Perfect as it is 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Needs improvement 76%  76%  [ 13 ]
Absolutely dislike it 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Prefer having no inventory 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 17
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:09 pm 

pasik wrote:
{SAS}DocStone wrote:
Being honest I think the inventory system is something this game doesn't really need, and could make the game lose the fun and frantic gameplay that makes me (and others) love it so much. By over-complicating the gameplay you could be in danger of diluting the fun and creating "breaks" in the flow of the game, and that to me defeats the whole idea. Don't get me wrong, I like how you have done it, but I really feel the game doesn't need it to progress.

The idea of the inventory is not to change the gameplay that is already there, but bring more possibilities you may or may not use. I believe you can still play 0.85 the usual way, hit pickup for quick swap, equip + drop.

The main driver behind the inventory and Invasion is to fight against the criticism we've received for the game being shallow, having severe lack of depth. The inventory and Invasion has been targeted to players who prefer watching their unit progress through a campaign, unlocking new weapons and capabilities, looting fancy items, executing objectives, earning rewards and doing some trading. We believe a sense of progression is the key here to fight the lack of depth. Single match games, PvP with bots is a different world that doesn't need any of this, and thus it's not going to be forced there.

Ah, good to hear Pasik, and I should have said that my above thoughts are only with regards to PvP gameplay. I can see how it would be a great improvement for the "depth" of single player and Invasion style gameplay which is played at a completely different pacing from PvP though, and with the plans you have for those game modes (side objectives, random targets etc) it may be something that would grow on me, but to be honest those game modes just don't interest me very much, the same as the single player and co-op modes in BF3.

You have created something special in RwR, and I say this as a gamer who started out on the zx81 far, far too many years ago to post in an open forum, lol, but it speaks wonders for the game when once the Cannon Fodder memories went, both me and a Clan Mate agreed that RwR felt exactly like Who Dares Wins (from the old Amstrad CPC464) but online, with multiplayer and just so much more "bettererer" (sic).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:44 pm 
Site Admin

{SAS}DocStone wrote:
Ah, good to hear Pasik, and I should have said that my above thoughts are only with regards to PvP gameplay. I can see how it would be a great improvement for the "depth" of single player and Invasion style gameplay which is played at a completely different pacing from PvP though, and with the plans you have for those game modes (side objectives, random targets etc) it may be something that would grow on me, but to be honest those game modes just don't interest me very much, the same as the single player and co-op modes in BF3.

You have created something special in RwR, and I say this as a gamer who started out on the zx81 far, far too many years ago to post in an open forum, lol, but it speaks wonders for the game when once the Cannon Fodder memories went, both me and a Clan Mate agreed that RwR felt exactly like Who Dares Wins (from the old Amstrad CPC464) but online, with multiplayer and just so much more "bettererer" (sic).

Thank you, and yes, exactly, different strokes for different folks :D

I hope the players preferring the regular unrestricted sandbox type PvP with bots mode don't feel like left out as we're focusing on some Invasion specific features currently, but at least most of the enabling work done there benefits the regular mode as well.

It's possible to have different types of grenades and secondary weapons now, the objective tracking system is the exact same system used to catch chat messages and turn them to server admin commands, votekicking and plenty of other things (I know, the script updates still aren't out yet, been wrestling with the 3rd implementation of the RWR config tool for Linux the past few days), the drag & drop weapon rack interaction should be preferred by most over the previous tap-tap-tap-oops-taptaptaptaptap system, and it'll be easy to control which items will make an appearance in regular mode and which not (no medikits, vests, etc).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:00 pm 

newabortion wrote:
I dont know if this has been addressed or not, Im far too tired to read over all this but...Am I the only one who felt like the curser moved slower while in inventory? It felt sluggish, maby thats just me.

Don't know if anyone responded to your comment yet, but yeah it was brought up. And the response was along the lines of it being a matter of making that weapon swap and backpack use not something you can just do on the fly. Forcing the player to take cover and make an effort to re-equip a load out. Instead of just ending up with a system of quick switching between weapons. Plus as stated all over the place in these discussions, it appears the inventory is very much still in testing and finding proper implementation without being just a gun-sack. These guys appear to be working hard to make sure there is always a solid trade-off for side-activities in combat so we can't just run around and grab and switch willy-nilly.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:57 am 

Tadler wrote:
As for equipment there you can have C4, mines, minesweeper (obviously), radio jamming device (anti mortar).

What would be the point of having ANY of these? they would just slow down the flow of battle. Radio jamming device would make mortar strikes useless, and mines would slow down the dynamic feeling of the battlefield.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:33 am 
Site Admin

firearrows wrote:
Tadler wrote:
As for equipment there you can have C4, mines, minesweeper (obviously), radio jamming device (anti mortar).

What would be the point of having ANY of these? they would just slow down the flow of battle. Radio jamming device would make mortar strikes useless, and mines would slow down the dynamic feeling of the battlefield.

To me they sound good ideas, they would create new possibilities for strategies and therefore challenges for the enemy.

C4 for blowing up a number of enemy target(s) which have huge health and which can not be destroyed by grenades and bazookas (or it will take significant time) -> objective complete (reward + any event that fits what the target looks like, e.g. comms disabled temporarily, instant base capture, anything). Maybe a whole PvP game mode could be built around this technique, the C4 would take the place of primary weapon for someone (a VIP explosives guy) while others protect him taking to the target, the enemy defends.

Radio jamming device to make enemy mortar strikes useless, so that the enemy has an objective to hunt down that radio jamming device and destroy it first, if it wishes to use the strikes. Possibly buys time for the radio jamming party. Once there are reinforcement drop calls, this could be used to defend against lonewolf attacks to side bases, which usually would require a reinforcement drop to capture the base once the fighting starts. The lonewolf would have a challenge of destroying the radio jamming device while staying alive long enough to make the call for reinforcements.

Mines to make the enemy unable to attack from a specific direction, could also be set to work only with vehicles. A way to build you defense or use it as a trap for comms truck.

Call me crazy, but they seem they would not only work in Invasion but PvP too.