It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 7:03 pm

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 47 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 33

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:02 pm 

Reckon he'd be willing to teach me a couple of things?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:55 am 
Site Admin

Currently I'm just fine handling the programming myself, but thanks for the offer.

Getting people to know about the project is probably the area that is lacking the most, and that's something where each of you can contribute. Just talk about it to your friends, suggest news ideas to gaming related websites and blogs, fill youtube with videos. When I'll get the basic online support implemented, I'll bombard some indie gaming sites with news and videos myself too. I believe that's the feature everyone's waiting now.

Another good way to contribute would be to create more maps and share them. It's not necessarily an easy feat quite yet, but if you know how to use inkscape, have 7-zip and imagemagick installed, you're almost there. I recommend using the map provided in the game as a template (media\maps\map1\objects.svg), the layers are all set up there correctly and you can see the different object types, so just copy/paste/move/delete/modify at will.

If you also edit the terrain (grass,sand,road,asphalt layers in inkscape), you should also save it as map.zip with JessyInk zip type in inkscape (can be a little slow) and run media\maps\map1\process.bat (edit process.bat if you need to, it makes a few assumptions where 7-zip and imagemagick is located). Mystery has given it a shot, see this http://www.modulaatio.com/runningwithrifles/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=100 (I'm not sure if it's for 0.3 or 0.2 version).

You can run "rwr_game.exe map" to wander around with the camera in the map you've created.

I admit that currently the map editing is a quite a hack, and I wouldn't recommend it unless you're ..hmm, a power user. It will become easier in the future as I add more support for it. I probably should also make a video of map editing to explain a few things in more detail.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:40 pm 

how did you actually 'make the game'?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:12 pm 
Site Admin

dannyboi93 wrote:
how did you actually 'make the game'?

That's one broad question. To put it briefly, I took Ogre3D for handling the graphics side, OpenAL for audio, Enet for networking, and programmed in C++ language like a monkey since January.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:16 pm 

That answers my question :D