It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 12:35 am

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 43 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 42

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: [New Map] Clairemont
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:11 am 

ok I gave the map a try (I just rushed through it a while back).
First of, pretty cool map, the "corridors" feeling is something different :)

The map as a few technical design flaws that you can fix in no time and the AI would be very thankful if you do so :)
To avoid weird AI behaviour, try to respect the following rules:

• none of the platforms can intersect with walls
  • none of the walls can intersect with walls
  • none of the walls can intersect with buildings
  • none of the objects in general can intersect with another or buildings apart from buildings which can intersect each other

Here an example (just move the wall object a bit away from the building wall, so that the AI can pass between the building and the wall, else they will get stuck there):

Also I noticed several flickerings when buildings are intersecting each other (not an AI problem, as buildings can intersect).
Just add in the properties of the building object in inkscape: offset = 0 -0.2 0;
This will slightly offset the building roof in the height, so that those clipping glitches will vanish.

Try not to use boundary rectangles if not 100% needed as the AI isn't aware of boundary rectangles, they might just run against it and be stucked. You could just close some pathes with another high building instead of using a boudary rectangle.

Furthermore, you might use an avoid region path (check map3 in the avoid layer), just surround your water area with the avoid path so that the AI will try to avoid getting into the water.

Good job and I am pretty sure that a lot of players would like to see another map project starting from you :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:24 pm 
Site Admin

To clarify JackMayol's post about intersections, objects (any static custom meshes with box collision model, rocks, buildings and so forth) can in general intersect each other and the AI will be able to steer around these object groups, but you can't intersect walls with walls or walls with objects.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:01 am 

JackMayol, thank you for the suggetions! I have updated the map with changes to the hedge walls, and offset those two rooftops.

The border rectangles are a necessary evil. The AI will use the river even with an avoid path in place. Unless I'm not setting something up right? It looks like I just make a path with "avoid" in the ID field of the properties and create it in a layer called "avoid".

I am working on another map. Too early to say anything about it though. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:25 am 

I have played the map a few times and noticed that in almost every game, the green seemed to have a major advantage right from the beginning. At first I wondered why. but then I noticed this. It looks like most of the greys clump right in front of their base instead continuing and the rest of them gets stomped at both bridges.

Sometimes, the battles also devolve into trench warfare when both sides occupy trenches in sight of each other and futilely try to shoot each other; anyone who tries to change the tides by getting out of cover and running close enough to lob a grenade gets gunned down. At some places a player can outflank the enemies (provided he's lucky and the AIs are busy shooting someone else) but at a few, like Bridge (E), the only hope is to shoot at anything that moves and hope the enemy will be stupid enough to jump out of cover.

And a last, minor concern: having to run through the entire map after being killed gets annoying quickly, some spawn points near the middle of the city would be nice.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:19 pm 

Updated to Beta Version 2.2 on 2/18/13

*Added a few more spawn points around the mid section of the city
*Removed having Bases being assigned to each team. Now the map will play with random faction ownership as before.

I'm working on why the AI likes to bunch up on the roadway to the south of the City(N) base.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:49 am 

For some reason it doesn't work with the new update.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:26 pm 

I second that it comes up with error in

ProgramData/Running with rifles/rwr_game.log

Causing CTD when trying to map switch.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:10 am 

I'm currently reworking/fixing this map for 0.90 (or later releases depending on how long it takes.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:24 am 

This thing is dead, right? Because there appears to be a certain objects.svg thing that insists on failing to exist. That is, there is no objects.svg and it causes a little error message that tells me the game won't load.

I don't like it. Please make it stop if possible, because it is slowly driving me annoyed.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:

I fixed the object.svg issue, so I can say on my death bed that I actually accomplished something in life.

However, the game now has an issue with some crate texture, I think it's "face_1" or something. So now I'm back to square one with the famous death bed quote project. Maybe I could just pull something from MacBeth.