance, when I had 200 ping.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:11 pm 

Increasing bullet speed is a good idea I think. I don't quite understand why they are as slow as they are anyways. Im glad it helps partially resolve high latency issues.