It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:45 am

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 64 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 250

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:53 am 

I made a random name generator really quickly, it follows the format: "The X Y of Z". There are text files for X Y and Z, just add to them whatever you want.

I started it off with some things, it makes REALLY funny names... Here are 50 examples:
The Satanic Squad of Algebra
The Spanish Group of Hatred
The Israeli Army of Holy
The Funny Federation of Pain
The Sweet Might of Death
The Turkish Squad of Vectors
The Satanic Army of Vectors
The American Country of Pain
The British Force of Good
The Christian Group of Brutality
The Mexican Force of Trigonometry
The Demonic Republic of Polynomials
The Swede Group of Goodness
The Icelandic Legion of Good
The Amazing Might of Algebra
The Canadian Army of Death
The Swede Country of Good
The Ukranian Squad of Hatred
The American Force of Hatred
The Horrific Federation of Pain
The Islamic Standard of Vectors
The Advanced Army of Pain
The Disgusting Squad of Holy
The Funny Federation of Pain
The Deep Standard of Brutality
The Mukry Force of Holy
The Newtonian Federation of Mathematics
The Disgusting Troop of Greatness
The Canadian Squad of Suffering
The British Force of Hatred
The Spanish Country of Mathematics
The Shallow Army of Pain
The Buddhist Squad of Vectors
The Horrific Group of Pain
The Norwegian Force of Graphs
The Satanic Army of Pain
The Italian Standard of Algebra
The British Squad of Mathematics
The Pythagorean Federation of Brutality
The Pythagorean Army of Suffering
The Icelandic Might of Vectors
The Satanic Group of Greatness
The Newtonian Legion of Magic
The Turkish Troop of Suffering
The Horrific Republic of Good
The Pythagorean Might of Trigonometry
The Islamic Standard of Vectors
The People's Squad of Polynomials
The Shallow Federation of Death
The People's Squad of Polynomials

.zip attached, enjoy :D

Attachments:
NameGeneratorFactions.zip [3.2 KiB]
Downloaded 583 times

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:18 am 

why theres "the" at the beginning on all names?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:54 am 
Site Admin

Haha! :lol: Getting a serious kick out of the math term inclusion, ingenious!

Randomization indeed produces pretty good stuff, and even if RWR would end up picking just fixed names (or maybe just optional default?) for the vanilla factions, I certainly would like some support for randomization to be there; it does fit the RWR way like metalmouth7 said as well. If nothing else, it might produce more interesting "war stories" to share.

We've been toying with some name ideas behind the scenes with a logic somewhat based on Royal Green Jackets (Regiment) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Green_Jackets by mostly using semirandom stuff, leading to diversions such as Imperial Brown Pants Brigade and so on. With randomization involved, it wouldn't actually hurt to have the uniform color integrated in the name one way or another as otherwise it's going to be just hard to say which faction is which I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:20 pm 

pasik wrote:
Imperial Brown Pants Brigade

I died.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:45 pm 

pasik wrote:
Haha! :lol: Getting a serious kick out of the math term inclusion, ingenious!

Randomization indeed produces pretty good stuff, and even if RWR would end up picking just fixed names (or maybe just optional default?) for the vanilla factions, I certainly would like some support for randomization to be there; it does fit the RWR way like metalmouth7 said as well. If nothing else, it might produce more interesting "war stories" to share.

We've been toying with some name ideas behind the scenes with a logic somewhat based on Royal Green Jackets (Regiment) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Green_Jackets by mostly using semirandom stuff, leading to diversions such as Imperial Brown Pants Brigade and so on. With randomization involved, it wouldn't actually hurt to have the uniform color integrated in the name one way or another as otherwise it's going to be just hard to say which faction is which I guess.

I think the soldiers should have names. Even silly ones (Like Dorm Wankson or Herp-Derp Njerp).

Btw. I'm totally with the randomness but I kind of foresee one problem (that I think is bigger than the names one) with it:
Green is going to have MURICA weapons (M16 - M240 - LAW)
Brown is going to have the Sovietsky weapons
Grey is having the "Euro-Germany" weapons

So unless your going to randomize the weapons for everyone too, they are going to have "national" weapons. On the other hand you could redesing weapon names and models a bit.

That would be cool... I have done some work towards the platforms-mod and I have to say that tar.gz works well as weapon name... (well... real world does have TAR 21 so..) :lol:
Maybe RWR could have like JM Hurtzall instead of FN , Cold M-10000 (binary for 16, or just 10000), Avtomatic Ledpoizoning 1.02, Njetank Njotatall bazooka, 360NS (360 no scope see) sniper rifle . And other silly stuff like that. Or not.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:20 pm 
Site Admin

Luck of Duck wrote:
I think the soldiers should have names. Even silly ones (Like Dorm Wankson or Herp-Derp Njerp).

Hmm, they have names. I consider Kalle Sauerkraut pretty oddball Grey name, no offense to Mr. Sauerkrauts out there. Most of them are fairly normal, but there are funnier ones among them.

Quote:
Btw. I'm totally with the randomness but I kind of foresee one problem (that I think is bigger than the names one) with it:
Green is going to have MURICA weapons (M16 - M240 - LAW)
Brown is going to have the Sovietsky weapons
Grey is having the "Euro-Germany" weapons

So unless your going to randomize the weapons for everyone too, they are going to have "national" weapons. On the other hand you could redesing weapon names and models a bit.

I wouldn't consider that an issue. At least in vanilla, the soldiers anyway have American/German/Russian names too, I'd think the faction naming would use similar faction specific word pools so that they'd vaguely fit this regional theme going on.

Anyhow, right now, the faction names will continue to be static, just for simplicity.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:23 am 

Brown faction should be called Browncoats. As a Firefly reference :p

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:41 am 

Luck of Duck wrote:

Custom English names will be live on the {SAS} Servers after their next restart in a few hours, so keep an eye out for Dick Johnson, Ron Runs With Wolves and Stinky Ramsbottom ;)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:34 am 

I kind of create a story in my head for each battle. The names my imagination has given them are as follows.

Green: United Front Armed Forces (United Front Republic)
Obviously US, UK, CA culture.
Background: A thriving republic. Mainly volunteer military with exceptional training, can excel in most combat situations. Entered the war after the port city of Levinsbrook was carpet bombed and invaded by the Slaviska Federation. Vönhelm Empire struck them a year later by ambushing an armored battalion en route to assault a Slaviskan Military Outpost. Military is motivated and seeking revenge. Soldiers are 18+.

Grey- Imperial Army (Vönhelm Empire)

Obviously Germanic
Background: The Vönhelm Empire is thousands of years old and it's military is extremely powerful with very rigorous training and is very dominant on the battlefield. It entered the war after the Slaviska Federation invaded their western territories. Citizens have a required 4 year military service term upon becoming 16 years old, they are ruthless and skillful.

Brown- Federatsiya Military (Slaviska Federation)
Obviously Slavic
Background: The Slaviska Federation was formed exactly 30 years after the Vönhelm Empire, they have been at war on and off ever since. It's military is very large, training is not very thorough but extremely intense, preferring training new recruits by sending them into combat and hardening them with fire and blood instead of drill and discipline. Enlistment is open to anyone upon turning 15, after becoming 17 enlistment for 4 years is required.

Possible factions

Blue- King's Army, Velkan Marine Corps (Kingdom of Velkan)
Background: As old as the Vönhelm Empire. Tough training and a nicely sized military, entered the war as a way to gain territory. Excels in amphibious landings.

Red- Liberation Army (Yanzhao Regime)
Obviously Chinese
Background: An unknown nation, said to be very powerful but cruel. Very large military.

White- Badlands Coalition Forces (Badlands)
Background: A organized force of rebels looking to win the war and create one large nation, very radical. Large force but inadequate training and equipment.